Is the fair tax act a good idea?

Yes I do. Anytime the minority says a peep about anything (Gee, guys, I'm being sent to prison for life for owning a pound of marijunia, don't you think that's kind of crazy?) the majority finds it right to whine to high heaven about it, say they are oppressed (ZOMG LOCK HIM UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY HE CHOSE IT I HAVE NO SYMPATHY MURDERER!?!/1). Only the majority has free speech.

The majority always gets their way, and complains in the rare instances they don't, like whenever they violate the constitution.

Please stop hating. It's so ugly.

Lets replace income tax all together for more fair taxes. Lets tax somethign other than hard work.... like inheritance for example or consumption.

Why can't we tax Americans $5 a year to help feed starving kids?
I told you why you would have problems passing it. And I was very accurate in my description.

You heard from the left how it would negatively impact the poor to pay it.

You heard from the left how it should be payed in a progressive system because of that.

You heard that there is enough problems here to solve without trying to solve the world's problems...

Whether or not I support this idea, the fact is that it wouldn't pass as you have proposed it. And by the time you were done it would still be underfunded.

I thought it was a 33% sales tax, which sounds pretty high... possibly reduce consumer spending in our consumer driven economy.

I agree..........

I thought it was a 33% sales tax, which sounds pretty high... possibly reduce consumer spending in our consumer driven economy.

Huckabee is pushing this tax reform also...this is one issue I disagree with him on...They claim it would be fair since manufacturing always adds this tax to the end product anyway...this makes no sense whatsoever...and if this were true which it probably is...they would not lower there prices if this tax reform became law...so in the end the consumer gets it in the proverbial rear again!

I believe it is usually proposed at around 23%. It would cause a bit of sticker shock at first...

17% Flat rate on income, however with a few simple deductions the lower income families would essentially pay little or none. Your tax return would be simple {size of a postcard} and it would greatly reduce the IRS.

I agree...........

17% Flat rate on income, however with a few simple deductions the lower income families would essentially pay little or none. Your tax return would be simple {size of a postcard} and it would greatly reduce the IRS.

on this one issue of yours...however I think the flat rate should be 10% and apply to everyone...rich or poor...the lower income level comment would be acceptable as long as the upper class pays their 10%! without any deductions...corporations as well!

what's the income cap for little to no taxes? I imagine there are different rates for two different categories but you got a ball park figure?

Also do you have any objective information on the potential revenue loss vs. gains?

I am opposed to all of the so-called "fair tax" -- that is, flat tax -- proposals I've ever read. They're all premised by the assumption that everyone paying the same percentage of their income as tax is somehow fair. I don't accept that definition of fairness.

Well goody goody gumdrops!

Also do you have any objective information on the potential revenue loss vs. gains?

It will be a gain obviously. The book is only about 200 pages and can be read in a weekend. Check it out at a library or buy a copy for your bookshelf. I won't be able to do it justice in a few sentances.

Back