Is the US ready for a black president ?

uscitizen

Villified User
Rice is saying the USA is ready for a black president. What do you think ?
Which party would support a black candidate the best ?
Would a black female or male candidate far the best ? or no difference based on sex ?

I'd like to think that she's right, but like you I live in the middle of nowhere and it's just too hard to gauge how the whole country might accept a black presidential candidate. The Democratic Party would probably fare better, as it has historically supported members of minorities better than the Rs have and its members, I presume, would also be more accepting. (Just over 40 years ago, there was a huge furor over JFK being a Catholic, for Pete's sake!)

I think that people in general will be most favorably inclined to the candidate who has the most credibility and, as a part of that, who is perceived to be both sincere and competent. Strategically, it's been suggested that the VP slot might be the best way to go for a minority candidate, but I disagree if that person is seen to be the stronger of the two on the ticket.

A well written good reply Thorn.

You are right, watch to see what happens if a black republican candidate shows up. Do you think they would Try Rice as a VP to get more black and womens vote ?

A well written good reply Thorn.

You are right, watch to see what happens if a black republican candidate shows up. Do you think they would Try Rice as a VP to get more black and womens vote ?

Thanks, usc. I seem to recall that recently, Rice said that she wouldn't be interested in running for either office. I can see the party trying to convince her, though, for just the reasons you mentioned. I'm so damned sick of all the spin!

Another topic: I'd really love to see some legislation in place that would force candidates to be accountable for what they say during a campaign!

Amen Sister!!!
Also to have to post a resume that is required to be accurate. Heck you have to do that to sling burgers, but not to be president ? What a country ;)

Remember Thorn that political advertisements are SPECIFICALLY exempt from the truth in advertising law.

Rice is saying the USA is ready for a black president. What do you think ?
Which party would support a black candidate the best ?
Would a black female or male candidate far the best ? or no difference based on sex ?

I think we've been ready for a while. If the GOP had ran Colin Powell in 1992 (which would have required Poppy Bush to step aside), I think Powell would have beat both Clinton and Perot.

Rice doens't have a chance. Her name is associated with failure (Iran, Iraq, North Korea), and I can't think of a single substantial accomplishment she has made. In anything.

I don't know about all of America, but pigmentation is never an issue to me on where I cast a vote.

Condi has never run for political office, and the presidency is not the one to get your feet wet on. Sure, I suppose you can say, it has been done... Ike did it, but he was a national hero at the time. Not to take anything away from Condi, but half of the country would love to see her fail. It's a different age than Eisenhower, and Condi is not Eisenhower. I just can't see her running a flawless presidential campaign and winning the white house.

To the question of race, or gender, I don't think that matters to America, if it's the right person for the job. I think Colin Powell could have won in a landslide against Clinton. I think Hillary might very well be the next president, she is certainly a contender. The fact that people are talking about Condi in the same breath as the Presidency, is evidence that America is not as divided as some might think. I can honestly see the case, where the first black president is also the first woman president, but I think it will have to be a person who transcends all the typical stereotypes and prejudice.

I don't know about all of America, but pigmentation is never an issue to me on where I cast a vote.

but pigmentation is never an issue to me

It must be for republicans. There's not a single black or hispanic republican in the US House of Representatives.

And, I think there's like maybe 7 or 8 black republican state legislators in the entire country - all 50 states

:pke: :D

This question is silly ... especially here in the year 2006/07 and talking about 2008. Im talking about the word ready .... and this has been the word the press has been using... and to me it is a slap in the face to African Americans... namely Obama and Rice ..the two that have been touted as Presidential Timber by the members of their party ...

Aside from skin color.... Lets look at these two objectively...

What is it about Obama that has his party so excited? That he speaks well? He is charasmatic? Thats fine and dandy...and it is a great quality for a leader to have ... but has he walked the walk? Isnt this a vital ingredient? Idea's ? What are they? Ive heard him talk about Health Care and Full Employment .. that he was originally against Bush's cluster fuck that is Iraq... but since he has been a Senator has he submitted any legislation that supports his Idea's....or has he been too busy on the speaking circuit laying a foundation for his Presidential Ambitions?

On the other hand Rice has worked her way into the position of Secretary of State...she has become the highest appointed African American Women in the Histroy of the USA. She has a mighty impressive resume ...both in Government and Acadamia.... Considering the failures of this administration I do agree with some who say she has not performed all that impressively ... that said.. it would be hard for me to pull the lever for her as well.

Giving individuals a free pass because of skin pigmentation and soley for the purpose of becoming the first party with an African American President is as ridiculous as the question itself.

"It must be for republicans. There's not a single black or hispanic republican in the US House of Representatives.

And, I think there's like maybe 7 or 8 black republican state legislators in the entire country - all 50 states"

Now is that because Republicans won't elect black reps? or because most of the black population votes overwhelmingly Dem and most blacks who choose to run do so as Dems?

"perhaps, but why would they not want to run as republicans ?"

Because they know that black REPUBLICANS have to go through all the "Uncle Tom" bullshit..... and why deal with that if you can simply get elected as a Dem?

"perhaps, but why would they not want to run as republicans ?"

Because they know that black REPUBLICANS have to go through all the "Uncle Tom" bullshit..... and why deal with that if you can simply get elected as a Dem?

Good point. I'm sure it has absolutly nothing to do with the message the republican party tries to sell: Pro-iraq war, anti-affirmative action, anti-minimum wage, pro-confederate flag, anti-"welfare queen", etc

Back