Mergers and aquisitions hurt our country

My bad! I'm with a new group at work so I've been trying to be on my best behavior at work and on this board. Well f*ck that! :)

Speaking of those two idiots and midgets, I heard several different people talk about midgets this weekend and not one used the politically correct term 'little people'. Prak and Euc are just hating on me because I have a bigger heart than they do. :)

I feel like I'm being condenscending when I say "Little People". I just say, "has dwarfism" now even though not all vertically challenged people have that.

I feel like I'm being condenscending when I say "Little People". I just say, "has dwarfism" now even though not all vertically challenged people have that.

Seriously, that's what I thought too. It sounds totally condescending. Hell, go up to a kid and call him 'little man' and they usually respond with 'i'm not little'. I can't understand why a 'vertically challenge' person would want to be called 'little people'.

Just to clarify and then I'll let it drop. I didn't go up to the guy and say "hey midget". Someone in the office made a comment about the guy (not in his presence) thus my curiousity and why I asked the question (to the board) about what the politicially correct name is.

And maybe I'm unique in this though I can't imagine I am in having someone ask me to describe someone they are going to meet or describe myself over the phone to a person I'm meeting at a building or something along those lines.

With myself it's easy, I just say look for the buff and studly guy. But for others you usually have to give a description beyond there name and the fact that they are human.

Ah, it's the Cawacko I know and love! I laughed when you said "I didn't go up to the guy and say hey midget". I have a bad sense of humor for a liberal Cawacko, so you know, I'm not the one to ask. A good liberal wouldn't have laughed while picturing that. I don't know what to tell you to use when referencing or having to describe him to a third person.

Seriously, that's what I thought too. It sounds totally condescending. Hell, go up to a kid and call him 'little man' and they usually respond with 'i'm not little'. I can't understand why a 'vertically challenge' person would want to be called 'little people'.

Yeah, it sounds very funny to me, strange-funny. I wouldn't use that term, even if it is considered the PC term. Sounds like Tiana has the best, though still not perfect, solution.

Yeah, it sounds very funny to me, strange-funny. I wouldn't use that term, even if it is considered the PC term. Sounds like Tiana has the best, though still not perfect, solution.

Definitely not perfect, but I'm not sure what else to do since I feel weird calling someone little to begin with. Particulary since I use it as an insult. As in I would call Asswipe a "Little Man", based on well, a myriad of things.

Definitely not perfect, but I'm not sure what else to do since I feel weird calling someone little to begin with. Particulary since I use it as an insult. As in I would call Asswipe a "Little Man", based on well, a myriad of things.

The only reason it's not perfect is, because as you already stated, not all of them are suffering from drawfism. But I think it's way better than "little people".

The only reason it's not perfect is, because as you already stated, not all of them are suffering from drawfism. But I think it's way better than "little people".

http://www.lpaonline.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=44397&orgId=lpa

Maybe 'has dwarfism' isn't that bad. I thought dwarfism was specific to "achondroplasia" but it looks like it encompasses most of the disorders:

Q: What are the most common types of dwarfism?

A: The most frequently diagnosed cause of short stature is achondroplasia, a genetic condition that results in disproportionately short arms and legs. The average height of adults with achondroplasia is 4'0". Other relatively common genetic conditions that result in disproportionate short stature include spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita (SEDc), diastrophic dysplasia, pseudoachondroplasia, hypochondroplasia, and osteogenesis imperfecta (OI). As one might expect from their names, pseudoachondroplasia and hypochondroplasia are conditions that have been confused with achondroplasia; diastrophic dysplasia occasionally is, too. OI is characterized by fragile bones that fracture easily.

According to information compiled by the Greenberg Center at Johns Hopkins Medical Center and by the late Lee Kitchens, a past president of LPA, the frequency of occurrence of the most common types of dwarfism is as follows:
Achondroplasia (one per 26,000 to 40,000 births)
SEDc (one per 95,000 births)
Diastrophic dysplasia (one per 110,000 births)

Also, I don't the name dwarf either.

Such terms as dwarf, little person, LP, and person of short stature are all acceptable, but most people would rather be referred to by their name than by a label.

I'm going with "has dwarfism" or is short statured.

Back