Is There A Fix For S.N.A.P.? Or is it just done?

I actually don't have an issue with someone on SNAP having a 'blow out' of sorts, as long as planning is involved. I guess I've not given into endorsing payment in kind, yet.

I'm educated, disgustingly so. For the past three years have had a miniscule budget. For 2 months, 2 years ago got SNAP. Haven't been hungry other than by choice and have always had good nutritional food in the house. As I said, I've the degrees, from Top tier universities to boot. However I'm 58, severely hearing impaired since birth, both take a toll on re-employment after being RIF'd at 55. That is what it is.

It doesn't take a HS diploma to recognize that produce and proteins are better for your body than candy, cookies, cakes, chips and pop. So, let's make the assumption that most get that.

Now let's say that one wants there limited food budget to stretch as far as possible. Look for sales on expensive part, proteins. Better yet, look for 'Clearance/Managers Specials.' 30-50% off. a 3# piece of meat can be cooked with a pound-1 1/2 pounds of veggies and a pound of starch for 12-15 generous servings of lunch/dinner. Freeze into individual containers for self or family.

Breakfast? Oatmeal, eggs, toast with peanut butter. I watch both cholesterol and sodium. I'm big on oatmeal, though I hated it for most of my life. I use steel cut oats from Aldi. I add 2 T brown sugar, handful of dried blueberries, cranberries, raisins, and nuts to single serve. I use nonfat milk instead of water. It's a fruit compote with crunch and fiber. Very filling and helps my blood pressure.

I live in a very competitive area for groceries. Nearly always can find lunch meat on sale for $5 lb or less. While mostly I can make sandwiches from what I've cooked, there are times the deli comes in handy. Mostly I do wraps, usually on sale and I freeze extras. I use hummus or guacamole in place of mayo or butter. Include low fat cheese, tomato and spinach as condiments.

I eat at least 2 non-fat yogurts per day, as I do not like milk. Snacks are nekkid veggies, cheese, crackers.

Over ripe or molding veggies/produce I use for facials/scrubs/or hair treatments. I try not to throw away anything I can use.

Great post Annie.

I changed my mind due to information like most should be able to do.

I thought EBT should only be used on basic healthy foods that provide substance and nutrition. But when hearing Annie say she was "severely hearing impaired since birth" I realized that I was assuming everyone on EBT is in a temporary position and didn't think about the permanent conditions like the blind/deaf. You struck a cord with me because people were spreading "People on welfare shouldn't be allowed to buy alchol or cigarettes" and my response was always "If you were blind and unable to work you aren't allowed to have a glass of beer?"

You are correct. Americans should set the amount, and the person should budget this. If the person wants a beer or two let them budget around it with cheaper foods. My focus was on the abusers and not on the people who truly need it. Thanks for correcting me.

Look at what is happening on this thread with a common sense middle without bias. I see the Right and the Left agreeing. Indirectly Annie and Rana shook hands.

Annie~ "I'd like those that truly need it to have enough to make sense. Same as my take on most programs, get rid of cheaters and give the whole amount to those that need. Might not be in benefits, but in training or related." This is extremely significant because most Conservatives I've met have that exact same perspective.

Rana~ "I am not sure how many people buy the most expensive? Most Likey the ones committing fraud who don't need the asistance.

The stories I hear are about elderly and the mentally handicapped. How the merger amounts they receive, monthly, they have to make wise choices what to buy at the store to make it last. I also hear of the elderly who qualify, but because they don't want to be a taker don't apply. These are the elderly that skip their medication to make it last so they can buy groceries or heat their homes.

I agree ID would make sense."

THIS is what America needs again. Smart people focused on a topic instead of a win. Both of you all have much, much more respect/attention in my book.

I understand that there is abuse of the cards,but by no means does that mean that the food stamp. s program should be shut down. Abuse happens with all programs. The biggest abuse is corporations receiving government aid in the billions of dollars in American taxes that they dont need,but no one on the right seems to be complaining about that waste of tax dollars.

Whoa! Didn't take you long to change the subject, did it?

Can you give us an example of "corporations receiving government aid in the billions of dollars in American taxes they don't need"?

I'm not talking about legitimate tax deductions corporations receive (research and development, overseas taxes paid, etc.), but instead what you implied here... that the government cuts checks in the billions of dollars to corporations.

Can you provide an example? Other than Solyndra I mean.

Annie~ "I'd like those that truly need it to have enough to make sense. Same as my take on most programs, get rid of cheaters and give the whole amount to those that need. Might not be in benefits, but in training or related." This is extremely significant because most Conservatives I've met have that exact same perspective.

