Milagro, your thoughts

I believe you have said your wife is from Thailand, this article from CNN interested me. I love street food. Growing up in California, we had lots of local markets that had "street" food. But going to Mexico, well, it was pretty good, but not that good. In the 2000's street food exploded in California and it was awesome.

Is Bangkok really banning street food?

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/foodanddrink/bangkok-street-food-ban/index.html[/video]

If your wife is not from Thailand, I apologize.

Anyway, I have experienced a small sampling of Asian streetfood and it is not like here in the US. We have trucks etc., but nothing like Asia.

Oh, and I banned bukkkle so he can't insult your wife.

I believe you have said you wife is from Thailand, this article from CNN interested me. I love street food. Growing up in California, we had lots of local markets that had "street" food. But going to Mexico, well, it was pretty good, but not that good. In the 2000's street food exploded in California and it was awesome.

Is Bangkok really banning street food?

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/foodanddrink/bangkok-street-food-ban/index.html[/video]

If your wife is not from Thailand, I apologize.

Anyway, I have experienced a small sampling of Asian streetfood and it is not like here in the US. We have trucks etc., but nothing like Asia.

Oh, and I banned bukkkle so he can't insult your wife.

Yes she is, I saw that article on the Thaivisa forum. Thailand has been voted the best street food award for two years running, yet they want to move them off the streets. Singapore did the same many years back, so we shall see. I am ambivalent about it, the street food available is truly remarkable but many of those stalls block the pavements. I would imagine in true Thai fashion, there will some brown envelopes stuffed with baht to make it go away.

As for Nostradumbarse, my missus would make short work of him if he said that shit to her face.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Yes she is, I saw that article on the Thaivisa forum. Thailand has been voted the best street food award for two years running, yet they want to move them off the streets. Singapore did the same many years back, so we shall see. I am ambivalent about it, the street food available is truly remarkable but many of those stalls block the pavements. I would imagine in true Thai fashion, there will some brown envelopes stuffed with baht to make it go away.

As for Nostradumbarse, my missus would make short work of him if he said that shit to her face.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Is the street food as good as it looks? I had an opportunity to Bangkok, but had to go to Okinawa. I wish it had been Bangkok, IMO. Okinawa, well, not exactly Japanese, but not exactly different either.

Is the street food as good as it looks? I had an opportunity to Bangkok, but had to go to Okinawa. I wish it had been Bangkok, IMO. Okinawa, well, not exactly Japanese, but not exactly different either.
The street food in Thailand is truly amazing, the variety and high standard is quite remarkable. You know it must be good as the food is eaten by many Thais not just Farangs (foreigners). Thais are the fussiest people on the planet when it comes to food and no food stall would last long if it sold bad food. One of the reasons is that everything is fresh that day usually, especially the vegetables. People get up at four in the morning to get the best produce.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Baluuuut! Baluuut!

Oh man it's something distinct to Southeast Asia that is wondrous yet impossible to describe is the aroma of the street food vendors which, at least in the Philippines, are associated with the open air markets which in metro areas are huge. The smells, colors, taste, sounds, it can be disorienting when your not used to it.

The street food food scene in the Philippines is amazing. Particularly the soups/noodles. Which like a lot of Asian countries are meals in a bowl. If you're in an Asian country and you see a long que in front of a soup/noodle vendor you would be well advised to get in line.

Some of street food I've had in the Philippines that's particularly good is;

Lechon manok - spit roasted chicken. The chicken there isn't factory chicken and a lot more flavorful.

Pancit - a fried noodle dish

Lumpias- fried spring rolls.

Lechon - spit roasted pork. Painstakingly cooked over coals till the skin is amber colored and crisp. It's pig heaven.

My personal favorite is sigsig which is made from chopped pork mixed with a little liver pate, fried crisp and served on a sizzle plate and topped with an sunny side up egg. This is usually eaten as a snack while drinking beer.

Baluuuut! Baluuut!

Oh man it's something distinct to Southeast Asia that is wondrous yet impossible to describe is the aroma of the street food vendors which, at least in the Philippines, are associated with the open air markets which in metro areas are huge. The smells, colors, taste, sounds, it can be disorienting when your not used to it.

The street food food scene in the Philippines is amazing. Particularly the soups/noodles. Which like a lot of Asian countries are meals in a bowl. If you're in an Asian country and you see a long que in front of a soup/noodle vendor you would be well advised to get in line.

Lechon manok - spit roasted chicken. The chicken there isn't factory chicken and a lot more flavorful.

Lechon - spit roasted pork. Painstakingly cooked over coals till the skin is amber colored and crisp. It's pig heaven.

My personal favorite is sigsig which is made from chopped pork mixed with a little liver pate, fried crisp and served on a sizzle plate and topped with an sunny side up egg. This is usually eaten as a snack while drinking beer.

