Most liberal member of JPP

I really think I'm probably the most outright liberal member of JPP. At least socially.

Full legalization of all drugs
The eventual abolishment of prison as a form of punishment... as a transitionary step, trying to only hold violent or fraudulent criminals, with the goal of getting to around 50 prisoners per 100,000 citizen
National healthcare
Replacing the current "copyright" system with another form of compensation for aritsts
Switching to a parliamentary (no more bad presidents for eight years) system with proportional representation (by STV)
National daycare
Gay marriage
Gay's in the military
Recongnition of global warming as a problem, and using any method possible to counteract that
Cutting the military budget in half
Free trade bitches! Goddamit, it depresses me how the left has abandoned that.

Can anyone else compete with that?

In a heartbeat.

I can understand how a person like you would think a statement like that would mean that, being you have a complete misinterpretation of what the affirmative action program is, but no, that's not how you'd "reach" that.

Once you've gotten rid of prison sentence for drug offenders and non-violent offenders you'll have around 50/100K in prison.

So why not just state that you're against incarceration for drug crimes? That's what you're actually saying. Just say it.

And affirmative action is racial discrimination against white people. Accept it and reject it. (the its refer to different things.)

Racial discrimination against white people except for the fact that white women are the biggest beneficiaries.

Racial discrimination against white people except for the fact that white women are the biggest beneficiaries.

discrimination against white men is wrong enough to discard the whole program. Fuck this racist, sexist bullshit. retribution != justice.

So why not just state that you're against incarceration for drug crimes? That's what you're actually saying. Just say it.

And affirmative action is racial discrimination against white people. Accept it and reject it. (the its refer to different things.)

If drugs were decriminalised, at least as far as consumption goes, incarceration becomes moot.

Affirmative action is a valid policy tool, like any other policy tool it's capable of being abused.

If drugs were decriminalised, at least as far as consumption goes, incarceration becomes moot.

Affirmative action is a valid policy tool, like any other policy tool it's capable of being abused.

It is not a valid policy tool as it relies on racial and gender discrimination.

How does it rely on racial and gender discrimination?

Well as far as racial discrimination goes, if the goal of the government is to end racial discrimination then the best way to do it is to stop discriminating by race in its own policies.

I said it was goal, not a quota. I think once we stop locking up non-violent and minor criminals, we'll have a lot less people in prison. Minor property crimes should be punishable by restitution, non-residential punishment, and denunciation, not prison.

I said it was goal, not a quota. I think once we stop locking up non-violent and minor criminals, we'll have a lot less people in prison. Minor property crimes should be punishable by restitution, non-residential punishment, and denunciation, not prison.

Ok. Where did you get that number for a "goal". Don't play word games with me. I'll bury you.

Ok. Where did you get that number for a "goal". Don't play word games with me. I'll bury you.

Well, that's how many people the Japanese have imprisoned per their population.

Granted, their prisons are far more harsh, some of the harshest in the developed world. But, really, I'd rather have punishment delt out harsh and swift, than long and drawn out.

How does it not? It's overt goal is to make sure more jobs go to women and non whites.

Could it even function without collecting racial and gender data and discriminating on that basis?

Sorry, my question wasn't rhetorical, I was hoping for an answer that I could work with, you know, think about. I was thinking of affirmative action as a means to an end, not putting it forward as an end in itself.

Well as far as racial discrimination goes, if the goal of the government is to end racial discrimination then the best way to do it is to stop discriminating by race in its own policies.

Fair point - and sorry I missed your post initially - but what if the goal is, say, to promote equality of opportunity (as opposed to the less desirable equality of outcomes)? Would that mean it was okay. As I said in my response to AHZ I'm still thinking of affirmative action as a means to an end. Hey I know I could be dead wrong but I'm just thinking about it as I go along :clink:

Fair point - and sorry I missed your post initially - but what if the goal is, say, to promote equality of opportunity (as opposed to the less desirable equality of outcomes)? Would that mean it was okay. As I said in my response to AHZ I'm still thinking of affirmative action as a means to an end. Hey I know I could be dead wrong but I'm just thinking about it as I go along :clink:

That's reframing the issue and denying what it actually is: racial discrimination. Either racial discrimination is wrong, or it isn't, either white males have the same civil rights as everyone else, or they don't.
if any means are ok, Let's just start executing white males, that will provide more opportunity for non-white, non-males. Is that ok with you?

You need to either examine your ability to think or your moral character.

Back