Maple Bats

Timshel

David Price had a minor injury today when the barrel of a broken maple bat knocked him to the ground. The league really needs to take action. Bats were exploding at a ridiculous rate last year and eventually a player or fan is going to get seriously hurt.

Last edited:
Why not end the controversy in one fell swoop? Either permit aluminum bats, which would make the game more exciting offensively or go even more retro and require Hikory bats be used. Hikory is harder then either Maple or Ash and is plentifully available. It's also harder to tamper with a Hikory bat then an Ash bat.

That's because they haven't added those cool exploding clubs.
Did I ever tell you my idea for living up a golf match? Play 9 holes in a mine field! Couldn't you see it?

Announcer (in hushed voice);

"As Tiger is approaching the trap near the dog leg on hole #5, a par 4. He's going for his wedge for a chip shot to the green. Holy cow folks, Tigers just stepped on a bouncing betty....well I guess Mrs. Woods won't have to worry about him straying afield anymore."

I know the purist hate the idea but the game would be a lot more exciting if they played with carbon fiber bats. If the batters get to much of an advantage raise the pitching mound up 6".

Last edited:
I know the purist hate the idea but the game would be a lot more exciting if they played with carbon fiber bats. If the batters get to much of an advantage raise the pitching mound up 6".

No! Start a pro softball league if you want more home runs. Baseball is about much more.

Beefy, you're a damn communist. :)

I can understand why some don't like it, but baseball is a great game. One of the great pluses to me is no time limit. You can't run out the clock and secure a win by avoiding play. You have to earn the final out.

No! Start a pro softball league if you want more home runs. Baseball is about much more.

Beefy, you're a damn communist. :)

I can understand why some don't like it, but baseball is a great game. One of the great pluses to me is no time limit. You can't run out the clock and secure a win by avoiding play. You have to earn the final out.

I agree. Baseball is elegant when correctly played. If people wanted to reduce it to home runs the game would be destroyed. Brilliant defensive plays and pitching strategy, and the ability to execute the pitching well, are the core of the game.

Back