Most liberal member of JPP

In the thread I posted:

Fair point - and sorry I missed your post initially - but what if the goal is, say, to promote equality of opportunity (as opposed to the less desirable equality of outcomes)? Would that mean it was okay. As I said in my response to AHZ I'm still thinking of affirmative action as a means to an end. Hey I know I could be dead wrong but I'm just thinking about it as I go along

AHZ response: (just trying to keep things tidy)

That's reframing the issue and denying what it actually is: racial discrimination. Either racial discrimination is wrong, or it isn't, either white males have the same civil rights as everyone else, or they don't.
if any means are ok, Let's just start executing white males, that will provide more opportunity for non-white, non-males. Is that ok with you?

You need to either examine your ability to think or your moral character.

I reframed the issue? In other words I dared to take another perspedtive other than the dichotomy that has been presented. Well fuck me for thinking laterally eh? I need to be beaten back so that I follow the one truth path I suppose. Sorry, won't go there. Are Americans so twisted up about race that they can't see that the analysis has to be conducted differently? Tell you what, your choice, Would you like me to take the pot with the frog n it off the stove, turn the heat down or take the frog out? I don't really care which method you approve, I'm just willing to help a frog to live.

If you have difficulties with the frog metaphor let me know.

As to my thinking ability and my moral character, yes, I am troubled by both. I constantly try to improve them but if I fail then I take comfort in the hope that in failing I seek to cause no harm to anyone else but myself.

In the thread I posted:

Fair point - and sorry I missed your post initially - but what if the goal is, say, to promote equality of opportunity (as opposed to the less desirable equality of outcomes)? Would that mean it was okay. As I said in my response to AHZ I'm still thinking of affirmative action as a means to an end. Hey I know I could be dead wrong but I'm just thinking about it as I go along

AHZ response: (just trying to keep things tidy)

I reframed the issue?
Advocates of aa reframe the issue. So I don't blame only you, though you could be more vigilant in your analysis.

In other words I dared to take another perspedtive other than the dichotomy that has been presented.
But taking that 'perspective' does not eliminate the reality of the program. It's racial and gender discrimination.
Well fuck me for thinking laterally eh?
Thinking laterally is not the same as using nice phrases to hide reality.

I need to be beaten back so that I follow the one truth path I suppose.
No. You need to be reminded that labels and nice phrases do not change the reality of how a program is implemented.
Sorry, won't go there. Are Americans so twisted up about race that they can't see that the analysis has to be conducted differently?
If you mean that racial discrimination has to be accepted as a tool of justice, I disagree wholeheartedly.
Tell you what, your choice, Would you like me to take the pot with the frog n it off the stove, turn the heat down or take the frog out? I don't really care which method you approve, I'm just willing to help a frog to live.
But punishing other frogs just because they're a different color than the one frog is not justice.
You're upside down here. You're learning from me.
As to my thinking ability and my moral character, yes, I am troubled by both. I constantly try to improve them but if I fail then I take comfort in the hope that in failing I seek to cause no harm to anyone else but myself.

But if in your malthoughts you espouse racism and sexism, you are harming others.

Sorry, another loooong post.

AHZ:

But taking that 'perspective' does not eliminate the reality of the program. It's racial and gender discrimination.

If there was a monolithic "programme" (sorry, I know I spell some words differently but I'm not trying to be an arsehole/asshole while doing it, it's just I need to adhere to my cultural norms or I feel entirely uncomfortable, sort of non-authentic) then perhaps that would be a valid criticism. I've tried to make the point that "affirmative action" is a public policy tool that is available to be used, it's how it's used and also for what purpose it's used that are the important questions. I mean, it's not Macbeth, we're not going to get all excited about "Is this a dagger which I see before me?" Poor old Macbeth saw a dagger because the solution was murder and as the old saying goes, if the only tool you have is a dagger than the only solution you see is murder. Although I suppose an actor in the play about "the Scottish Lord" would feel a bit of a dill if he was asked to deliver the lines, "Is this a Leatherman Tool which I see before me?" Although I would think the sponsorship angle would be enhanced.

My point, of course, is ..what is to be achieved? And how is it to be achieved? If a good is to be achieved and the policy tool for achieving that good is affirmative action then does that necessarily and universally condemn the policy tool of affirmative action in all instances?