Rana~ "I am not sure how many people buy the most expensive? Most Likey the ones committing fraud who don't need the asistance.

Years back I left my apartment and moved in with my aging beloved, now departed, mother to help take care of her. She applied for a seniors state property tax rebate. On the application she had to list everyone in the household and how much money they earned. They told her they cross reference all applications with DMV records, and if it was found she omitted anyone they would deny her application and she would be forever banned from re-applying.

Well, ain't that some shit? A life-long taxpayer looking for some relief in her golden years being treated like that.

Why can't the welfare system do a similar cross-reference? As in, "Hey, you're receiving SNAP benefits because you're supposedly impoverished, but the DMV records show you have a Cadillac Escalade registered in your name. Please explain."

There's an entire underground economy out there of people working off-the-books, earning salaries, and having no reportable income. Cap that untaxed salary off with the full benefits package; subsidized housing, free medical care, and free groceries, and you end up with a pretty nice livelihood.

Start with: DMV cross checks. Bank accounts through Social Security numbers. And credit card checks.

It's really quite simple. And as I pointed out, the government already does it to life-long taxpayers. So obviously there's a reason they won't do it to welfare recipients. Why is that?

I'm in NYC, and usually I'm the only person on line in the supermarket that doesn't have an EBT card and pays cash. Oddly enough, the people I see leave after using their EBT cards have some of the flashiest cars in the parking lot.

The fraud is rampant and obvious. Steps to rein in the fraud are self-evident and already in place for other programs. Nobody will hit the switch because its all designed as a scam to buy votes. Case closed.

I actually don't have an issue with someone on SNAP having a 'blow out' of sorts, as long as planning is involved. I guess I've not given into endorsing payment in kind, yet.

I'm educated, disgustingly so. For the past three years have had a miniscule budget. For 2 months, 2 years ago got SNAP. Haven't been hungry other than by choice and have always had good nutritional food in the house. As I said, I've the degrees, from Top tier universities to boot. However I'm 58, severely hearing impaired since birth, both take a toll on re-employment after being RIF'd at 55. That is what it is.

It doesn't take a HS diploma to recognize that produce and proteins are better for your body than candy, cookies, cakes, chips and pop. So, let's make the assumption that most get that.

Now let's say that one wants there limited food budget to stretch as far as possible. Look for sales on expensive part, proteins. Better yet, look for 'Clearance/Managers Specials.' 30-50% off. a 3# piece of meat can be cooked with a pound-1 1/2 pounds of veggies and a pound of starch for 12-15 generous servings of lunch/dinner. Freeze into individual containers for self or family.

Breakfast? Oatmeal, eggs, toast with peanut butter. I watch both cholesterol and sodium. I'm big on oatmeal, though I hated it for most of my life. I use steel cut oats from Aldi. I add 2 T brown sugar, handful of dried blueberries, cranberries, raisins, and nuts to single serve. I use nonfat milk instead of water. It's a fruit compote with crunch and fiber. Very filling and helps my blood pressure.

I live in a very competitive area for groceries. Nearly always can find lunch meat on sale for $5 lb or less. While mostly I can make sandwiches from what I've cooked, there are times the deli comes in handy. Mostly I do wraps, usually on sale and I freeze extras. I use hummus or guacamole in place of mayo or butter. Include low fat cheese, tomato and spinach as condiments.

I eat at least 2 non-fat yogurts per day, as I do not like milk. Snacks are nekkid veggies, cheese, crackers.

Over ripe or molding veggies/produce I use for facials/scrubs/or hair treatments. I try not to throw away anything I can use.

Dang, I actually got lost in my minutia, my point was that while one may be day-to-day following a very strict budget to make ends meet, there may come a day that is totally about celebrating and you are the host. It may cause havoc for the rest of the month, but if planned for, the lunches and dinners are already in the freezer, not counting the left overs from the 'blow out.'

Perhaps a cart has a beef tenderloin, crab legs, sea scallops, asparagus, broccolini and other pricey purchases. One has no way of knowing that this one shopping trip was 3 months in the making. It was a year or 6 month blow out, it is really not your business.

I have more problems with someone not shopping sales and buying nutritionally void stuff. A bag of chips doesn't phase me, 5 bags do, especially with unhealthy dips, cookies, candies, sugar drinks.

Annie, I don't often single out your posts, but I thought this was a great one. It shows that even for highly educated people, SNAP can become essential. Throw in female on top of being older and having disabilities, and any of us can be there.

You also show we shouldn't judge anyone based on one shopping cart load. You don't know what is going on and, like you said, they may have a special occasion coming up.

