Milagro, your thoughts

Maybe not in Manila but my Nanay taught it to me. :p
Do they have anything like Som Tam in the Philippines? Thai women absolutely love it, but many foreigners just can't handle the heat. I am convinced that there is a masochistic element to eating it as the way it is made especially in Isarn is volcanic in hotness. They also like to add tiny little black crabs to the mortar and pestle, never really understood what purpose they serve to be honest. Some people also add water beetles, that is a taste too far for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/23/how-to-make-perfect-som-tam-thai-salad

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Last edited:
Do they have anything like Som Tam in the Philippines? Thai women absolutely love it, but many foreigners just can't handle the heat. I am convinced that there is a masochistic element to eating it as the way it is made especially in Isarn is volcanic in hotness. They also like to add tiny little black crabs to the mortar and pestle, never really understood what purpose they serve to be honest. Some people also add water beetles, that is a taste too far for me.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/23/how-to-make-perfect-som-tam-thai-salad

Sent from my iPhone 10S
No they don't. They have Achara which is a green papaya relish that is outstanding with lechon or grilled bangus (milkfish) but it's more sweet and crunchy.

Surprisingly for a tropical nation Filipino's are not that much into spicy hot food. The first time I took Mrs. Hoople out for Buffalo wings we only had the standard hot sauce ones and she thought they were too hot. A Thai would have thought them tepid at best. I've tried authentic Thai basil chicken and I couldn't handle it. I ate about a quarter of the serving and had to drink a pint of milk.

No they don't. They have Achara which is a green papaya relish that is outstanding with lechon or grilled bangus (milkfish) but it's more sweet and crunchy.

Surprisingly for a tropical nation Filipino's are not that much into spicy hot food. The first time I took Mrs. Hoople out for Buffalo wings we only had the standard hot sauce ones and she thought they were too hot. A Thai would have thought them tepid at best. I've tried authentic Thai basil chicken and I couldn't handle it. I ate about a quarter of the serving and had to drink a pint of milk.

Bread son. Eat bread next time.

Do Thai's have something similar to Kare-Kare? This is my all time favorite Filipino food...not likely to sold as street food. I've only had it made with Ox-Tails.

http://www.whats4eats.com/meats/kare-kare-recipe
Yeh they do, sort of anyway. Not a great fan of oxtails to be honest just can't forget their proximity to a buffalo's arse. I think it's more common in the Muslim south.

http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/oxtail-soup

Sent from my iPhone 10S

I hear you guys about the street food.
One in particular stands out for me. Don't know what it's called, maybe one of you can help me out.
In Luang Prabang, Laos I got a large, thick slab of bacon or pork belly grilled over embers. Not sure if it had sauce cooked in or not but that was the tastiest thing I had my whole trip.

I am 99% sure you are referring to moo saam sunh. Good stuff!

Yeh they do, sort of anyway. Not a great fan of oxtails to be honest just can't forget their proximity to a buffalo's arse. I think it's more common in the Muslim south.

http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/oxtail-soup

Sent from my iPhone 10S
Meh I like ox-tails....they make the best damned stock and are awesome for braising but I can do without the skin! LOL

I make a pasta dish using ox tails that would blow your socks off. It's really just a jumped up version of beef and noodles but all the gelatin you get from braising ox tails makes in incredible sauce.

Yes she is, I saw that article on the Thaivisa forum. Thailand has been voted the best street food award for two years running, yet they want to move them off the streets. Singapore did the same many years back, so we shall see. I am ambivalent about it, the street food available is truly remarkable but many of those stalls block the pavements. I would imagine in true Thai fashion, there will some brown envelopes stuffed with baht to make it go away.

As for Nostradumbarse, my missus would make short work of him if he said that shit to her face.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Singapore makes sense, as the street carts are bound to promote litter. Tourists there probably are drawn to the obsessive state of cleanliness. Thailand doing it is just going to annoy people.

I hear you guys about the street food.
One in particular stands out for me. Don't know what it's called, maybe one of you can help me out.
In Luang Prabang, Laos I got a large, thick slab of bacon or pork belly grilled over embers. Not sure if it had sauce cooked in or not but that was the tastiest thing I had my whole trip.

Fat dog. (as in canine) did you love it?

I have Guinness and corned beef every St. Paddy's Day, because I'm damn cultured.
I have zero Irish in me
but I love Corned beef with cabbage, turnip, potato, carrot and onion all boiled in one pot. Also known as Boiled Dinner in Olde New England. (can also substitute smoked shoulder)

Of course I have two half Irish children so...

Meh I like ox-tails....they make the best damned stock and are awesome for braising but I can do without the skin! LOL

I make a pasta dish using ox tails that would blow your socks off. It's really just a jumped up version of beef and noodles but all the gelatin you get from braising ox tails makes in incredible sauce.
Oxtail stew
another classic

Do you use egg noodles? Egg noodles and beef gravy!

Oxtail stew
another classic

Do you use egg noodles? Egg noodles and beef gravy!
Yes. I make home made poppardelle pasta for this recipe which are a really tender egg noodle. I braise the oxtails in red wine and beef broth till fall apart tender. I let them cool and remove the meat from the bones and shred it. I then strain the braising liquid and refrigerate till the grease freezes on top which I remove. Next step is a split a cup of baby carrots in half and sautéed them with a pack of sliced mushrooms till they carmalize. Then I add the meat and braising liquid, bring to a boil and season. Then I toss in the cooked pasta, toss, plate and garnish with parm and parsley.

Singapore makes sense, as the street carts are bound to promote litter. Tourists there probably are drawn to the obsessive state of cleanliness. Thailand doing it is just going to annoy people.

Actually the streets of Bangkok are remarkably clean, the main ones anyway. The police like nothing better than to make some extra money fining people. Only been to Singapore once, wouldn't go again it's incredibly boring and sterile.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Back