My CJ7

Yah... I drive just a bit over 35K each year in my vehicle. But then I chose to live where I do. I have no complaints.

I live 4 miles from where I work in a very nice suburb of Columbus (Dublin). I literally rode my bicycle nearly as many miles this year as I drove my car commuting to work and on fitness rides. I rode 4000 miles in 2010 and drove a hair over 5000. We have sidewalks here (not to mention many miles of bike/walking trails) so the markets, shopping, parks, restraunts, hospital, golf, (I live near Muirfield village home of the PGA Memorial Tournament) etc, are all within walking distance (i.e. a mile or less). It's nice not to be so dependent on a car. Oh yea....and if I get tired of suburbia the rural countryside starts about a mile west of where I live. Is it spectacular like Colorado? No, but it's very nice and I don't miss the 1,000 miles a week of driving that I used to do.

Last edited:
I live 4 miles from where I work in a very nice suburb of Columbus (Dublin). I literally rode my bicycle nearly as many miles this year as I drove my car commuting to work and on fitness rides. I rode 4000 miles in 2010 and drove a hair over 5000. We have sidewalks here (not to mention many miles of bike/walking trails) so the markets, shopping, parks, restraunts, hospital, golf, (I live near Muirfield village home of the PGA Memorial Tournament) etc, are all within walking distance (i.e. a mile or less). It's nice not to be so dependent on a car. Oh yea....and if I get tired of suburbia the rural countryside starts about a mile west of where I live. Is it spectacular like Colorado? No, but it's very nice and I don't miss the 1,000 miles a week of driving that I used to do.

That sounds pretty good, Mott. There are times I wish I could ride more, but the distances and teh gear I have ruin that. And just because its not spectacular scenery doesn't mean the scenery isn't good for the soul.

That sounds pretty good, Mott. There are times I wish I could ride more, but the distances and teh gear I have ruin that. And just because its not spectacular scenery doesn't mean the scenery isn't good for the soul.
It's actually quite pleaseing here in Central Ohio. Were at the very east end of the corn belt so it's not quite, one corn field after the other, like it is west of where I live. South of where I live there are quite a few river valleys with old growth woods and it's quite nice. Southeast of where I live is piedmont country (Damo's wife went to college in that area I believe, Muskingum) with lots of hills and old growth forest and it's not quite up to Colorodo standards, but it's damned nice by any standards. In Knox county Ohio a college there (Kenyon College) is considered one of the top 10 scenic colleges/universities in the word. It's main student boulevard in the fall can only be described as "spectacular".

Back