The other thing I would mention is that while you sound like you are pretty careful, a lot of cheap food is high calorie food, and so people get it because they can get cheap calories. Not necessarily nutritional - but I can't judge against them for getting enough calories for their families.

Oh -also - many people on SNAP don't have access to great grocery stores without having to take a long bus ride, so that can also affect what they get and what sales they can hit.

Years back I left my apartment and moved in with my aging beloved, now departed, mother to help take care of her. She applied for a seniors state property tax rebate. On the application she had to list everyone in the household and how much money they earned. They told her they cross reference all applications with DMV records, and if it was found she omitted anyone they would deny her application and she would be forever banned from re-applying.

Well, ain't that some shit? A life-long taxpayer looking for some relief in her golden years being treated like that.

Why can't the welfare system do a similar cross-reference? As in, "Hey, you're receiving SNAP benefits because you're supposedly impoverished, but the DMV records show you have a Cadillac Escalade registered in your name. Please explain."

There's an entire underground economy out there of people working off-the-books, earning salaries, and having no reportable income. Cap that untaxed salary off with the full benefits package; subsidized housing, free medical care, and free groceries, and you end up with a pretty nice livelihood.

Start with: DMV cross checks. Bank accounts through Social Security numbers. And credit card checks.

It's really quite simple. And as I pointed out, the government already does it to life-long taxpayers. So obviously there's a reason they won't do it to welfare recipients. Why is that?

I'm in NYC, and usually I'm the only person on line in the supermarket that doesn't have an EBT card and pays cash. Oddly enough, the people I see leave after using their EBT cards have some of the flashiest cars in the parking lot.

The fraud is rampant and obvious. Steps to rein in the fraud are self-evident and already in place for other programs. Nobody will hit the switch because its all designed as a scam to buy votes. Case closed.

The income of the residents in the house is only considered if they are listed as owners on the property.

Annie, I don't often single out your posts, but I thought this was a great one. It shows that even for highly educated people, SNAP can become essential. Throw in female on top of being older and having disabilities, and any of us can be there.

You also show we shouldn't judge anyone based on one shopping cart load. You don't know what is going on and, like you said, they may have a special occasion coming up.

The other thing I would mention is that while you sound like you are pretty careful, a lot of cheap food is high calorie food, and so people get it because they can get cheap calories. Not necessarily nutritional - but I can't judge against them for getting enough calories for their families.

Oh -also - many people on SNAP don't have access to great grocery stores without having to take a long bus ride, so that can also affect what they get and what sales they can hit.

Now that is an argument that's never made sense to me, nor has the 'no time' one. One can pick up a crock pot or dutch oven at Goodwill for a couple bucks. I think on the Ohio thread Mott and I were talking some 'recipes.' Onions, celery, carrots, chunk of meat, (literally any: beef, pork, poultry), I always add potatoes, squash, left over veggies. For every 3# of meat, I add 4 cups of veggies. Add water or stock or canned soup, (aldi's .39), slow cook til falling apart.

I get to the market early morning or late afternoon, that's when the meats are put on clearance to move them out. I rarely spend more than 2.99 a lb, even for top sirloin. I try to buy roasts, as one cooking period makes 10-15 single servings that can be frozen and zapped when needed.

I have a grill and again by wise shopping, I put ground turkey or beef, variety of sausages, chicken pieces sliced onions, peppers, and squash in freezer until I have enough to load up the grill. In an hour, have plenty of cooked food in freezer for when I want some bar-b-que.

While my 'thriftiness' is new, I've always cooked and baked healthy. Not much change there. While I don't eat out now, unless invited by a friend or family, didn't do often when I could. Always have seen that as a treat, not a lifestyle.

I like meat, in moderation. On my plate, 1/5 would be protein, 2/5 veggies, 2/5 starch. I shop sales, yesterday picked up Edy's low fat yogurt for 2.15. That will easily last a month.

When I see people saying how 'impossible' it is to eat on $4.50 per day, that is if one only has that amount in one week. Most people have more than just their purchases from one week. Soup, rice, noodles, beans, etc are found in most people's cabinets. Indeed, if one had 0 food and just picked up SNAP card, those are the things to pick up first, not boxes of mac n' cheese which are one fors. Noodles, soup, can of tuna, peas & carrots, cheese can make enough for 6 and is not empty calories.

The income of the residents in the house is only considered if they are listed as owners on the property.

... and how do you know that?

Oh yeah, you don't. Unless you happen to be an authority on New York State property tax laws.

If you want to have a serious conversation, I'm willing. But please don't make stuff up as you go along just to counter everything I say.

Last edited:
Back