I'm thinking about declawing my cat

Opinions?

Try this. It stops the cat from scratching the furniture. Just be sure to have a scratching post it can use.

http://piscespets.com/products/cats...ning-sprays/hagen-indoor-cat-repellent-180-g/

Or this. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10870893

While a bit expensive it doesn't take much. Just spray the places it scratches. Usually cats just scratch in a couple of places and not all the furniture. The can will last a year, at least.

For a cheap scratching post pick up a piece of carpet at the Dollar Store. They usually have little mats. Try to get a looped carpet. It's stronger. Then head to the local lumber yard or hardware store and ask if they have any scrap 2X4 and a piece of plywood one foot square. Nail, or preferably screw and glue, a piece of 2X4 about 12" - 16" long standing up in the middle of the plywood and cover it with the carpet. Nail or staple the carpet.

Work great and lasts for years.

Finally, don't forget to cut your cat's nails if it doesn't go out. It has no way of wearing them down. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931208 OR http://www.walmart.com/ip/Millers-Forge-Pet-Nail-Scissors/16901079

Be sure to get the type that has a round hole as opposed to the usual shape of scissors. That way the claw passes through the hole and makes the job a lot easier. It's very important to just cut off the very end. It looks similar to a rose bush thorn only white or clear. Stay away from the part that has the red vein because if you cut that the cat will rip your face off! :whoa:

The best time to cut the cat's nails is when it's resting. Definitely do not try to trim their nails when they're running around the house or you have to chase the cat to get it. Often it's best to cut one or two paws at a time and don't forget to check the back ones as well.

Frequently the nail grows long and curves so that it sticks in the cat's paw resulting in it trying to remove it. That's why it scratches the furniture. If you keep the nails trimmed it will scratch a lot less.

MEOW

for the record i was also trolling. cats can have claws for all i care.
raw

Well, again, for the record, I don't have a cat, and I've not made a single pro-declawing statement on the thread. My only trolling was broaching the subject. I read a cracked article that Grind linked me to about threads that inevitably started flame wars, and started a thread on each of those subjects.

yeah billy, not this time. there were 6 topics that have flame wars. surprised no one took the claw side though. I did, but I have no horse in this race.

Well, again, for the record, I don't have a cat, and I've not made a single pro-declawing statement on the thread. My only trolling was broaching the subject. I read a cracked article that Grind linked me to about threads that inevitably started flame wars, and started a thread on each of those subjects.
You are fucking retarded.

yeah billy, not this time. there were 6 topics that have flame wars. surprised no one took the claw side though. I did, but I have no horse in this race.
Considering that my ideal cat has been mounted by a taxidermist I don't have a horse in this race either.

Ok, I'll admit that cats are pretty good for certain medical experiments and learning comparative anatomy and the occasional stir fry recipe.....but that's about it really

Considering that my ideal cat has been mounted by a taxidermist I don't have a horse in this race either.

Ok, I'll admit that cats are pretty good for certain medical experiments and learning comparative anatomy and the occasional stir fry recipe.....but that's about it really

That's 4 more uses than your average Ohioan.

I was wondering, because I remember you mentioned having a dog at one time.

I was wondering, because I remember you mentioned having a dog at one time.

A few years ago I baby-sat my brother's African gray parrot. It would stay out of the cage all day and return at night. The cage was placed about a foot from a small cabinet on which one of my cats would sit and the bird and cat stared each other down. They had an uneasy truce. :rofl:

It was a noisy, dirty bird! Seeds all over the floor. Althought it did say, "Good-bye", to my wife each morning as she left for work.

Back