Maple Bats

I agree. Baseball is elegant when correctly played. If people wanted to reduce it to home runs the game would be destroyed. Brilliant defensive plays and pitching strategy, and the ability to execute the pitching well, are the core of the game.
I've posted this before but it is such a classic and it's the truth!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I"]YouTube- George Carlin Baseball vs Football[/ame]

No! Start a pro softball league if you want more home runs. Baseball is about much more.

Beefy, you're a damn communist. :)

I can understand why some don't like it, but baseball is a great game. One of the great pluses to me is no time limit. You can't run out the clock and secure a win by avoiding play. You have to earn the final out.
Naaa it won't create a home run derby but it would put more balls into play and that's exciting. If they start hitting to many home runs all they need to do is raise the pitchers mound up. Problem solved. You still get more balls into play, more singles and doubles and more men on base. That's fun. I don't think composite and aluminum bats would hurt the game I think they would make it better. Just like it did with Tennis. I heard similiar arguments about tennis when the adopted larger, light weight rackets.

Not at all. It just needs more scoring to appeal to Americans. Make the damn goal huge and that would happen. And maybe make the field smaller to speed things up.

As I described about baseball, I am not impressed by scoring. There's very little about soccer that demands a high degree of excellence or skill, other than the physical endurance to run around a field. Sorry, no sale.

Naaa it won't create a home run derby but it would put more balls into play and that's exciting. If they start hitting to many home runs all they need to do is raise the pitchers mound up. Problem solved. You still get more balls into play, more singles and doubles and more men on base. That's fun. I don't think composite and aluminum bats would hurt the game I think they would make it better. Just like it did with Tennis. I heard similiar arguments about tennis when the adopted larger, light weight rackets.

I disagree. Those bats have a lot more pop than wood. I'd be afraid for the pitchers too.

As I described about baseball, I am not impressed by scoring. There's very little about soccer that demands a high degree of excellence or skill, other than the physical endurance to run around a field. Sorry, no sale.
If that were true, then there would be no difference in the salaries that they pay the top players v the less talented. You fail.

If that were true, then there would be no difference in the salaries that they pay the top players v the less talented. You fail.

There is no reasonable rationale for the salaries. It's a popularity contest, and doesn't make soccer any more interesting than it is. It's a stupid, mindless event and I have zero interest in watching or supporting it. That is all.

There is no reasonable rationale for the salaries. It's a popularity contest, and doesn't make soccer any more interesting than it is. It's a stupid, mindless event and I have zero interest in watching or supporting it. That is all.
Look I don't like soccer either but I did play in high school and there is a huge range of talent, as well as strategy and plays. Don't pretend otherwise.

I think baseball is a great sport but sorry Thorn having seen Pele and Maradona play, you couldn't be more wrong. Look at this play and watch Maradona thread the needle, while dribbling the ball with his foot while running at a blazing fast flat out sprint. This is one of the most incredible displays of athletic skill I've ever seen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE&feature=related"]YouTube- Diego Maradona's Goal of the Century.[/ame]

Sorry Thorn but having seen Pele and Maradona play, you couldn't be more wrong. Look at this play and watch Maradona thread the needle, while dribbling the ball with his foot while running at a blazing fast flat out sprint. This is one of the most incredible displays of athletic skill I've ever seen.

YouTube- Diego Maradona's Goal of the Century.

How come you didnt show the obligatory post game riot and mayhem??

I disagree. Those bats have a lot more pop than wood. I'd be afraid for the pitchers too.
Again, raise the mound and give the advantage to the pitcher. I think the argument against using modern material technology for bats just doesn't hold water. It would also kill the designated hitter and require athletes with more speed and athleticism to play the game defensively.

I agree with Stringy that Beefy is a communist.

Baseball is the best damned sport ever, and it should stick with wood bats.
I think the only real rational argument for using wooden bats is to make the game harder to play. At the pro level I think that's legit.

That composite bats would adversely affect the game or are safety hazards are arguments that just don't hold water. I have no problem with using wooden bats on the basis of it takes more skill to use them vs modern materials.

I mean an obvious answer to Stringy's problem with Maple bats is require that all Major league bats be made from Hickory. What the hell, they were good enough for Cobb, Ruth, Gherig and Dimagio.

How come you didnt show the obligatory post game riot and mayhem??
Naaa that's just England! Besides, American football fans are no better then British soccer hooligans. I was on High St after Ohio State beat Noter Dame and there was thousand of dumb ass thugs who should have been arrested that night. It was embarrassing.

Naaa that's just England! Besides, American football fans are no better then British soccer hooligans. I was on High St after Ohio State beat Noter Dame and there was thousand of dumb ass thugs who should have been arrested that night. It was embarrassing.
That only happens in Ohio, because Ohio sucks and that's the only thing to do there.

Again, raise the mound and give the advantage to the pitcher. I think the argument against using modern material technology for bats just doesn't hold water. It would also kill the designated hitter and require athletes with more speed and athleticism to play the game defensively.

Metal bats outperform wood significantly. At the pro level you would regularly see balls coming off the bat at 130 mph and up. That would be very dangerous at 50 something feet, where the pitcher ends up. I don't think raising the mound is going to protect them.

You would see more home runs and less speed and athleticism. The game would become a sluggers game, like during the steroid era.

But did any fences or bleachers collapse and was there any fighting with knives and pipes on the field??

Metal bats outperform wood significantly. At the pro level you would regularly see balls coming off the bat at 130 mph and up. That would be very dangerous at 50 something feet, where the pitcher ends up. I don't think raising the mound is going to protect them.

You would see more home runs and less speed and athleticism. The game would become a sluggers game, like during the steroid era.
You miss the point. Raising the mound gives the pitcher a marked advantage in the pitching game making it more difficult to hit pitching and increasing the repatoire of pitches, particularly breaking pitches, they can use. They recently dropped the height of mounds because pitchers had gained to much ascendency and offense suffered. As for home runs, just move the fence back. There to shallow in to many of these cookie cutter ball parks anyways. Hell Babe Ruth would have hit 900 home runs if he had played in the Great American Ball park.

I've seen no indication in college or high school games in increased safety risk due to composite bats or they simply wouldn't allow their use.

Those arguments just simply don't hold water. The only real justification for using wooden bats is to make it more difficult for the offensive player to bat. To increase the level of challenge for the batter. To force batters to develop a more refined swing.

Back