Jade's Recipe Exchange.

OK, here’s my rib recipe that doesn’t require smoking and is rediculously delicious.

Adobo style ribs.

Ingredients:

1 rack baby back ribs cut into individual ribs.

Sauce;
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup rice wine
1 Tbs fish sauce
3 tbs brown sugar
1/3 cup minced garlic (oh yes...you need this much garlic.)
4 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Garnish;
Green onion
Lime

Directions:
Preaheat oven to 350 F. On stove top brown ribs in batches in a little oil in a Dutch oven or deep skillet till you have a nice sear. Drain grease from pot then cover ribs with sauce. Cover and braise in oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove from oven, remove lid and cook on stove top for 10 minutes on medium heat while constantly turning the ribs to give them a good glaze and to reduce the sauce. Plate the ribs.

Turn the heat on the skillet to low. Slice the green onions. Remove grease from reduced braising liquid and add juice of one lime and half the green onion and mix together to make serving sauce.

Plate by adding two ribs to a bed of rice and cover with a tbs of sauce (a little sauce goes a long ways) and garnish with green onion and wedges of lime to spritz on the ribs.

Ma Sarap.

Awesome, copied and saved. We don't use the smoker here in the winter for obvious reasons.... this is perfect for winter when you get to craving ribs. Thanks!

Awesome, copied and saved. We don't use the smoker here in the winter for obvious reasons.... this is perfect for winter when you get to craving ribs. Thanks!
Thank you. I’ve cooked this twice now for guests and they raved about them. Roast some vegetables in olive oil then add a dash of balsamic vinegar or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese makes a great side to balance the meal. Don’t forget to spritz the ribs with the lime to cut the richness. This pairs well with a semi-sweet red wine or a good lager.

Last edited:
Peanut Brittle

Butter a large cookie sheet

2c sugar
1c white Karo Syrup
1/2c water

Cook till it reaches 250 degrees

Add:
2c raw peanuts
1 heaping tablespoon butter

Cook till it browns 290 degrees

Add:
1tsp baking soda ( candy will expand, be very careful)

Mix well and pour onto your prepared baking sheet, spread evenly.

Let cool till set, then break into pieces.

Peanut Brittle

Butter a large cookie sheet

2c sugar
1c white Karo Syrup
1/2c water

Cook till it reaches 250 degrees

Add:
2c raw peanuts
1 heaping tablespoon butter

Cook till it browns 290 degrees

Add:
1tsp soda ( candy will expand, be very careful)

Mix well and pour onto your prepared baking sheet, spread evenly.

Let cool till set, then break into pieces.

Baking soda, soda?

Is that the same as an elixir?

Our neighbors were over the other day helping us size up a couple of trees that need to be removed. He has been living with prostate cancer for a couple of years; he takes a chaga elixir daily and that seems to be keeping his PSA numbers down (which means the cancer is in remission). I was pointing out a huge mass of chaga on one of the birch trees. They are going to come get it once the winds die down enough to be up on ladders. His daughter makes an elixir from it for him, but despite all the birch around here chaga is apparently hard to come by. It's a fungus specific to birch and has medicinal properties. It's been used in Europe and here by native people for thousands of years.

They are flavor extracts like you buy in the store. For medicinal extracts it's a similar process, but you don't have to soak as long, and you just add a little to water. I used to make my own cleavers extract, since it was cheaper than online.

Last edited:
The best blueberry scones.

2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping cup (190g) blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)1
coarse sugar for sprinkling on top before baking

Glaze

1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grate the frozen butter (I used a box grater; a food processor also works - here is the one I own and love). Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. To make the glaze, simply whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.

Oh man, those look amazing.

Have you ever made pelmeni?

I wish! Pelmeni is one of my favorites....Do you make them?
I buy pre-made, frozen pelmeni from a Russian deli.
My aunt and my cousin make pelmeni by hand -- it looks like a lot of work, and I am pretty lazy!

