Maple Bats

But did any fences or bleachers collapse and was there any fighting with knives and pipes on the field??
Yes to the fences, did damage to the bleachers (though no collapse for obvious reasons), tore down the goal post, damaged the artificial turf so it had to be replaces, created a riot on high street after the came where there were cars turned over and set on fire, as well as fights galore and rioting. It was shameful behavior by a small group of fans and students.

You miss the point. Raising the mound gives the pitcher a marked advantage in the pitching game making it more difficult to hit pitching and increasing the repatoire of pitches, particularly breaking pitches, they can use. They recently dropped the height of mounds because pitchers had gained to much ascendency and offense suffered. As for home runs, just move the fence back. There to shallow in to many of these cookie cutter ball parks anyways. Hell Babe Ruth would have hit 900 home runs if he had played in the Great American Ball park.

I've seen no indication in college or high school games in increased safety risk due to composite bats or they simply wouldn't allow their use.

Those arguments just simply don't hold water. The only real justification for using wooden bats is to make it more difficult for the offensive player to bat. To increase the level of challenge for the batter. To force batters to develop a more refined swing.

College and high school players do not pitch with the velocity or hit with the power of pro athletes. I have seen several instances of players at that level getting dangerous line drives hit back at them.

Yes, if you moved the fences back you could lessen the impact of hr and level everything out again. But, I am not sure what the point is then.

I certainly would not do it without some trials in the minors.

I think we should just keep the newly improved exploding bats that make the game more exciting rather than using metal bats that "clink" when you hit with them.

You miss the point. Raising the mound gives the pitcher a marked advantage in the pitching game making it more difficult to hit pitching and increasing the repatoire of pitches, particularly breaking pitches, they can use. They recently dropped the height of mounds because pitchers had gained to much ascendency and offense suffered. As for home runs, just move the fence back. There to shallow in to many of these cookie cutter ball parks anyways. Hell Babe Ruth would have hit 900 home runs if he had played in the Great American Ball park.

I've seen no indication in college or high school games in increased safety risk due to composite bats or they simply wouldn't allow their use.

Those arguments just simply don't hold water. The only real justification for using wooden bats is to make it more difficult for the offensive player to bat. To increase the level of challenge for the batter. To force batters to develop a more refined swing.

Now you're delving into the rhealm of delusion.
You want to build new ones or refurbish older ballparks, just so aluminum bats can be used??

Yes to the fences, did damage to the bleachers (though no collapse for obvious reasons), tore down the goal post, damaged the artificial turf so it had to be replaces, created a riot on high street after the came where there were cars turned over and set on fire, as well as fights galore and rioting. It was shameful behavior by a small group of fans and students.

It can't be a respectful riot, if at least one opposing fan wasn't murdered. :palm:

They need to step up their team loyalty. :cof1:

I think we should just keep the newly improved exploding bats that make the game more exciting rather than using metal bats that "clink" when you hit with them.
I think we should use another type of exploding bats. The kind with wings.

Yeah, we heard your joke. It was slightly amusing the first couple times.

Are you having vocabulary problems again? Maybe, you want to share THE scientific definition of exploding or something?

What could also be done is the use of composite WOOD bats which are not made from a single wood billet. Composite wood bats pass the BESR tests for safety and speed and are far more durable than billet wood bats.

College and high school players do not pitch with the velocity or hit with the power of pro athletes. I have seen several instances of players at that level getting dangerous line drives hit back at them.

Yes, if you moved the fences back you could lessen the impact of hr and level everything out again. But, I am not sure what the point is then.

I certainly would not do it without some trials in the minors.
Again, that argument doesn't hold water. I've seen dangerous hit backs causing injuries to major league players using wooden bats.

The facts are composite bats would put more balls into play and would create more offensive action and I think that would be a plus.

Though I have no problem with the status quo and I think using wooden bats to increase the level of difficulty for batters is legit.

I mean the arguments you are making are the same arguments that were made when they redesigned that ball, back in the dead ball era, to what it is now. A harder, denser baseball that is hit at a higher velocity the the softer balls from the dead ball ear did. I just don't think the safety argument holds water.

