Lobbyist Know No Bounds: Even Infants are Fair Game

I oppose the ads too, government should not be advertising one way or the other. Those companies tax dollars should not go to funding government advertising campaigns and they do have a right to lobby against it.

Just as I would oppose the opposite if say infant formula companies wanted government to fund ads that encourage no breastfeeding.

Government shouldn't be promoting either side, let people make their own decisions with doctors, magazines and plenty other resources.

What a shocker. You oppose ads that would ultimately serve to educate and promote a healthy style of living amongst the masses.

The fact is that the HHS have found health links relating to the decline in breast feeding. This trend should be counter acted if we want to have a nation of healthier kids. How else do you suppose they get the word out? Or should we just not be informed of this?

I oppose the ads too, government should not be advertising one way or the other. Those companies tax dollars should not go to funding government advertising campaigns and they do have a right to lobby against it.

Just as I would oppose the opposite if say infant formula companies wanted government to fund ads that encourage no breastfeeding.

Government shouldn't be promoting either side, let people make their own decisions with doctors, magazines and plenty other resources.

Good ol' "pennywise, pound foolish" speaks again.

Promoting good health is something the gov't is involved in, because there are significant returns on avoiding things like ear and gastrointestinal infections, diabetes, leukemia, obesity, asthma and sudden infant death syndrome, all of which breastfeeding can help alleviate or avoid altogether.

Beyond that, for this particular campaign, the nonprofit Ad Council donated $30 million of media time.

What a shocker. You oppose ads that would ultimately serve to educate and promote a healthy style of living amongst the masses.

The fact is that the HHS have found health links relating to the decline in breast feeding. This trend should be counter acted if we want to have a nation of healthier kids. How else do you suppose they get the word out? Or should we just not be informed of this?

Lets just forget the innoculations for children too. the parents can get them if they want them. polio, TB, etc just a personal responsibility thin, why should the gummit be involved.

Dont spend my tax money keeping little children from dying or being crippled, etc.
And let their parents pay to educate them.

LadyT this will be a big boost in the WOC.

Lets just forget the innoculations for children too. the parents can get them if they want them. polio, TB, etc just a personal responsibility thin, why should the gummit be involved.

Dont spend my tax money keeping little children from dying or being crippled, etc.

And let their parents pay to educate them.

LadyT this will be a big boost in the WOC.

You've been promoted. What's the highest rank in the Military?

and maggots too.

but I think bloodletting is out of fashion. Excorsim is still a tad in fashion, but at a much lower level.

I want to have healthier kids and my wife breastfed all of them. That being said I know women who didn't, even though they were aware of the health benefits.
Not everyone lives their life by safety/health being their priority.
As an example, you are a career woman and you'll probably have kids. Once born, how long will you stay with them at home? There is no question at all that they are safest with you there at home both healthwise and security wise (I've seen daycares). So will you choose to do that? You may wish to return to work sooner than you think and you would do so weighing the benefits to you versus your child.
Breastfeeding certainly does have some health benefits, but it also brings fatigue and it of course interferes with your personal freedom and career.

Let's not forget that some governments often promoted bottle feeding in the 60's and other decades. Would you have listened to them then? I prefer a society where people think for themselves and don't have authority dictating the "better" way to live.

I respect your PERSONAL decision (which is the same as mine), but you should respect others too and not have government promote either method.
There are a huge whopping load of women's magazines because most women do read this stuff, sure you may not know everything but you'll find out a lot more once you became pregnant I would imagine.

I want to have healthier kids and my wife breastfed all of them. That being said I know women who didn't, even though they were aware of the health benefits.
Not everyone lives their life by safety/health being their priority.
As an example, you are a career woman and you'll probably have kids. Once born, how long will you stay with them at home? There is no question at all that they are safest with you there at home both healthwise and security wise (I've seen daycares). So will you choose to do that? You may wish to return to work sooner than you think and you would do so weighing the benefits to you versus your child.
Breastfeeding certainly does have some health benefits, but it also brings fatigue and it of course interferes with your personal freedom and career.

Let's not forget that some governments often promoted bottle feeding in the 60's and other decades. Would you have listened to them then? I prefer a society where people think for themselves and don't have authority dictating the "better" way to live.

I respect your PERSONAL decision (which is the same as mine), but you should respect others too and not have government promote either method.
There are a huge whopping load of women's magazines because most women do read this stuff, sure you may not know everything but you'll find out a lot more once you became pregnant I would imagine.

Not everyone is aware of the various risks associated with foregoing breastfeeding. If we have a trend of women opting out when they could just as well do it, we should inform them of the dangers. You argument is your typical non-sequitor. With your regard to the misapprehension of the argument at hand ....respecting someone's personal decision is NOT the issue. The issue revolves around informing the public of the advantage to breast feedind. Not whether or not you respect someone's decision to do so.

I'm wondering if it causes the increase in ADD and Autism.

I think that with both those it's largely a matter of more accurate diagnoses. You still hear some people refusing to acknowledge that ADD even exists as a real disorder; "...we got spanked and we smartened up", etc., etc. With autism I think there was a confusion of diagnosis, it really wasn't too well characterized at all, and there are degrees of autism. Some people (Asperger's Syndrome, for instance) not only function extremely well but they also seem to have much higher levels of intelligence, on average.

Last edited:
Not everyone is aware of the various risks associated with foregoing breastfeeding. If we have a trend of women opting out when they could just as well do it, we should inform them of the dangers. Your argument is your typical non-sequitur. With your regard to the misapprehension of the argument at hand ....respecting someone's personal decision is NOT the issue. The issue revolves around informing the public of the advantage to breast feed. Not whether or not you respect someone's decision to do so.

Well said. I agree completely.

I think that with both those it's largely a matter of more accurate diagnoses. You still hear some people saying that there's no such thing as ADD; "...we got spanked and we smartened up", etc., etc. With autism I think there was a confusion of diagnosis, it really wasn't too well characterized at all, and there are degrees of autism. Some people (Asperger's Syndrome, for instance) not only function extremely well but they also seem to have much higher levels of intelligence, on average.
Better focus. Aperger's can be beneficial, but it makes them difficult in relationships.

I'm wondering if it causes the increase in ADD and Autism.

Vaccinations.. read up on it. The trend line of autism and increase of vaccinations are in unison.

IN terms of Breast feeding.. my wifes a labor and delivery nurse but also does mother and baby sometimes and they try to at least get the moms to do first few days for the antibodies. After that it doesn’t matter much for nutrition but does help with post partim depression due to slower mother baby bond times.

Back