My first (and last) 13 hour day

And THAT is why American workers are branded as lazy. Almost everyone I know works a 10-12 hour day without OT. That's what you do when you are concientious and a job needs to be done. When I was working I was always first into my office at about 7.15am and always last to leave at about 7pm and that is how I increased the T/O by 8 times in 5 years. When preparing a tender we might work from 7am til midnight.
Come on, at least TRY to make your economy better.

And THAT is why American workers are branded as lazy. Almost everyone I know works a 10-12 hour day without OT. That's what you do when you are concientious and a job needs to be done. When I was working I was always first into my office at about 7.15am and always last to leave at about 7pm and that is how I increased the T/O by 8 times in 5 years. When preparing a tender we might work from 7am til midnight.
I made $1200 in one day (no lunch break). I'll take that while being branded 'lazy' by a old crusty ex-pat every day. Especially since my normal work week is 60 hours.

You're an idiot.

That it sucked. 9 hours of my day was spent behind a TIG torch.

Don't like it, don't do it. By moaning you show yourself to be a bad employment risk. I, for one, would think twice before employing someone who thinks moaning about their work is worthy of posting on a public forum.
Anyway, do and say what you like, but I do advise you to stop digging.

Don't like it, don't do it. By moaning you show yourself to be a bad employment risk. I, for one, would think twice before employing someone who thinks moaning about their work is worthy of posting on a public forum.
Anyway, do and say what you like, but I do advise you to stop digging.

What? Not bitch about work? Why....that's unAmerican!

And that's why American workers look at other workers around the world as being MORONS. When we work, we damned well expect to get paid for it. Work for free? Fuck that. That's for amatuers.

Probably not, though out of fear of death rather than work ethic.

Not really. There is only one motivating factor in China at present. That's greed.
A Chinese worker riding his bicycle watches a Rolls Royce go past, not with envy, not with hatred but with admiration and the determination to work harder so he, too, can get one. In the UK, I can't speak for the US, the Rolls is, all too often, a symbol of repression and is liable to have a stone scraped along it side should it park in the wrong place.
There lies the difference.
Here the humble waiter is happy to do what he is paid for and more so he can get the opportunity of one day owning his own restaurant. The girl who serves you in a hotel bar is more polite and helpful than her counterparts in the west because she knows that she can progress up the pay scale ladder and one day be well off.
So while American workers think whingeing and moaning about their work is OK and British workers demonstrate their resentment to anyone who dares enter their premises, Asian workers are helping their countries get richer and richer by the day.
Who would you employ? The woman who is up doing her Tai Chi at 5.30 am then comes into the office and is ready to work at 8.30 and goes home when she has completed her work to everyone's satisfaction at 5.30 or 6.30 or 8.30? Or would you employ the fat, tramp stamped, lippy American or Brit who arrives late, spends the first hour doing her make-up and talking to her mates about last nights TV and leaves dead on the whistle having put on her coat and zipped her capacious handbag half way through the afternoon?

Not really. There is only one motivating factor in China at present. That's greed.
A Chinese worker riding his bicycle watches a Rolls Royce go past, not with envy, not with hatred but with admiration and the determination to work harder so he, too, can get one. In the UK, I can't speak for the US, the Rolls is, all too often, a symbol of repression and is liable to have a stone scraped along it side should it park in the wrong place.
There lies the difference.
Here the humble waiter is happy to do what he is paid for and more so he can get the opportunity of one day owning his own restaurant. The girl who serves you in a hotel bar is more polite and helpful than her counterparts in the west because she knows that she can progress up the pay scale ladder and one day be well off.
So while American workers think whingeing and moaning about their work is OK and British workers demonstrate their resentment to anyone who dares enter their premises, Asian workers are helping their countries get richer and richer by the day.
Who would you employ? The woman who is up doing her Tai Chi at 5.30 am then comes into the office and is ready to work at 8.30 and goes home when she has completed her work to everyone's satisfaction at 5.30 or 6.30 or 8.30? Or would you employ the fat, tramp stamped, lippy American or Brit who arrives late, spends the first hour doing her make-up and talking to her mates about last nights TV and leaves dead on the whistle having put on her coat and zipped her capacious handbag half way through the afternoon?

Damned fucking right. The fat, lazy, entitled westerners all looking to the pigs in government to solve our problems, and happily bribing them to mortgage our future so that we all get shit out of thin air, all the while scratching our fat mangy heads as to why we're in such a funk and why the east is doing so well?

100 years ago, Europe was looking over the Atlantic and tripping out on what we were doing - building, posturing, taking ownership of our country, our place in the world. Now, the fat, lazy American elects to biggest blue-sky promising bag of hot air every time, and is disinterested in the monsters growing over the pacific. The American century is a thing of the past, and we only have ourselves to blame for it.

Damned tight lowaicue. Good post. I wonder when it will be obvious enough to our lazy ass public.

Back