You're behind the times dude. Aluminum bats are old tech and ancient history. Were talking about carbon fiber composite bats and they don't make that "Klink" sound when you hit the ball, the make a "Crack" sound like a rifle shot.

and oh yea.....they explode too as they don't hold up well in the handle area in cold weather.

Now you're delving into the rhealm of delusion.
You want to build new ones or refurbish older ballparks, just so aluminum bats can be used??
Why not? They built ones like Great American shallow for more offensive action. That's not delusion it's just a cycle in baseball, the old center field wall in Yankee Stadium where Ruth hit most of his home runs was 425 ft. The fence was moved in during the 50's. Most ball parks today have dead center at 350 to 375 ft. The old Forbes field in Pittsburgh dead center was like 450 ft. If they can move the fences in, they can move them back and have done so both ways more times then can be counted in Major League history.

But moving the fence isn't even needed. move the pitchers mount up 6 to 12" and you give one hell of an advantage to the pitcher.

Again, that argument doesn't hold water. I've seen dangerous hit backs causing injuries to major league players using wooden bats.

The facts are composite bats would put more balls into play and would create more offensive action and I think that would be a plus.

Though I have no problem with the status quo and I think using wooden bats to increase the level of difficulty for batters is legit.

I mean the arguments you are making are the same arguments that were made when they redesigned that ball, back in the dead ball era, to what it is now. A harder, denser baseball that is hit at a higher velocity the the softer balls from the dead ball ear did. I just don't think the safety argument holds water.

Sure it does. There is danger with wood bats. There is danger with a dead ball and more with a lively ball. But, I do not believe the live ball creates a significant increase in danger that warrants not using them. I do believe and I am arguing that metal bats will significantly increase the danger.

As far as I know, all baseball/softball associations believe that as well and place limits on bats for that reason. There might be some people who play with no limits on bats, but if so, they are extremely rare.

Good point. That's a big capital investment on the hunch that metal bats will improve the game.
No it's not. It's a reactionary action if they make it a home run derby, which I doubt and so what if it does? It makes the game more exciting for fans with more offense.

Again, I'm not arguing for a switch to composite bats. I'm just stating that the arguments against them are bogus and don't hold water. The only legitimate reason to keep wooden bats is to make the game harder for batters. To increase their skill level when batting. Wooden bats have a smaller "sweet spot" and require a more refined swing to be affective.

What could also be done is the use of composite WOOD bats which are not made from a single wood billet. Composite wood bats pass the BESR tests for safety and speed and are far more durable than billet wood bats.
Yea but they still weigh about 32 to 36 oz. Composite bats can weigh as little as 15 oz giving the batter considerably more acceleration in their swing and they have a larger diameter barrel (sweet spot) so their more forgiving.

The big down side of composite bats is their durability. Their known to break in the handle area in cold weather. Not an issue in the pros where money is not an issue but at $200 to $500 a bat....that's an issue at the amature level (where ironically they are used in high school and college ball.).

Composite bats when they break, tend to shatter into small pieces and because they are so much lighter, they don't cary the force a wood bat does when it breaks so are not as big a safety hazard in that respect as Maple bats.

Holy shit $500 for a bat? I'm in the wrong business. I could make those in my garage. All you need is a thickness planer, a press and a lathe.

No it's not. It's a reactionary action if they make it a home run derby, which I doubt and so what if it does? It makes the game more exciting for fans with more offense.

Again, I'm not arguing for a switch to composite bats. I'm just stating that the arguments against them are bogus and don't hold water. The only legitimate reason to keep wooden bats is to make the game harder for batters. To increase their skill level when batting. Wooden bats have a smaller "sweet spot" and require a more refined swing to be affective.

Or for safety reasons. Why does the ASA have limits on bats? Is it to make it more difficult to hit the ball. Nope, it is primarily for safety reasons.

I played in a league out in Cali that only allowed single walled bats and would not let me use my ASA bat. It had nothing to do with making it harder on the hitter. It was because there were a large number of elderly players and they were concerned about safety.

You are wrong that safety is not a legitimate issue.

Back