Is this the world's scariest bridge?

There's a few out west that are way up there. I know that driving across the Macinac bridge was a white knuckle experience and it's only 250 feet above the water and driving over the New River Gorge Bridge I about vapor locked. It's about 1,000 ft over the river. I've never driven over the Royal Gorge Bridge in CO and I pretty much don't want too. It's also about 1,000 feet over the river but it's longer than New River Gorge Bridge.

The New River gorge is awesome. I've driven over it many times, even hiked to the bottom (or near bottom) using these stairs. There's a catwalk under the road you can cross but you have to be harnessed. I'm trying to work up the nerve to do it, even with my fear of heights.

320px-New_River_Gorge_Bridge_walkway.jpg

The New River gorge is awesome. I've driven over it many times, even hiked to the bottom (or near bottom) using these stairs. There's a catwalk under the road you can cross but you have to be harnessed. I'm trying to work up the nerve to do it, even with my fear of heights.

Fuck those catwalks. My buddy and I did this on the last stretch of our road trip and it was EXHAUSTING.

There's a few out west that are way up there. I know that driving across the Macinac bridge was a white knuckle experience and it's only 250 feet above the water and driving over the New River Gorge Bridge I about vapor locked. It's about 1,000 ft over the river. I've never driven over the Royal Gorge Bridgein CO and I pretty much don't want too. It's also about 1,000 feet over the river but it's longer than New River Gorge Bridge.

Pussy. I fly across that bridge.

I wouldn't advise it for anyone with heart or lung problems.

Well Mike has heart problems now, but mostly it was being stuck in a car driving 20 hours a day for 8 days, subsisting on gas station hot dogs and McChickens. Not exactly the sort of preliminary exercises one should do before anything other than a Terry Shivo reenactment.

I think I could deal with the stairs. Don't know about the cat walk though. I don't have a phobia about heights per se but I'm not very comfortable with them either. Twould be a good way to face the fear though.

It's weird. It's come on with age. When I was your age I was completely comfortable with heights. Didn't bother me at all. About the time I was in my mid 30's I started to feel less and less comfortable with heights.
My acrophobia came on when I was six, on the observation deck of the Empire State Building. I was clinging to the wall opposite of the railing and my 13 year old brother picked me up and brought me over to the edge.

I have never forgiven him.

The article notes, "Anyone afraid of heights should probably give this walkway a miss - because at 1,500ft above a glacier it could be 'the world's scariest bridge".

But I get your point. I'm planning on building something like this next spring over a portion of my fish pond.

images

That bridge just leaves me cold! :eek:

It's weird. It's come on with age. When I was your age I was completely comfortable with heights. Didn't bother me at all. About the time I was in my mid 30's I started to feel less and less comfortable with heights.

Heights are the only thing I'm afraid of, but that bridge is fine.

Back