Neil deGrasse Tyson: "I am not an atheist!"

What makes you think that was a blind guess?

Children were dead. It was reported. Jones was almost alone (except for the morons who follow him) in saying it was a set-up.

Are you saying that my assessment of the Alex Jones affair is on a par with my assessment of the true nature of the REALITY of existence.?

If that is where we have gotten to...let us stop this discussion here. Obviously this thing means so much to you that...whatever.
blind guess

I had no idea a video of Neil deGrasse Tyson would be so upsetting to you.

It isn't. Can't you debate a point without making it into another childish foot stomping competition?

I thought he made a salient point that the most visible and vocal atheists define themselves by calling religionists idiots

His point was that is how one then defines atheism. Which is where his logic breaks down. Taking the worst behavior and assuming that DEFINES the idea is wrong at all levels.

. I don't see how you can spend three months on this message board and not see that.

I'm guilty myself of creating threads mocking the mental acuity of bible thumpers.

Nor am I. I don't know whom you are talking about.

The Soviets famously mocked the superstition of religion in their quest to build the first society based on the materialism of scientific atheism.

Why do you keep on about mocking religion? I don't mock it. Sure I make some hard points about it occasionally in conversation and debate but as I mentioned numerous times before and you seem to like to lie about:

I actually value a great deal of Christian philosophy. I have almost exclusively Christian friends whom I love and respect.

Are you lying about my position on purpose so that I will get really annoyed and yell at you? Is that your game? Because it won't work. You can lie and lie and lie and lie about me all you like but I'm going to debate the points you raise rather than make it all about you.

Bullshit.

As I said earlier...people who use the word "atheism" as a descriptor, do so because of a belief...just as theists use their various descriptors because of beliefs.

You clearly don't get what I'm talking about. I suggest you take some philosophy classes or some logic classes. Firm up that reasoning ability.

Atheism is based on reason. Theism is more like astrology. The difference between religion and astrology is that the majority of society recognizes astrology for how ridiculous it is, where as the majority of the religious do not. That's why there's no "atheism" equivalent for the astrology. Not believing in astrology is just accepted as rarional and society points and laugh at them.

I wouldn't waste too much time with @Ross Dolan . His primary point is that the lack of belief in God is, itself a "belief". Like saying NOT stamp collecting is a hobby.

Atheism just means that you don’t believe in any gods, not just the God of Christianity. That’s really all that means. Do I think people of all religions are foolish for structuring their lives around God? Yes, But I’m not hostile to Christians at all.

@Cypress really dislikes atheism. He is apparently an agnostic but doesn't like the existence of atheists for some mysterious reason. He will mischaracterize atheists in the most unflattering terms he can muster based on his hatred.

I have tried on many times (MANY) to note that there's a lot of Christian philosophy I value and almost 100% of my friends are Christians whom I love and respect. But he still seems to think I am only interested in attacking and mocking Christianity. That's largely because I will discuss religion and point out the theologically problematic points of it. But I would never want to deconvert someone.

But that doesn't matter. When someone hates atheists as a matter of principle they aren't really interested in reading the details of the debate.

I wouldn't waste too much time with @Ross Dolan . His primary point is that the lack of belief in God is, itself a "belief". Like saying NOT stamp collecting is a hobby.
I am not talking about a lack of belief in God.

I am talking about your belief that there are no gods...or that it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

You know that, but you lack the ethical wherewithal to acknowledge it.

Okay. That's the way it goes in these fora once in a while.

@Cypress really dislikes atheism. He is apparently an agnostic but doesn't like the existence of atheists for some mysterious reason. He will mischaracterize atheists in the most unflattering terms he can muster based on his hatred.

I have tried on many times (MANY) to note that there's a lot of Christian philosophy I value and almost 100% of my friends are Christians whom I love and respect. But he still seems to think I am only interested in attacking and mocking Christianity. That's largely because I will discuss religion and point out the theologically problematic points of it. But I would never want to deconvert someone.

But that doesn't matter. When someone hates atheists as a matter of principle they aren't really interested in reading the details of the debate.
You are full of shit, Ob. It is cute though. Provides laughs.

The definition of religion is.......a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and "faith".

Atheism certainly fits that definition, and many of their adherents are quite zealous about their "FAITH" system.

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins (that the universe and life arose by natural processes);
no life after death; no existence of God. Honest atheists will admit their worldview is a faith. Atheism is a religion!

The definition of religion is.......a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and "faith".

Atheism certainly fits that definition, and many of their adherents are quite zealous about their "FAITH" system.

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins (that the universe and life arose by natural processes);
no life after death; no existence of God. Honest atheists will admit their worldview is a faith. Atheism is a religion!
Atheists are not Christian. You don't have to believe you are not a Christian, you just are not.

It is like calling everyone around the world a New Yorker or non-New Yorker. All about living in New York.
Christians think everyone is in their group or outside it; same way.

Atheists are not Christian. You don't have to believe you are not a Christian, you just are not.
Atheists are not Christian? Well that was quite a bright observation by you. So back to my point here is that ATHEISM is
a religion. Do you disagree with that, and if so, please tell us how atheism isn't a religion.

Back