APP - Is digital technology making children’s lives better?

right.

nobody talks about neutral link or chips in the brain.

I'm making it all up.

you're right.

:tardthoughts:

People talk about a lot of things. Lizard people who rule the world. Elvis is still alive. And yes, they talk about neural links and chips in the brain.

But you are the only one I have seen talking about foregoing the entire internet from fear. Or of holding your children back.

People talk about a lot of things. Lizard people who rule the world. Elvis is still alive. And yes, they talk about neural links and chips in the brain.

But you are the only one I have seen talking about foregoing the entire internet from fear. Or of holding your children back.
right.

because it's smart to let a corportion put a chip in your head.

good dads chip their children.

:truestory:

Children now have better access to information and more of it but it also requires less human interaction.

In your opinions is this a positive or negative for children?

it does seem like it's having a negative impact on children, they are interacting less, grow up more isolated, socially crippled.

Not everyone, of course, but it does seem to be a thing that is happening. If I had children, I would disallow cell phones, and would limit computer access to doing homework and maybe an hour chatting with friends. Outside of that, it's outside to play with other children, or off to the library.
My parents were always chasing me outside to get away from the TV, which they thought were having a negative impact on me. I'm glad they did.

it does seem like it's having a negative impact on children, they are interacting less, grow up more isolated, socially crippled.

Not everyone, of course, but it does seem to be a thing that is happening. If I had children, I would disallow cell phones, and would limit computer access to doing homework and maybe an hour chatting with friends. Outside of that, it's outside to play with other children, or off to the library.
My parents were always chasing me outside to get away from the TV, which they thought were having a negative impact on me. I'm glad they did.

Children should not have unfettered and unsupervised access to the internet.

But that does not mean they should not have any access at all.

Technology can be a great addition to a child's life. The almost unlimited knowledge at their fingertips is unlike anything in history.

At the same time, they need supervision while doing it. There are many other things that will grab their attention.
Have you read Anxious Generation by Jonathan Haidt? (it's about kids and social media)

No I haven't. I'll have to look for it.
It's an incredible read and I've heard numerous parents and administrators at my daughter's school talk about it. Basically it's about how social media (negatively) affect young kids, especially girls.

The toothpaste is out of the bottle so to speak in that social media isn't going to go away but knowing the negative effects it has on kids, we can do things to try and limit it.

Back