Baluuuut! Baluuut!

You think the scene is amazing because it's different. After a while it gets old really quick. That food sucks.

You think the scene is amazing because it's different. After a while it gets old really quick. That food sucks.
I've been eating it for 12 years. It hardly sucks. Lechon is as good or better than any BBQ pork I have had in the South and most American soups are bowls full of crap compared to Asian noodle soups.

Granted a lot of street food is simple grilled treats you would make at home or simple home recipes and like fast food, if you ate it every day it would get old fast but that's not the way it works. Do you eat at McD's or Wendy's or Pizza Hut everyday?

I've been eating it for 12 years. It hardly sucks. Lechon is as good or better than any BBQ pork I have had in the South and most American soups are bowls full of crap compared to Asian noodle soups.

Granted a lot of street food is simple grilled treats you would make at home or simple home recipes and like fast food, if you ate it every day it would get old fast but that's not the way it works. Do you eat at McD's or Wendy's or Pizza Hut everyday?

You live in Ohio. You haven't been eating it for 12 years.

I hear you guys about the street food.
One in particular stands out for me. Don't know what it's called, maybe one of you can help me out.
In Luang Prabang, Laos I got a large, thick slab of bacon or pork belly grilled over embers. Not sure if it had sauce cooked in or not but that was the tastiest thing I had my whole trip.

You live in Ohio. You haven't been eating it for 12 years.
My wife is Filipino...I most certainly have been eating it for 12 years. Along with Adobo, Kare-kare, pinekbet, sinagang, longanisa's, bulalo, bistek, kaldereta (which I make better than my wife...pisses her off), etc, etc.

One in particular stands out for me. Don't know what it's called, maybe one of you can help me out.
In Luang Prabang, Laos I got a large, thick slab of bacon or pork belly grilled over embers. Not sure if it had sauce cooked in or not but that was the tastiest thing I had my whole trip.
Oh it depends where you are...they love their pork in Asia and there's a zillion variations on the them for pork belly, grilled, fried and roasted...all good.

My wife is Filipino...I most certainly have been eating it for 12 years. Along with Adobo, Kare-kare, pinekbet, sinagang, longanisa's, bulalo, bistek, kaldereta (which I make better than my wife...pisses her off), etc, etc.

Your wife is Filipino...good for you. How do you hang that basket in your bedroom by the way?

You still haven't been eating Filipino street food for 12 years.

Did you get to see the Khone Phapheng Falls?

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Oh it depends where you are...they love their pork in Asia and there's a zillion variations on the them for pork belly, grilled, fried and roasted...all good.
When I worked in Thailand, many moons ago, we would call down to the restaurant near our apartment and order a suckling pig which they would roast on charcoal out in the street.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Your wife is Filipino...good for you. How do you hang that basket in your bedroom by the way?

You still haven't been eating Filipino street food for 12 years.
LOL no not every day but my wife just bought a new grill yesterday so she can make some. So I do eat it regularly. Here's a recipe for Filipo street food that's pretty much the national dish. Pork Adobo.

Cut about 1 kg of fatty pork (I use boneless country ribs or pork belly) into bite size pieces.
Marinate overnight with 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup vinegar, 3 whole cloves of garlic, 3 slices of ginger and 1 or 2 chili peppers.

Next day to cook place all that in a pot, bring to a boil, cover and let simmer 30 - 40 minutes. Remove pork from pot, remove solids and discard. Add 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Boil till reduced by half. Take pork and brown with a little oil in a hot skillet or wok. Add browned pork back into sauce and coat pork.

Add half a dozen pieces of pork to a bed of jasmine rice and drizzle a couple tbsp of sauce over the rice (a little sauce goes a long way.). It's usually served with string beans as a vegetable side. Enjoy!

LOL no not every day but my wife just bought a new grill yesterday so she can make some. So I do eat it regularly. Here's a recipe for Filipo street food that's pretty much the national dish. Pork Adobo.

Cut about 1 kg of fatty pork (I use boneless country ribs or pork belly) into bite size pieces.
Marinate overnight with 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup vinegar, 3 whole cloves of garlic, 3 slices of ginger and 1 or 2 chili peppers.

Next day to cook place all that in a pot, bring to a boil, cover and let simmer 30 - 40 minutes. Remove pork from pot, remove solids and discard. Add 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Boil till reduced by half. Take pork and brown with a little oil in a hot skillet or wok. Add browned pork back into sauce and coat pork.

Add half a dozen pieces of pork to a bed of jasmine rice and drizzle a couple tbsp of sauce over the rice (a little sauce goes a long way.). It's usually served with string beans as a vegetable side. Enjoy!

That's not what is sold in Manila.

Back