Killing deer w an AR!

I knew it was time for me to quit after I followed an elk 15 miles into the Black Hills. I thought I was going to die bringing it out. It's a younger man's adventure but they still come to me for help.
:shock:15 MILES?! I'm huffin' and puffin' at 15 YARDS!

I doubt there is much subsistence hunting anymore. But most hunters I know eat their kill, unless it is really old or looks unhealthy.

Yes, hunters can afford to buy their food.

Can we afford to have hunters stop hunting? How will you control the deer populations? How will you pay for it (since hunting pays for many state conservation programs)?
Your last 3 sentences make sense. I remember seeing news reports over the years as to how many states have official hunting times in order to curtail the deer population. Necessary, unfortunately. A by-product of man's expansion, urbanization and deforestation.

You're missing the bigger problem of states that allow dogs to hunt deer. The average hunter keeps 4 dogs in a cage year-round and only brings them out so he can drop off his kills at a business to have them processed. There's no connection to nature.
Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day!

Back