My cousin Olga taught me to make blini, and I like them with smoked salmon, dill, sour cream, and salmon roe or caviar. But as the video I found shows, they are incredibly versatile, and can be used for decadent desserts!

I wish! Pelmeni is one of my favorites....Do you make them?
I buy pre-made, frozen pelmeni from a Russian deli.
My aunt and my cousin make pelmeni by hand -- it looks like a lot of work, and I am pretty lazy!

My cousin Olga taught me to make blini, and I like them with smoked salmon, dill, sour cream, and salmon roe or caviar. But as the video I found shows, they are incredibly versatile, and can be used for decadent desserts!

I have only had them once. My best friend from school brought me a whole pan of them for my b-day one year. She's from Ukraine. OMG they are so good. She made them by hand too. Then she turned into a health nut and only serves salmon. lol

I have only had them once. My best friend from school brought me a whole pan of them for my b-day one year. She's from Ukraine. OMG they are so good. She made them by hand too. Then she turned into a health nut and only serves salmon. lol

The story I have been told is pelmeni were actually a Siberian food that came more widely to Russia. The fact that they are easily frozen, transportable, and can be preserved through the long Siberian winter made them ideal for trappers, hunters, and other native Siberian peoples.

Russian delis are hard to find outside of major cities, but you there is one in your area, I personally think the pre-made frozen pelmeni are very good too. You really can't go wrong with pelmeni, even the pre-made kind! I put sour cream, dill, and a dash of vinegar on mine....that is a very traditional Russian way of eating them.

The story I have been told is pelmeni were actually a Siberian food that came more widely to Russia. The fact that they are easily frozen, transportable, and can be preserved through the long Siberian winter made them ideal for trappers, hunters, and other native Siberian peoples.

Russian delis are hard to find outside of major cities, but you there is one in your area, I personally think the pre-made frozen pelmeni are very good too. You really can't go wrong with pelmeni, even the pre-made kind! I put sour cream, dill, and a dash of vinegar on mine....that is a very traditional Russian way of eating them.

I guess I did them wrong. When we lived in STL there was a global food market not too far away. I got the frozen pelmeni there. The writing on the package was in Russian so I was lost as to how to cook them. I put them in the oven and that was a big mistake. lol We're going back down to see the kids around Xmas, wanted to go by there and grab some stuff to take home that isn't available here. How do you cook the pelmeni?

German Ham Loaf
equal parts ground ham and ground pork
add:
onion
oatmeal or bread crumbs
a few eggs
mix and shape to a loaf in a covered pan
add stewed tomatoes and brown sugar to top
bake till pork temp done.

I guess I did them wrong. When we lived in STL there was a global food market not too far away. I got the frozen pelmeni there. The writing on the package was in Russian so I was lost as to how to cook them. I put them in the oven and that was a big mistake. lol We're going back down to see the kids around Xmas, wanted to go by there and grab some stuff to take home that isn't available here. How do you cook the pelmeni?

No, no baking.

They can be sautéed in a pan, or boiled, but I generally just boil them. And my cousin Olga usually boils them too, so I think that is a very standard way of doing it.

Very simple. Boil water, salted to taste if desired. Add a dash of oil or butter to the water. When boiling, add pelmini and let boil four to five mintues, occassionaly stirring. When the pelmeni float to the top of the water they are ready.

The best blueberry scones.

2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping cup (190g) blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)1
coarse sugar for sprinkling on top before baking

Glaze

1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grate the frozen butter (I used a box grater; a food processor also works - here is the one I own and love). Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. To make the glaze, simply whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.
Thanks, these sound delicious

German Ham Loaf
equal parts ground ham and ground pork
add:
onion
oatmeal or bread crumbs
a few eggs
mix and shape to a loaf in a covered pan
add stewed tomatoes and brown sugar to top
bake till pork temp done.
I live near an Amish village with an Amish restaurant, cheese and meat haus and a green market. I’ve had the ham loaf there and it is good eats.

Back