Jade's Recipe Exchange.

Dear gods, yes. Onions rings are so good, and (for me anyways) so hard to make at home.... with the perfect combination of a light, thin, crispy coating and delectably juicy onionness underneath the breading.

It's one of the things I miss eating. I actually had a few times that I used to, just make a meal out of a large plate of onion rings.

For now, would you like to make this about holiday recipes?

I find many things can be holiday recipes. Christmas big ones are roasts, casseroles, cookies, boozy drinks, sweet breads like fruitcake, brioche, and challah. I'd prefer to just let the person posting decide for themselves.

Ribs today. 3-2-1 method.

A light brushing of Dijon+Worcestershire and covered with a good dry pork rub.

Smoked with apple at 180 degrees for 3 hours.

Removed and wrapped in foil after brushing with a mixture of brown sugar, honey and apple juice. Two hours at 225 degrees.

Removed from foil and swabbed with a Sweet & Heat BBQ sauce. Returned to smoker at 250 degrees for one hour to finish. (Probably should have gone to 275)

I have a recipe of sorts.

Homemade extracts.

Take fine chopped dried fruit, herbs, or spice, and fill half full into a good size jar, or container. Fill the rest with cheap vodka, and lid up for at least a month. Make sure to shake it every once, and awhile. Filter with cheese cloth, and store in same jar. If you use powders they will form a mass, and you need to break the mass up by shaking it till redistributed, a few times each week.

Homemade extracts.

Take fine chopped dried fruit, herbs, or spice, and fill half full into a good size jar, or container. Fill the rest with cheap vodka, and lid up for at least a month. Make sure to shake it every once, and awhile. Filter with cheese cloth, and store in same jar. If you use powders they will form a mass, and you need to break the mass up by shaking it till redistributed, a few times each week.
If you have a distillation column you can distill the alcohol solution and collect the essential oils.

Homemade extracts.

I do that with several fruits, esp when I can't find the right extract of flavor of booze that I need for recipes. ( I bake a lot of cakes) My favorite is sour cherries and Everclear. Comes out every time.

Something my grandmas made, and what takes a bit of time, is what she called a fruit pot. Use seasonal fruit as they become available, grapes, apples, pears, plums, whatever comes first where you live, layer them in a stoneware pot, pour a good dark rum until completely covered. Repeat with other fruits as you harvest or purchase them. Keep it in a cool place. Wait, wait some more, wait another week to be sure, then enjoy. Makes for great adult desserts, like over ice cream or pudding, or use the fruit for baking or sauces and the liquor to add a little something in your coffee or tea.

Ribs today. 3-2-1 method.

A light brushing of Dijon+Worcestershire and covered with a good dry pork rub.

Smoked with apple at 180 degrees for 3 hours.

Removed and wrapped in foil after brushing with a mixture of brown sugar, honey and apple juice. Two hours at 225 degrees.

Removed from foil and swabbed with a Sweet & Heat BBQ sauce. Returned to smoker at 250 degrees for one hour to finish. (Probably should have gone to 275)
OK, here’s my rib recipe that doesn’t require smoking and is rediculously delicious.

Adobo style ribs.

Ingredients:

1 rack baby back ribs cut into individual ribs.

Sauce;
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup rice wine
1 Tbs fish sauce
3 tbs brown sugar
1/3 cup minced garlic (oh yes...you need this much garlic.)
4 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Garnish;
Green onion
Lime

Directions:
Preaheat oven to 350 F. On stove top brown ribs in batches in a little oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet till you have a nice sear. Drain grease from pot then cover ribs with sauce. Cover and braise in oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove from oven, remove lid and cook on stove top for 10 minutes on medium heat while constantly turning the ribs to give them a good glaze and to reduce the sauce. Plate the ribs.

Turn the heat on the skillet to low. Slice the green onions. Remove grease from reduced braising liquid and add juice of one lime and half the green onion and mix together to make serving sauce.

Plate by adding two ribs to a bed of rice and cover with a tbs of sauce (a little sauce goes a long ways) and garnish with green onion and wedges of lime to spritz on the ribs.

Ma Sarap.

Last edited:
OK, here’s my rib recipe that doesn’t require smoking and is rediculously delicious.

Adobo style ribs.

Ingredients:

Sauce;
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine
1 Tbs fish sauce
3 tbs brown sugar
4 bay leaves

Garnish;
Green onion
Lime

Directions:
Preaheat oven to 350 F. On stove top brown ribs in batches in a little oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet till you have a nice sear. Drain grease from pot then cover ribs with sauce. Cover and braise in oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove from oven, remove lid and cook on stove top for 10 minutes on medium heat while constantly turning the ribs to give them a good glaze and to reduce the sauce. Plate the ribs.

Turn the heat on the skillet to low. Slice the green onions. Remove grease from reduced braising liquid and add juice of one lime and half the green onion and mix together to make serving sauce.

Plate by adding two ribs to a bed of rice and cover with a tbs of sauce (a little sauce goes a long ways) and garnish with green onion.

Ma Sarap.
I should note that you eat this by flaking some of the meat and sauce onto some rice then scoop up the rice and eat it. You can eat it by gnawing on the rib and that’s pretty good too but it’s better with the rice. Like any good ribs it shouldn’t be pretty when you eat it.

Adobo style ribs.

Ingredients:

Sauce;
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine
1 Tbs fish sauce
3 tbs brown sugar
4 bay leaves

Garnish;
Green onion
Lime

Directions:

Plate by adding two ribs to a bed of rice and cover with a tbs of sauce (a little sauce goes a long ways) and garnish with green onion.

Ma Sarap.
Another note: This is even better with ox tails.

Homemade extracts.

Is that the same as an elixir?

Our neighbors were over the other day helping us size up a couple of trees that need to be removed. He has been living with prostate cancer for a couple of years; he takes a chaga elixir daily and that seems to be keeping his PSA numbers down (which means the cancer is in remission). I was pointing out a huge mass of chaga on one of the birch trees. They are going to come get it once the winds die down enough to be up on ladders. His daughter makes an elixir from it for him, but despite all the birch around here chaga is apparently hard to come by. It's a fungus specific to birch and has medicinal properties. It's been used in Europe and here by native people for thousands of years.

Back