Jesus angry?

Jarod

Contributor
I know a bit about the bible, but not as much as many of you.

Are there any examples, other than his rage at the money changers in the Temple, of Jesus being angry, upset, or judgmental?

What about otherwise?
Yes. In many cases. But he's not judgmental in the Liberal sense of the word, where finger pointers constantly give themselves a pass for their bad behavior, and still cry about injustices. His judgment is truly just.

Yes. In many cases. But he's not judgmental in the Liberal sense of the word, where finger pointers constantly give themselves a pass for their bad behavior, and still cry about injustices. His judgment is truly just.

Can you share with me an example?

Matthew 23, Addressing the Pharisees...

Matthew 23

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel! ... Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.

Mark 3, Again addressing the Pharisees..

Mark 3

Again he entered the synagogue, and a man was there who had a withered hand. And they watched him, to see whether he would heal him on the sabbath, so that they might accuse him. And he said to the man who had the withered hand, "Come here." And he said to them, "Is it lawful on the sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?" But they were silent. And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He stretched it out, and his hand was restored. The Pharisees went out, and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him.

Again in Mark chapter 3 he rebuked Peter...

Mark 3

...he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. And he said this plainly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him. But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter, and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men." And he called to him the multitude with his disciples, and said to them, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.

In Mark 11, he got mad at a fig tree (before overturning the tables at the temple) and cursed it, it withered and died.

Mark 11

On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. And he said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it. And they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons; and he would not allow any one to carry anything through the temple. And he taught, and said to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers." And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and sought a way to destroy him; for they feared him, because all the multitude was astonished at his teaching. And when evening came they went out of the city. As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. And Peter remembered and said to him, "Master, look! The fig tree which you cursed has withered."

Matthew 23, Addressing the Pharisees...

Mark 3, Again addressing the Pharisees..

Again in Mark chapter 3 he rebuked Peter...

In Mark 11, he got mad at a fig tree (before overturning the tables at the temple) and cursed it, it withered and died.

Thank you... this is helpful

Oh brother. You can't let up the BS for a single second, can you.

My favorite is when he got mad at the tree... It wasn't the tree's fault, it wasn't the season for figs.

I know a bit about the bible, but not as much as many of you.

Are there any examples, other than his rage at the money changers in the Temple, of Jesus being angry, upset, or judgmental?

He's very upset about contemporary liberalism.

My favorite is when he got mad at the tree... It wasn't the tree's fault, it wasn't the season for figs.

Ahh, He wasn't necessarily looking for figs. During the time of the Passover, while the tree wouldn't be expected to have figs, it would have had edible buds. The tree didn't, indicating that it would not have fruit later on. Also, this was most likely an object lesson comparing the tree not bearing fruit with a fruitless Jerusalem, who had all the spiritual advantages, whose judgment was coming in just under 40 years. Incidentally, this was the only miracle of Jesus involving judgment.

The key passage about capitalist thieves is the forcible cleansing of the Temple.

The Temple rage was not just the capitalism that had corrupted the "Church", but the fruitlessness of organized religion. In my opinion. Jesus was declaring and end to it, and for many years it was ended, until The Church (Catholic) gained a certain amount of power ended up corrupting and rewriting Christianity.

Back