Later in the previous post I exploded with:

Well fuck me for thinking laterally eh? (rude prick I am at times)

AHZ:

Thinking laterally is not the same as using nice phrases to hide reality.

I suppose De Bono is going to sue now. No, I am aware of reality, I mentioned it in this thread. I'm not using nice phrases at all, in fact if prompted I'll be prepared to use some fairly stark phrases when it comes to issue of public policy.

Again in the previous post I snipped:

AHZ responded:

No. You need to be reminded that
labels and nice phrases do not change the reality of how a program is implemented.

Before implementation comes rationale. Policy is "why", procedure is "how". I know you know that but it doesn't hurt to restate it. Affirmative action is one of many tools available to policymakers in determining how to get to a desired policy result. Please see my light-hearted references to daggers and Leatherman Tools.

In the previous banter I said:

Sorry, won't go there. Are Americans so twisted up about race that they can't see that the analysis has to be conducted differently?

And again in the post AHZ asked:
If you mean that racial discrimination has to be accepted as a tool of justice, I disagree wholeheartedly.

No, I didn't mean that. I meant that I was wondering if things are so bad in the States that in the public discourse any reference to race begins to unhinge things.

In the previous point I really stretched a metaphor in saying:

Tell you what, your choice, Would you like me to take the pot with the frog n it off the stove, turn the heat down or take the frog out? I don't really care which method you approve, I'm just willing to help a frog to live.

AHZ:
But punishing other frogs just because they're a different color than the one frog is not justice.

I promise to save all frogs, regardless of colour (get ready for a bout of green-ism).

Me in previous:

AHZ:
You're upside down here. You're learning from me.

I am, it's true (actuall you're on the other side of the planet and my side is upright but never mind). But my point was that I was thinking of a specific reference and sometimes I'm torn between stating it and appearing to be a patronising arsehole because the point is already well known, or not stating it and everyone thinking, "what the fuck was that about, who is this wanker?" But yes, I am learning from you.

AHZ:
But if in your malthoughts you espouse racism and sexism, you are harming others.

One thing I hate being accused of is being patronising. I have a tendency to rush in and want to spray good thoughts and comments around, it's a personal flaw I have worked long and hard to try and stop. I know I'm somewhat bigoted and I don't want to be but fuck it I'm human. I'll admit my prejudices, but not here. I can't help how I feel but I can help how I act. And one of my faults is that I tend to try and make my actions congruent with my feelings and thoughts. The good thing is that over the years of my life I've been able to synchronise them all, well, pretty much anyway and I've got to the point where if I say something which is the sort of glib stuff you'd expect a "liberal" to trot out, I really believe it. I've been working hard on my cognitive dissonance over the years and I think I'm close to the point where I can say I'm an authentic human being. Still got a few bits to sort out but for the most part I'm fairly comfortable with myself.

That's why I can say that affirmative actions isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can say that because I've been through the phase of "affirmative action is just reverse racism and reverse sexism", I really have. But I thought about things long and hard and came up with my own take on it and I'm now satisfied that in examining a policy I don't try and label it, I just look at the ends and I examine the means and work things out for myself.

Dudgeon put aside, interesting discussion.

Sorry, another loooong post.

If there was a monolithic "programme" (sorry, I know I spell some words differently but I'm not trying to be an arsehole/asshole while doing it, it's just I need to adhere to my cultural norms or I feel entirely uncomfortable, sort of non-authentic) then perhaps that would be a valid criticism.
But they all have racial and gender discrimination as the GOAL, as are thus "bad".
I've tried to make the point that "affirmative action" is a public policy tool that is available to be used, it's how it's used and also for what purpose it's used that are the important questions.
That "tool" is actually racial discrimination. I believe racial discrimination is always wrong, even against white males.
I mean, it's not Macbeth, we're not going to get all excited about "Is this a dagger which I see before me?" Poor old Macbeth saw a dagger because the solution was murder and as the old saying goes, if the only tool you have is a dagger than the only solution you see is murder. Although I suppose an actor in the play about "the Scottish Lord" would feel a bit of a dill if he was asked to deliver the lines, "Is this a Leatherman Tool which I see before me?" Although I would think the sponsorship angle would be enhanced.
Your pseudoinellectuality won't hide your glaring flaws this time, bucko.
My point, of course, is ..what is to be achieved?
Ending racial discrimination.
And how is it to be achieved? If a good is to be achieved and the policy tool for achieving that good is affirmative action then does that necessarily and universally condemn the policy tool of affirmative action in all instances?
If the goal is ending racial discrimination, racial discriminaion is hardly the right solution. I don't see how a rational person can believe otherwise.
Later in the previous post I exploded with:

