Joan of Arc and Nine Other "Queer" Saints

poet

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...er-queer-saints_n_1129804.html?ref=gay-voices

Church officials and followers from many different demoninations have long used the Bible to argue that homosexuality and transgender identities are abominations in the eyes of God.

A few passages, especially two in the book of Leviticus, which many claim have been taken out of context or misinterpreted, have contributed to discrimination against LGBT people in a variety of ways, including the blocking of legal same-sex marriage in the United States and proposing criminal punishment (or even death) in other countries around the world.

Still, many, not just religious LGBT people, refuse to read the Bible this way. What's more, some have even gone so far as to look for examples of LGBT people within the Bible or Christian history.

While many would freely admit that most of the men and woman of yore were not gay or transgender as defined by our modern standards, they would assert that these people were involved in non-heteronormative relationships, presented non-traditional gender identities, or understood, approached, and complicated aspects of faith with relation to sexuality and/or gender identity.

Performing a "queering" (or re-appropriating/re-imagining/claiming based on available evidence) of religious texts and lives is one tactic LGBT people have widely used throughout history to see or find themselves and each other in a world where they have been forced to remain hidden. It is a way to celebrate and honor those who did not live "straight" lives and to discover role models and trail blazers who may have been obscured, forgotten, or stripped of their queerness.

In honor of St. Nick's Day, we're taking a look at 10 "queer" saints (who can be found in the slideshow below along with their saint days and the calendars on which the dates can be found):

Joan of Arc May 30

St. Uncumber (AKA Wilgefortis), July 20

Saint Sergius And Saint Bacchus, October 7

St. Apollinaria/Dorotheos Of Egypt, January 5

Alcuin Of Tours (Or York), May 20

Cardinal Newman, August 11

Saint Julian Of Norwich, April 22

St. Paulinus Of Nola, June 22

Saints Symeon of Emesa and John, July 21

Imagine that! "Gay" and "saints".

While many would freely admit that most of the men and woman of yore were not gay or transgender as defined by our modern standards, they would assert that these people were involved in non-heteronormative relationships, presented non-traditional gender identities, or understood, approached, and complicated aspects of faith with relation to sexuality and/or gender identity.

Performing a "queering" (or re-appropriating/re-imagining/claiming based on available evidence) of religious texts and lives is one tactic LGBT people have widely used throughout history to see or find themselves and each other in a world where they have been forced to remain hidden....

1. Basically, making an assertion based on spin, imagination, or selective evidence.
2. Oh look, queer is "non-heteronormative". Doesn't that mean "not normal"?

What exactly makes the likes of Cardinal Newman gay?

Not yet a saint -- he was beatified in 2010 but requires the proof of one more miracle before he can be canonized -- Cardinal Newman, or John Henry Newman, lived during the 19th century.

He helped found the Catholic University of Ireland and wrote many books and popular hymns.

He doesn't have a feast day yet, but his "die natalis," or the anniversary of his death (the term means "day of birth" but refers to the day the person was "born into heaven"), is celebrated on August 11.

Though he was celibate, many consider him to have lived a gay life. He had several passionate friendships with male friends including Ambrose St John, with whom he insisted on being buried.

According to NihilObstat.info:

"It was Cardinal Newman's dying wish that he be buried with his closest friend in the grounds of the house they shared as priests. The cardinal repeated on three occasions his desire to be buried with his friend, including shortly before his death in 1890.
'I wish,with all my heart, to be buried in Fr Ambrose St John's grave -- and I give this as my last, my imperative will,' he wrote, later adding: 'This I confirm and insist on.'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...er-queer-saints_n_1129804.html?ref=gay-voices

Church officials and followers from many different demoninations have long used the Bible to argue that homosexuality and transgender identities are abominations in the eyes of God.

A few passages, especially two in the book of Leviticus, which many claim have been taken out of context or misinterpreted, have contributed to discrimination against LGBT people in a variety of ways, including the blocking of legal same-sex marriage in the United States and proposing criminal punishment (or even death) in other countries around the world.

Still, many, not just religious LGBT people, refuse to read the Bible this way. What's more, some have even gone so far as to look for examples of LGBT people within the Bible or Christian history.

Performing a "queering" (or re-appropriating/re-imagining/claiming based on available evidence) of religious texts and lives is one tactic LGBT people have widely used throughout history to see or find themselves and each other in a world where they have been forced to remain hidden. It is a way to celebrate and honor those who did not live "straight" lives and to discover role models and trail blazers who may have been obscured, forgotten, or stripped of their queerness.

In honor of St. Nick's Day, we're taking a look at 10 "queer" saints (who can be found in the slideshow below along with their saint days and the calendars on which the dates can be found):

Joan of Arc May 30

St. Uncumber (AKA Wilgefortis), July 20

Saint Sergius And Saint Bacchus, October 7

St. Apollinaria/Dorotheos Of Egypt, January 5

Alcuin Of Tours (Or York), May 20

Cardinal Newman, August 11

Saint Julian Of Norwich, April 22

St. Paulinus Of Nola, June 22

Saints Symeon of Emesa and John, July 21

Imagine that! "Gay" and "saints".

Let's start at the top, shall we!!

Please, oh please; provide the "information" you have, that shows Joan of Arc was a homosexual.

This should be highly entertaining.

:thisisgettinggood:

Not yet a saint -- he was beatified in 2010 but requires the proof of one more miracle before he can be canonized -- Cardinal Newman, or John Henry Newman, lived during the 19th century.

He helped found the Catholic University of Ireland and wrote many books and popular hymns.

He doesn't have a feast day yet, but his "die natalis," or the anniversary of his death (the term means "day of birth" but refers to the day the person was "born into heaven"), is celebrated on August 11.

Though he was celibate, many consider him to have lived a gay life. He had several passionate friendships with male friends including Ambrose St John, with whom he insisted on being buried.

According to NihilObstat.info:

"It was Cardinal Newman's dying wish that he be buried with his closest friend in the grounds of the house they shared as priests. The cardinal repeated on three occasions his desire to be buried with his friend, including shortly before his death in 1890.
'I wish,with all my heart, to be buried in Fr Ambrose St John's grave -- and I give this as my last, my imperative will,' he wrote, later adding: 'This I confirm and insist on.'"

So, are we now to label every single man (Lincoln, Newman, etc.) who ever lived during the 19th Century as gay, because they behaved differently than us? Particularly in this 21st Century America, where men now scrutinize every single male action as either being gay or straight. I guess we should just start referring to the 19th as the Gay Century, already...

So, are we now to label every single man (Lincoln, Newman, etc.) who ever lived during the 19th Century as gay, because they behaved differently than us? Particularly in this 21st Century America, where men now scrutinize every single male action as either being gay or straight. I guess we should just start referring to the 19th as the Gay Century, already...

Why are you bothered by the notion, that then, as now, people lead "secret lives"....unless you're feeling that "being gay", lessens an individual or makes them unworthy or unsaintly. There was testimony to the likelihood of Newman being gay. And given the duplicitous stance of the Roman Catholic church on everything from celibacy to homosexual priests, is it so difficult to fathom?

Its fallacious to take a general idea or possibility and apply it to one individual as a fact.

Not when there is circumstantial evidence backing up the claim. Did you take the time to view the background of each saint listed at the link site?

Which means the system sometimes sucks, not that the evidence is strong.

Systems, have an inherent tendency to "suck". That, by no means, should dissuade one from acknowledging and assuming the obvious, and, sometimes, the not so obvious.

I don't even see how a "they do it too" argument has any meaning, even symbolic, in this context. These were real people with real lifestyles and cultures, and not some random trial court in county x.

Back