Misconception of Eggs and Easter...

But true Damo! Lets run and hide, duck and cover time!

We need a chicken little emoticon.
I know spin would love to use it on me about my economic posts :D

SO why are you getting all bent out of shape over the pagan meaning being mentioned? WTF is wrong with you?
You are the one getting bent out of shape. Your assertion that the previously assigned meaning is what counts is what is simply wrong. Earlier you even agreed that the meaning is what is currently taught. Yet you still insist that the importance lies in some meaning that is not assigned to the symbol. It is ridiculous. Yet you insist on continuing an argument you already acceded.

Currently the egg is not used in the same way that they used it in those ceremonies.

I assert that, in fact, the meanings assigned are so very different that it is unlikely that they took the symbol from the other. You assert that regardless of what it may mean now, that the importance lies in what it used to mean, in fact that it somehow "corrupted" the religion.

Finally after many posts and discourse on the subject you even got to the point where you admit that the meaning that is taught along with the symbol is the one that holds importance to today's reality. Then the next day you just begin again. Decide.

Either way it doesn't change my original post, which recognizes both the current symbolism that is Pagan, as well as the previous symbolism that was Judaic in origin.

So, either read the original post, which clearly mentions the Pagan symbolism and then move on from there without false assertions that I somehow am upset that Pagan is mentioned. Clearly you are inept at reading comprehension if you cannot read the word "Pagan" in the original post.

So, either read the original post, which clearly mentions the Pagan symbolism and then move on from there without false assertions that I somehow am upset that Pagan is mentioned. Clearly you are inept at reading comprehension if you cannot read the word "Pagan" in the original post.

But what is the titular "misconception"?

But what is the titular "misconception"?
The misconception is made clear in the original post.

That the symbolism of the holiday is more than the constantly assigned Pagan ritual, that there was a reason the egg was included even before the adoption of that clear Pagan symbolism circa 329 AD.

The misconception is made clear in the original post.

That the symbolism of the holiday is more than the constantly assigned Pagan ritual, that there was a reason the egg was included even before the adoption of that clear Pagan symbolism circa 329 AD.

No. that was your point. What was the MISCONCEPTION?

No. that was your point. What was the MISCONCEPTION?
Once again, that there is only Pagan symbolism in the use of eggs in the holiday.

Why are you being so deliberately disingenuous?

Consistently we hear from the Atheists and Human Secularists how it is so "funny" that the Christians "don't know" that the eggs are Pagan symbols. This is a simple misconception, a tiny lie, constantly pushed on them. I sought only to include the previous meaning and why eggs were present at the holiday long before the Pagan symbolism was added.

But who said that there was "only" pagan meaning? I admitted the new religions have a "cover story" meaning to hide their luciferian intent.
The thread wasn't about you. The thread is about the misconception that the only reason eggs take part in Easter is because of inclusion of Pagan ritual on or about 329 AD. Only you seem to think the thread is about you.

I have heard Pastors give sermons on this erroneous information, they too do not know the original symbolic meaning of the egg or why it was included in the holiday even before that inclusion.

So, I gave information, so that in the future when a child asks a parent, "Why do we have eggs on Easter?" they might be able to give a more educated answer than a silly story of a bunny.

I seek to dispel a common misconception. That is all.

The thread wasn't about you. The thread is about the misconception that the only reason eggs take part in Easter is because of inclusion of Pagan ritual on or about 329 AD. Only you seem to think the thread is about you.

I have heard Pastors give sermons on this erroneous information, they too do not know the original symbolic meaning of the egg or why it was included in the holiday even before that inclusion.

So, I gave information, so that in the future when a child asks a parent, "Why do we have eggs on Easter?" they might be able to give a more educated answer than a silly story of a bunny.

I seek to dispel a common misconception. That is all.

This thing is: your "inclusion before the inclusion" blather only makes sense to you. The egg has been around PRIOR to judaism and christianity, and religions don't develop in a vcauum. ergoooooo....

This thing is: your "inclusion before the inclusion" blather only makes sense to you. The egg has been around PRIOR to judaism and christianity, and religions don't develop in a vcauum. ergoooooo....
However, as I stated before, the usage denotes an entirely different origin for that particular symbolism than Paganism.

The only clearly Pagan portion comes in the painting and hiding of the eggs. That was introduced on or around 329 AD. All other suggestions other than the actual meaning in Seder and the meaning of the symbol in use before then are simply speculation. Especially when the meaning and application were so very far apart.

It is more than likely that eggs were given at the funeral because they were easiest to carry and the time that burials were given would create a need for sustenance. Therefore, over time, it became a ritual to be given an egg after the internment of a body. This gave rise to symbolic meanings later assigned.

It is more likely that is the progression than they said, "Hey look at those Pagan using eggs to denote fertility and hiding in the bushes fornicating! Let's take that, make it into a funeral rite, and pass it on to later generations!"

Fair enough Damo I can accept that the egg was a part of passover, and appreciate the correction to my mistake about Easter eggs.

What about the easter bunny ?
:D

Fair enough Damo I can accept that the egg was a part of passover, and appreciate the correction to my mistake about Easter eggs.

What about the easter bunny ?
:D
That is part of the inclusion into the religion of Pagan symbols. The rabbit along with the egg were both fertility symbols.

Wait a minute! I thought you said the eggs were passover vittles ?
Yes, however I also stated that in 329 AD they added some Pagan ritual in order to bring more of the Pagans to the fold. Keep up there, uscit.

Lets give a timeline:

1. After Christs death and burial the apostles and family present would have been given, and eaten, an egg. It is part of the mourning ritual of that time.

2. Future Christians, in commemoration of that event, also would mourn during this period. Enter the egg.

3. This was also in agreement with Passover Seder which is celebrated at that time. As explained in the first post. Another reason for the egg.

4. The church began to attempt to distance themselves from Judaism. Often leaving out explanations of symbolism in the holiday. Egg still there, just unexplained.

5. Centuries after this particular holiday started the Church began aggressively adding things of pagan ritual into their holiday celebrations in order to bring more pagans to the fold. In this case they began coloring the eggs and hiding them. The bunny is part of that. Egg there, added coloring, hiding, bunny.

6. People begin using this form of the celebration without knowledge of the previous symbolism of the egg in the holiday. Church is very successful in separating the religions.

7. Damocles researches and finds out what the egg actually meant before the inclusion into the holiday of pagan symbolism and informs you on this site. We'll see if others, and there are some out there, will pick this up and bring forth new meaning for the eggs on Easter greater and more significant than Peter Cotontail.

And all this started for Damocles because he heard a Jew mentioning that eggs played an important part in both celebrations which excited my curiosity and brought me into a whirlwind of research, most of which actually was not done on the web.

Back