APP - Microsoft To Allow Users To Choose Browsers

I think it's ironic that you talk about being computer illiterate and not knowing there are choices and then you quote me three different times to say three different things.....next time, consider the edit button.....

Well, you got the 10 right anyway, it is 10% of total users.

not to be picky or anything, but when I went to your link source, it said almost 20%....but I'm curious.....since this many people not only don't know how to change browsers, they don't even know how to click yes, when they get a user message saying "would you like to upgrade for free now", why do you think giving them a choice is worth the government's effort?..........

Last edited:
not to be picky or anything, but when I went to your link source, it said almost 20%....but I'm curious.....since this many people not only don't know how to change browsers, they don't even know how to click yes, when they get a user message saying "would you like to upgrade for free now", why do you think giving them a choice is worth the government's effort?..........

Yes it is 20% of overall IE usage but around 10% of total browser market share.

Well when IE6 is boycotted by most websites they will have to care.

http://blog.tamar.com/2010/02/ie6-grinding-to-a-slow-stop/

Microsoft will eventually stop supporting IE6. Who cares? That is part of the software life cycle.

I spent many hours last night updating the firmware on on old router to use it as a repeater bridge. It was a somewhat complicated and finicky process with several steps. After hours of going back to square one because I thought I had screwed something up, I found documentation that Firefox and Chrome (I use Firefox) had some problem saving settings to the router. I finished it pretty quickly, with IE, after that.

Anti-MS people are cult like. There is no need to ban, boycott or pressure people to use the browser you think is best. The people can make their own choices. They do not need your help.

Personally, I will use what works best at a reasonable price (browsers are free largely due to MS). I don't care who makes it.

Well, except for Apple (bunch of Nazis) products. But even there, I might try one of their products free of hooks.

Last edited:
Microsoft will eventually stop supporting IE6. Who cares? That is part of the software life cycle.

I spent many hours last night updating the firmware on on old router to use it as a repeater bridge. It was a somewhat complicated and finicky process with several steps. After hours of going back to square one because I thought I had screwed something up, I found documentation that Firefox and Chrome (I use Firefox) had some problem saving settings to the router. I finished it pretty quickly, with IE, after that.

Anti-MS people are cult like. There is no need to ban, boycott or pressure people to use the browser you think is best. The people can make their own choices. They do not need your help.

Personally, I will use what works best at a reasonable price (browsers are free largely due to MS). I don't care who makes it.

Well, except for Apple (bunch of Nazis) products. But even there, I might try one of their products free of hooks.

But that is exactly what is happening, people are being given a choice which they didn't know existed primarily due to apathy/ignorance.

Whilst we are about it, ask yourself why the US government filed a protracted anti trust case against Microsoft because of the way it treated Netscape. If it hadn't been for Bush II, Microsoft would have been split up long ago, as was ATT before it, resulting in a much fairer marketplace. It really amazes me how many people here argue for a state of laissez faire economics to reign, isn't that exactly why the financial markets went into meltdown? I suggest that they bone up on the Standard Oil anti trust case of the first decade of the 20th century. When you've done that then you might care to go to the link below for the reasons why the decision was taken.

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/02/06/the-european-commission-and-microsoft/

Last edited:
But that is exactly what is happening, people are being given a choice which they didn't know existed primarily due to apathy/ignorance.

They are apathetic about it, because IE works for them. They do not see a need to change. Just because it is not your choice does not mean it is the wrong one.

Whilst we are about it, ask yourself why the US government filed a protracted anti trust case against Microsoft because of the way it treated Netscape. If it hadn't been for Bush II, Microsoft would have been split up long ago, as was ATT before it, resulting in a much fairer marketplace. It really amazes me how many people here argue for a state of laissez faire economics to reign, isn't that exactly why the financial markets went into meltdown? I suggest that they bone up on the Standard Oil anti trust case of the first decade of the 20th century. When you've done that then you might care to go to the link below for the reasons why the decision was taken.

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2009/02/06/the-european-commission-and-microsoft/

Good for Bush then.

They are apathetic about it, because IE works for them. They do not see a need to change. Just because it is not your choice does not mean it is the wrong one.

Good for Bush then.

Obviously you are happy with near monopolies having a stranglehold on the market stifling innovation and queering the pitch for others. Anyway how can you have a choice if you are unaware of the alternatives, if people want to choose IE then that is their right but there is no harm in presenting a choice except to MS of course. How many people have even heard of Opera, Midori or Flock? I suspect that what you are really saying is that as you couldn't care less then you can't see why others might, that says more about you than anything else.

The next target to go after is Windows Media Player which is just pathetic and restrictive. There are many formats that it will not play such as MP4, OGG and FLV.

Last edited:
Obviously you are happy with near monopolies having a stranglehold on the market stifling innovation and queering the pitch for others. Anyway how can you have a choice if you are unaware of the alternatives, if people want to choose IE then that is their right but there is no harm in presenting a choice except to MS of course. How many people have even heard of Opera, Midori or Flock? I suspect that what you are really saying is that as you couldn't care less then you can't see why others might, that says more about you than anything else.

I do not care how much market share they have, except in considerations of what I need to support. I certainly do not care when picking the right tool. As I pointed out, I have found several cases where Firefox is not the best tool, though it is the one I use most often.

The only legitimate concern regarding monopolies is if they actually attempt to control users. Naturally, companies will try to influence our decisions. They do that by simply offering a product. If they do so in way I find intrusive or burdensome (like Apple does) then I just will not use their product. I have not found Microsoft to be overly controlling at all.

So what, now we need to have equal time for browsers? Maybe we should fund some commercials for the lesser known browsers? How about other products?

They have always had a choice. One can choose to remain ignorant, as well. My guess is most did not see the need to change their browser. They may not have seen a need to research alternatives. That indicates that they are probably satisfied with their browser or at least not so dissatisfied to get them to act.

My guess, is most people who need to know about Opera do. If they do not, it is not because the information is unavailable. The other two maybe not, but why not demand that MS give those choices equal billing? Where does this need to educate the consumer end and why?

The next target to go after is Windows Media Player which is just pathetic and restrictive. There are many formats that it will not play such as MP4, OGG and FLV.

That's straight fascism. We do not need the state to pick market winners. They do a horrible job of it and are incredibly inefficient at choosing. The market has always been far superior in that regard. Further, I do not understand why you feel it is critical in this area and not all others?

If people are too dumb to pick their browser or media player, then why not their toothpaste? Do we need to make sure that they know all their options in toothpaste?

I just wish they would come together and standardize on how they interpret html, CSS and Javascript, I have had a fair amount of pain with constantly fixing problems that only apply to 1 or 2 browsers and work for the rest. I don't bother testing my shit in Opera anymore as at least thanks to Google analytics I can tell damn near no one visits my sites with it.

I just wish they would come together and standardize on how they interpret html, CSS and Javascript, I have had a fair amount of pain with constantly fixing problems that only apply to 1 or 2 browsers and work for the rest. I don't bother testing my shit in Opera anymore as at least thanks to Google analytics I can tell damn near no one visits my sites with it.

ah, standardization.....that of course, is why Microsoft exists in the first place.......I can remember when computers didn't HAVE operating systems and you never knew if a program written by someone else was going to work in your computer.......you had to know BASIC programming just to use a computer....

ah, standardization.....that of course, is why Microsoft exists in the first place.......I can remember when computers didn't HAVE operating systems and you never knew if a program written by someone else was going to work in your computer.......you had to know BASIC programming just to use a computer....

You really don't have a clue, do you? MS will always try to fuck about, which is why IE is so bad at adhering to standards.

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/06/file-format-timeline.html

Back