Jade's Recipe Exchange.

You can roast and smoke fish, veggies, chicken, the good stuff.

Oh lordy, yes! I buy whole chickens on sale. Husband doesn't care for regular baked chicken. So I'll put one in the smoker for an hour, then finish roasting it in the oven. I don't brine them ahead of time due to the sodium, but they still turn out juicy and a lot of good smoke flavor. Salmon is great smoked then finished in the oven as well. Oh, and chicken wings!

After the meat is removed, I toss the chicken bones and skin and fat into a large stock pot, fill with water, toss in a few tired veggies, and simmer it for several hours. Decant the broth into quart canning jars and freeze. Makes a lovely smoky chicken broth that's awesome in clam chowder, for cooking noodles and potatoes, or anything else where a flavored broth would be good. The bones go outside to the Raven Station for our winged friends.

The Traegers are pricy.... but worth it?

Here’s a trick I learned about cold weather smoking. If your smoker can’t keep a targeted temperature then smoke your meat for two to four hours and then pop it in your oven on a roasting rack at the desired temp till done. The meat will have more than enough smoke flavor and a perfect bark.

Works good! We just don't have a place to put it when the snow is deep. I could use it in the garage but YouKnowWho would complain because his car would smell like BBQ. lol

Hey Jade, do you think your method of making extracts would work with fresh rosemary?

I buy garlic olive oil from the spice shop in town. Wish I knew how to make my own. It's pretty expensive.

Smoked whitefish is popular here. Have not tried to do that yet. Any tips or tricks?

It is all about the brine and forming the pellicle. Always brine your fish for at least 8 hours (preferably 24 or longer), after the brine it is important to let them air dry for a least a couple of hours (that forms the pellicle), then start at really low temp ( 100 Deg F) and increase very slowly (the goal is around 160 Deg F) . 8-12 hours or so. You cannot go wrong.

Oh lordy, yes! I buy whole chickens on sale. Husband doesn't care for regular baked chicken. So I'll put one in the smoker for an hour, then finish roasting it in the oven. I don't brine them ahead of time due to the sodium, but they still turn out juicy and a lot of good smoke flavor. Salmon is great smoked then finished in the oven as well. Oh, and chicken wings!

After the meat is removed, I toss the chicken bones and skin and fat into a large stock pot, fill with water, toss in a few tired veggies, and simmer it for several hours. Decant the broth into quart canning jars and freeze. Makes a lovely smoky chicken broth that's awesome in clam chowder, for cooking noodles and potatoes, or anything else where a flavored broth would be good. The bones go outside to the Raven Station for our winged friends.

The Traegers are pricy.... but worth it?
It was hubby’s 70th birthday gift so we splurged, found a deal on QVC! I do beer can chicken, it’s so moist!

It is all about the brine and forming the pellicle. Always brine your fish for at least 8 hours (preferably 24 or longer), after the brine it is important to let them air dry for a least a couple of hours (that forms the pellicle), then start at really low temp ( 100 Deg F) and increase very slowly (the goal is around 160 Deg F) . 8-12 hours or so. You cannot go wrong.

Thanks. We're going to have to get a decent smoker, I see. I'll save this in the recipes folder.

Thanks! I bet it would be crazy good doing halibut this way! Or even salmon

Smoked whitefish is popular here. Have not tried to do that yet. Any tips or tricks?
Yea smoking fish is easy. First mix a salt rub of about two parts kosher salt, one part sugar and some thyme. Rub liberally over fish. Wrap fish with Saran Wrap and place on cookie sheet. Place another cookie sheet on top and put a brick on top of that. Place in fridge 12-24 hours.

Then thoroughly wash salt off fish, dry excess water off with paper towels and let air dry on a cookie sheet till a peculum (thin membrane) has formed on the fish surface. Toss in smoker for one to two hours until fish is cooked and flakey. Take out of smoker and let cool.

Here’s a simple pasta recipe I make with smoke salmon. Add about a tbs of olive oil, minced garlic and 4 oz smoked salmon. Sauté till garlic is fragrant and salmon heated through. Add 8 oz half/half, 1cup frozen peas, 1/2 cup Parm and simmer till sauce reaches desired consistency then taste and season wit S&P and a pinch of nutmeg. Cook 12 oz linguine and toss in sauce. Place in serving bowl and garnish with parsley and more Parmesan.

Last edited:
Back