Well fuck me for thinking laterally eh? (rude prick I am at times)

I suppose De Bono is going to sue now. No, I am aware of reality, I mentioned it in this thread. I'm not using nice phrases at all, in fact if prompted I'll be prepared to use some fairly stark phrases when it comes to issue of public policy.
When you frame racial discrimination as a tool of justice that putting a nice phrase on top of a hideous practice.
Again in the previous post I snipped:

Before implementation comes rationale. Policy is "why",
Policy is not why. Policy is how.
procedure is "how".
Same as policy.
I know you know that but it doesn't hurt to restate it.
NO. I disagree with that.
Affirmative action is one of many tools available to policymakers in determining how to get to a desired policy result.
They also have assault rifles. Maybe exectuing white males could be tried, I mean, hey, it's an available tool.
Please see my light-hearted references to daggers and Leatherman Tools.
Saw it. Lame.
In the previous banter I said:

And again in the post AHZ asked:

No, I didn't mean that. I meant that I was wondering if things are so bad in the States that in the public discourse any reference to race begins to unhinge things.
Only when racial discrimination is proferred as the way to defeat racial discrimination.
In the previous point I really stretched a metaphor in saying:

I promise to save all frogs, regardless of colour (get ready for a bout of green-ism).
But you believe denying some frogs their civil rights is an acceptable tool. How's that being an advocate for all frogs?
Me in previous:

I am, it's true (actuall you're on the other side of the planet and my side is upright but never mind). But my point was that I was thinking of a specific reference and sometimes I'm torn between stating it and appearing to be a patronising arsehole because the point is already well known, or not stating it and everyone thinking, "what the fuck was that about, who is this wanker?" But yes, I am learning from you.
Sounds painful.
Then reject racial discrimination. Make it part of you daily self improvement regime. Say to youself every morning "today I will not advocate racial discrimination as a tool of justice".
One thing I hate being accused of is being patronising. I have a tendency to rush in and want to spray good thoughts and comments around, it's a personal flaw I have worked long and hard to try and stop. I know I'm somewhat bigoted and I don't want to be but fuck it I'm human. I'll admit my prejudices, but not here. I can't help how I feel but I can help how I act. And one of my faults is that I tend to try and make my actions congruent with my feelings and thoughts. The good thing is that over the years of my life I've been able to synchronise them all, well, pretty much anyway and I've got to the point where if I say something which is the sort of glib stuff you'd expect a "liberal" to trot out, I really believe it. I've been working hard on my cognitive dissonance over the years and I think I'm close to the point where I can say I'm an authentic human being. Still got a few bits to sort out but for the most part I'm fairly comfortable with myself.
Ok, Stuart Smalley!
stuartSmalley.jpg

That's why I can say that affirmative actions isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Since it's GOAL is racial discrimination, it is necessarily a bad thing, if you do, in fact, believe racial discrimination is wrong, or that all people have the same civil rights.
I can say that because I've been through the phase of "affirmative action is just reverse racism and reverse sexism", I really have. But I thought about things long and hard and came up with my own take on it and I'm now satisfied that in examining a policy I don't try and label it, I just look at the ends and I examine the means and work things out for myself.

Dudgeon put aside, interesting discussion.

Your take sucks. Labels are many times very accurate, hence the popularity of words.

I really think I'm probably the most outright liberal member of JPP. At least socially.

Full legalization of all drugs
The eventual abolishment of prison as a form of punishment... as a transitionary step, trying to only hold violent or fraudulent criminals, with the goal of getting to around 50 prisoners per 100,000 citizen
National healthcare
Replacing the current "copyright" system with another form of compensation for aritsts
Switching to a parliamentary (no more bad presidents for eight years) system with proportional representation (by STV)
National daycare
Gay marriage
Gay's in the military
Recongnition of global warming as a problem, and using any method possible to counteract that
Cutting the military budget in half
Free trade bitches! Goddamit, it depresses me how the left has abandoned that.

Can anyone else compete with that?
You aren't the most liberal, merely the most stupid. A society with no punishment is about as likely as a society with no crime-- i.e., impossible.

Back