My CJ7

Beefy

Worst gambler ever
Just bought this thing. It growls, its beefy, its fun.

Then the U-joint bushing pops.

So no big deal, grab a u-joint and go t put it on, and I notice when the u-joint popped, it bent the straps. No sweat. Go get straps. Go to put the new straps on and realize that when the u-joint popped, it sheared a bolt in the yoke. Too deep to easy-out so I go to take the yoke off to replace. Then I realize that it requires a 1 1/8th standard deep socket to take the bolt off the yoke.

No sweat, I call all over the Island and nobody has the bit. Finally, I find a place that has the bit. So I pull the yoke off and bring it down to Napa.

"I can have this tomorrow" the guy says. Next day I get a call - "Is this front or back end?" I tell him front. "Okay I'll call you tomorrow" he says.

No sweat. Then he calls the next day and says "what's the part number of your transfer case?" I get it and tell him.

Then this fucker evaporates. I haven't heard from him in 3 days.

Jesus.

I loved my CJ, and like my Wrangler even more.

Beefy, there are more Jeep parts online places than you can possibly need. Even with shipping they'll probably be cheaper.

I would imagine the islands are the perfect place to drop the top and go.

LOL who made the engine? Someone different than the transmission? Someone different that the drive axles? How are those leaf springs treating your kidneys? :)

LOL who made the engine? Someone different than the transmission? Someone different that the drive axles? How are those leaf springs treating your kidneys? :)

Neither of my Jeeps have been vehicles for luxurious long trips. But they will go places most others won't, and will maneuver in tighter spots than any serious 4x4 I've driven. Add in that you can take the doors off and drop the top at the beach or on a summer day, and they make a fun ride. I've got over 100,000 miles on my '98 Wrangler. If the weather is bad (like snow or ice) or hunting season is in, there is no better vehicle as far as I am concerned. And no more fun ride at the beach or in the summer.

It matters because of the issue that Beefy is having right now. Since major components are made by different manufacturers, drive line connections become "adapters", and thus these parts become specialty items, especially for older models. So a simple parts look-up becomes an exercise in patience and repeated investigation of connected part numbers for both the owner and the parts supplier.

Having the top down doesn't do you any good if the thing doesn't run.

7700 miles per year. LOL. I drive 20,000.

Congrats. In just one vehicle? I average about 4,500 miles a month. But not in the Jeep.

And I just did a search on 4WD.com, and found a U Joint, Yoke, and tools do the job on a CJ7. Previously when I have had to have them ship me items, I got them in a couple of days. No need to have patience or investigate much. Just a search on teh right website.

Jeep after market suppliers have virtually everything you could ever need available.

It matters because of the issue that Beefy is having right now. Since major components are made by different manufacturers, drive line connections become "adapters", and thus these parts become specialty items, especially for older models. So a simple parts look-up becomes an exercise in patience and repeated investigation of connected part numbers for both the owner and the parts supplier.

Having the top down doesn't do you any good if the thing doesn't run.

So you find parts (not difficult), and either replace them or have them replaced.

Then drop the top and have some fun.

The 20K is in my 4WD vehicle that can go wherever I need it to go.

Again, in order to obtain the correct drive line part for the Jeep, you often must obtain specific part numbers for connected parts, as Beefy has demonstrated. Most often this requires crawling under the vehicle, great knowledge of obscure components, and perhaps advanced disassembly. For mine I need to know make, model, and year, and possibly the VIN.

Yah... I drive just a bit over 35K each year in my vehicle. But then I chose to live where I do. I have no complaints.

That's a lot of miles Damo. I wish I didn't have to drive so much, but at least its mostly highway and relatively void of traffic. I drove back from the mountains last Monday night, two hours, and was really tired of it. But cruise control, a limousine ride and "Classic Vinyl" turned up loud kept me rockin'. :good4u:

The 20K is in my 4WD vehicle that can go wherever I need it to go.

Again, in order to obtain the correct drive line part for the Jeep, you often must obtain specific part numbers for connected parts, as Beefy has demonstrated. Most often this requires crawling under the vehicle, great knowledge of obscure components, and perhaps advanced disassembly. For mine I need to know make, model, and year, and possibly the VIN.

I've never had problems getting parts for mine. And all I have ever had to know was the make, model and year.

Jeeps aren't for everyone. Some people prefer luxury over fun. Its a choice to make.

But acting as though your personal preference is the only "right" choice is simply being an asshole. Oh wait, forgot who I was talking to for a moment.

I didn't say my choice of vehicles was the only right one, just that Jeeps are crap, for the reasons cited.

You are welcome to your opinion. Plenty of Jeep owners think differently.

As I said, they are not for everyone. But they do things no other vehicle does as well (without spending a fortune).

Back