Libya Counts on Tourism to Help Rebuild

Anthony Bourdain did a thing on Tangiers, also. That place looked amazing.

I'm not a very adventurous traveler, though. I'll go to westernized/European countries, but I don't really push it beyond that.

Anthony Bourdain did a thing on Tangiers, also. That place looked amazing.

I'm not a very adventurous traveler, though. I'll go to westernized/European countries, but I don't really push it beyond that.

Tangiers is a great place, it's only a short ferry ride from Tarifa across the Straits of Gibraltar. I might also point out that many Brits go to Dubai for their holidays these days. I can't say that I see the attraction myself I only ever go there to change planes on Emirate Airlines.

Last edited:
Like so many on the cynical left, you practically go orgasmic at any bad news. The falling of the Iron Curtain must have been a real day of sorrow for you.

who couldn't want what the people themselves wanted ? To be free of tyranny. (eastern Europe)

What's with 'the left"? (curious) - do we want Libya to be a failed/fractured state?

I got no investment in Gaddafi - he was a terrorist enabler before he got bombed by Reagan .
He decided that wasn't paying off and mended his ways

All that is needed here is some honesty that he was much better for Libya as a whole then this mess..

No pleasure in saying that -just an observation.

who couldn't want what the people themselves wanted ? To be free of tyranny. (eastern Europe)

What's with 'the left"? (curious) - do we want Libya to be a failed/fractured state?

I got no investment in Gaddafi - he was a terrorist enabler before he got bombed by Reagan .
He decided that wasn't paying off and mended his ways

All that is needed here is some honesty that he was much better for Libya as a whole then this mess..

No pleasure in saying that -just an observation.

Anybody that says Ghaddafi was better for Libya is either a fool or ill informed, possibly both. Libya is getting its shit together, 2000 personnel in the newly formed National Army are getting their training in England. Ghaddafi deliberately kept the National Army weak so that a coup d'etat was less likely to occur.

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/25626.aspx

Anybody that says Ghaddafi was better for Libya is either a fool or ill informed, possibly both. Libya is getting its shit together, 2000 personnel in the newly formed National Army are getting their training in England. Ghaddafi deliberately kept the National Army weak so that a coup d'etat was less likely to occur.

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/25626.aspx

how much of an army was needed? enough to turn back the periodic Beasts from the East, which he did do, until our "humanitarian War" undid it.

I leave you to you own musings, we have a complete disagreement, as to Gaddafi's rule, and this post gaddafi mess.

to the link:

Foreign Secretary William Hague said: “The Government firmly believes that a stable, open and democratic Libya contributing to wider regional stability and security is in the UK’s interest.

"That is why we are working closely with the US and other European countries, to lead the broader international effort, coordinated by the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), to support Libya’s democratic transition and the Libyan authorities’ efforts to make visible improvements in public security in Libya
good luck with that -sincerely - not for the UK's interest, for the Libyan peoples.

kind of reminds me of the Afgan National Army transition though. Whistling thru the graveyard, hoping it will be so.
Hoping the place won't stay fractured.

how much of an army was needed? enough to turn back the periodic Beasts from the East, which he did do, until our "humanitarian War" undid it.

I leave you to you own musings, we have a complete disagreement, as to Gaddafi's rule, and this post gaddafi mess.

to the link:

good luck with that -sincerely - not for the UK's interest, for the Libyan peoples.

kind of reminds me of the Afgan National Army transition though. Whistling thru the graveyard, hoping it will be so.
Hoping the place won't stay fractured.

That wasn't the Libyan army, it was his Revolutionary Guard.

That wasn't the Libyan army, it was his Revolutionary Guard.
not all that familiar with the differences.

Had to google -found this:
In February 2011, the Libyan civil war broke out and several units of the army mutinied and defected to the opposition, with battles taking place across much of the country.

In September 2011, the pre-civil war Libyan army had been effectively destroyed by a combination of NATO air strikes and combat with rebel forces, with the Libyan army forces still loyal to Gaddafi abandoning their posts in Tripoli as the rebels took the city, and the remnants of Gaddafi's loyalist army holed up in Sirte, Sabha and Bani Walid.[3]

Gaddafi's army was defeated in their last major stronghold of Sirte. Muammar Gaddafi, along with his son Mutassim and former defense minister Abu-Bakr Yunis Jabr were killed and the remnants of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Army_(1951–2011)
so it looks like ( and I could be wrong) that the incursions into Chad were repulsed,
by lack of a decent army.

Not a bad thing though.

Then it says the Libyan Army was destroyed in combat (largely due to NATO - without which the NTC would never had their offensive past the "pick up truck guys")

So I am missing the finer points, except the fact that whatever it was called, NATO decided Libya fate.

As said, good luck with the training, and the Libya resurrection from a fractured state

not all that familiar with the differences.

Had to google -found this:
so it looks like ( and I could be wrong) that the incursions into Chad were repulsed,
by lack of a decent army.

Not a bad thing though.

Then it says the Libyan Army was destroyed in combat (largely due to NATO - without which the NTC would never had their offensive past the "pick up truck guys")

So I am missing the finer points, except the fact that whatever it was called, NATO decided Libya fate.

As said, good luck with the training, and the Libya resurrection from a fractured state

Just like Saddam, Ghaddafi had a coterie of elite soldiers who were recruited for their ultra loyalty as well as any other attributes.

Dave Hartwell, a Middle East and North Africa analyst for IHS Jane's, the London-based defense information group, said Gaddafi 's paramilitary unit, the Revolutionary Guard Corps, was seen as his most loyal forces.

"The revolutionary guard is about 3,000 strong, and we are confident that they are fighting at the moment," Hartwell told AFP. "They have access to a variety of weapons, inhttp://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/03/14/141550.htmlcluding battle tanks, armored personnel carriers and helicopters." Known as Liwa Haris al-Jamahiriya, the guard is hand-picked from Gaddafi 's tribal region around the port town of Sirte, "and their main duty is to protect Gaddafi and his family," Hartwell said. "They are pretty well knitted into the fabric of the regime."

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/03/14/141550.html

Back