its ok for dems to defend america, but not for republicans

For me not shopping at wally world is not a viable option. shop at wally world or drive 1 hour each way to bypass shopping at wally world.

It takes about a half hour to get to the WalMart here.... We do shop at King Soopers though. That's another 15 or so minutes.

Some towns fight to keep WalMart out.

Their stores tend to destroy the mom and pop businesses in towns.

My town's economy thrives on small business and local entrepeunerialship.

We keep walmart out. It would destroy our local businesses. Which are the heart of our economy.

It takes about a half hour to get to the WalMart here.... We do shop at King Soopers though. That's another 15 or so minutes.

i have two within 14 miles of my house, they both are on the sme road, and about 6 miles from each other.... not vary brite planers

That must have already happened in USCs area since he has nowhere else to shop now.
Yep between wally world, Krogers and a couple of auto parts chains, most of the local stuff is gone. Of course local is a relative term except for the country store at the bottom of the hill I drive at least 1/2 hour to get to anywhere to shop. I joined the only locally owned bank in town 5 yrs ago when I moved here, 1.5 years later they sold our to a national chain. So I think that in many cases local greed sells out our own area.

I hate the parking lots at the ones near me. One entrance and exit around here is suicide.

While it does happen that Walmart can destroy local businesses, usually the local people are happy when it comes as there really are no local businesses to speak of.

We can take for example the nearest town to me where we have a Barbecue Restaurant, a Feed Store, car repair, and a convenience store. Along with several sundry stores like antiques and stuffed animals...

Walmart might take out the stuffed animal store, but really do you think it does such smashing business anyway? It is run from a person's house...

But, Damo:

WallMarts are now into banking, auto service, pharmacies, optometry, vision and eyeglasses, as well as clothing and electronics, books and videos. I think some of them have gasoline too.

Christ, they'll probably have dentists next.

These are the small businesses that keep many a local economy afloat. And with small businesse, the money and profits stay in the community. The profits don't go to Arkansas.

the optomistrists and such sort of rent space in wallmart and I am not sure actually work for wall mart, but I could be wrong.
I believe wally world got smacked down on the banking, on their own. Someone might have a brance in their store though.
Heck food lion in FL had a branch bank in their store.

They contract offices out to the Optometrist... Basically the local optometrist would move into their new building. They don't manufacture and bring them in. That is a falsehood. Just as with banking, the banks are simply branches of regular banks of the area, Pharmacists are also contracted from the area... They only "ruin" local businesses if you ignore the fact that centralizing simply helped those local businesses who contracted with them.

Hmmmm....

are you sure the locally-established optometrists and pharmacists with long ties to the community want to relocate to Walmart? Or do they even have that option? Or does Walmart simply bid out their service to pharmacy companies and optometrists who may not even neccessarily live in the community?

Change often leaves most of us no option but to change cypress. If you want to stay in business you go with the flow of the market.

Damo,

My town has a thriving, quaint, and profitable downtown business district.

Relocating the drug store, the optometrist, and the clothing retailers to Walmart would destroy the nature of our downtown. Not to mention, profits would go largely to Arkansas, rather than staying in the community.

Damo,

My town has a thriving, quaint, and profitable downtown business district.

Relocating the drug store, the optometrist, and the clothing retailers to Walmart would destroy the nature of our downtown. Not to mention, profits would go largely to Arkansas, rather than staying in the community.

but it is a publicly trade company on the stock market ???
According to spinner you just need to buy wally wolrd stock and not worry about your business closing ;)

Back