its ok for dems to defend america, but not for republicans

Damo,

My town has a thriving, quaint, and profitable downtown business district.

Relocating the drug store, the optometrist, and the clothing retailers to Walmart would destroy the nature of our downtown. Not to mention, profits would go largely to Arkansas, rather than staying in the community.
Relocating may change the face of your community, but it only would change the place of business for the Optometrist (if you have one you don't live in as small a town as you thnk).

Once again, the vast majority of the time Walmart moves to places where the antique shop doesn't close and the Walmart moves in providing what they didn't have before. Places who already have what Walmart has to offer generally fight their entry.

Saying, Walmart would change the face of my community, isn't enough to make them this evil monster because of what they would do if you allowed them in...

We are not doomed because of Walmart. It is silly to suggest that we are.

Damo, I begin to get the feeling that many people are being used for other purposes against the Wally world giant.

The local mega chain moving in here and running all the local businesses out has been long, about 35 years. First it was a state level Chain of Maloneys, then Roses, then K mart, then Walmart......

Saying, Walmart would change the face of my community, isn't enough to make them this evil monster because of what they would do if you allowed them in...

I never said WalMart shouldn't be in other communities.

I just don't want them in mine.

I've lived in small towns with Wallmarts. The downtown business districst was boarded up, run down, abandoned, and pathetic.

I prefer living in a town with a thriving downtown, and profitable and successful small businesses that are tied to the local community.

But, that's just me.

The local mega chain moving in here and running all the local businesses out has been long, about 35 years. First it was a state level Chain of Maloneys, then Roses, then K mart, then Walmart......

To me, its sad to see those small towns with abandoned and empty downtown business districts.

I never said WalMart shouldn't be in other communities.

I just don't want them in mine.

I've lived in small towns with Wallmarts. The downtown business districst was boarded up, run down, abandoned, and pathetic.

I prefer living in a town with a thriving downtown, and profitable and successful small businesses that are tied to the local community.

But, that's just me.
I live near many small towns and not one of them is boarded up. The businesses are just of a different type. I believe you may be unnecessarily alarmist.

Its a case by case basis Damo.

No one is making any blanket statements here. That why there are local and county planning commissions - so that the balance between corporate development, small business, and other societal needs can be studied and debated in a public, rational and empirical manner.

Back