liberals read more books

I mostly read Science Fiction right now. I am studying up on style and prose, preparing to write a submission, first three chapters and outline, for publishing soon.

However, I like 'alternate history' novels, and they aren't very cool if you don't know the original history and where they are different. Well, they can still be good, but you miss a lot if you don't understand the differences in the 'timelines'.

Oh, that's very cool. I hope you get it published.

I mostly read Science Fiction right now. I am studying up on style and prose, preparing to write a submission, first three chapters and outline, for publishing soon.

However, I like 'alternate history' novels, and they aren't very cool if you don't know the original history and where they are different. Well, they can still be good, but you miss a lot if you don't understand the differences in the 'timelines'.
Scifi rules!

I've met enough of them on message boards, and they have been borderline retarded historically.

But I did say, that I had not met "so many". I have met right wingers who had some decent knowledge of history certainly. I just have not noticed it any remarkable measure. Nothing that would lead me to believe right wingers "mostly read historical" books.

I think Socr was over-simplifying it, just as the poll did. To say liberals read more or less is idiotic.

I don't think it's idiotic to say that liberals read more.

:pke:

It is a great over-simplification. Liberal or Conservative, left or right, Rep or Dumbass... doesn't really matter... there will be those in any group that read a lot and those that read very little (if any).

You can say its idiotic.

A credible scientific poll, conducted by AP-Ipsos, says otherwise. Cons read less.

:cof1:

Yeah, that's true. It's not someone just saying so, it's what people themselves indicated in a poll. It's not proof...but it's a piece of evidence.

Yeah, that's true. It's not someone just saying so, it's what people themselves indicated in a poll. It's not proof...but it's a piece of evidence.

Actually, it is a liberals interpretation of a poll... not the poll itself. Note she did not link the actual poll data? Note also that it appears the poll broke down liberal, moderate and conservative, yet she lumps the moderates with the liberals and compares the numbers to conservatives.

Note also that the actual poll title is....

AP/Ipsos Poll: One In Four Adults Read No Books Last Year; Biggest Readers Were Women, Older People

So... lets actually see the poll results rather than simply taking a liberals OPINION on the poll.

Actually, it is a liberals interpretation of a poll... not the poll itself. Note she did not link the actual poll data? Note also that it appears the poll broke down liberal, moderate and conservative, yet she lumps the moderates with the liberals and compares the numbers to conservatives.

AP/Ipsos Poll: One In Four Adults Read No Books Last Year; Biggest Readers Were Women, Older People

So... lets actually see the poll results rather than simply taking a liberals OPINION on the poll.

Oh alright Mr. Anal, I didn't read the poll. It's not that interesting, but if you are going to be so uptight about it...I'm still not going to read the poll.

"Actually, it is a liberals interpretation of a poll... not the poll itself."

Its the exact same numbers Associated Press is reporting. AP is the owner of the poll:

WASHINGTON (AP) The AP-Ipsos poll found 22 percent of liberals and moderates said they had not read a book within the past year, compared with 34 percent of conservatives.

Among those who had read at least one book, liberals typically read nine books in the year, with half reading more than that and half less. Conservatives typically read eight, moderates five.

By slightly wider margins, Democrats tended to read more books than Republicans and independents. There were no differences by political party in the percentage of those who said they had not read at least one book.

The poll involved telephone interviews with 1,003 adults and was conducted August 6 to 8. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/pressrelease.cfm?id=3613

Oh alright Mr. Anal, I didn't read the poll. It's not that interesting, but if you are going to be so uptight about it...I'm still not going to read the poll.

That is Mr. Anal Retentive to you....

Please show me the courtesy of using my full name.

:rolleyes:

Impressive! Good luck...

Back