New atheism

Peter William Atkins sounds like a jerk to me.

He seems to be saying that his belief (guess, opinion, estimation, supposition) is that there are no gods...and that his belief (guess, opinion, estimation, supposition) is somehow "better" than the beliefs (guesses, opinions, estimations, suppositions) of theists.

He also seems to be suggesting that since the universe CAN come into existence without intervention (I also suspect it CAN)...there is no need to invoke the idea of a Supreme Being in one of its numerous manifestations.

Okay...let's grant him that.

BUT what if the universe was the creation of...something?

It can come into existence without intervention, but maybe it did anyway.

Just because it can come into existence without intervention is not a logical reason to say that it didn't.

Anyway...Atkins seems like a jerk to me.
blind guess

Another pointless thread. Gosh, making personal attacks in a debate is bad.
Absolutely nothing to do with atheism or theism. My goodness, try harder.

The term New Atheism describes the positions of some atheist academics, writers, scientists, and philosophers of the 20th and 21st centuries. New Atheism advocates the view that superstition, religion, and irrationalism should not simply be tolerated. Instead, they advocate the antitheist view that the various forms of theism should be criticised, countered, examined, and challenged by rational argument, especially when they exert strong influence on the broader society, such as in government, education, and politics.

Major figures of New Atheism include Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Daniel Dennett, collectively referred to as the "Four Horsemen" of the movement, as well as Ayaan Hirsi Ali, until her conversion to Christianity in 2023.

I have no problem with theism being criticized, challenged, examined or countered by rational arguments. ESPECIALLY, when religious doctrine begins to invade secular policies such as education, foreign policy, health policy. Either should theists.

Peter William Atkins sounds like a jerk to me.

He seems to be saying that his belief (guess, opinion, estimation, supposition) is that there are no gods...and that his belief (guess, opinion, estimation, supposition) is somehow "better" than the beliefs (guesses, opinions, estimations, suppositions) of theists.

He also seems to be suggesting that since the universe CAN come into existence without intervention (I also suspect it CAN)...there is no need to invoke the idea of a Supreme Being in one of its numerous manifestations.

Okay...let's grant him that.

BUT what if the universe was the creation of...something?

It can come into existence without intervention, but maybe it did anyway.

Just because it can come into existence without intervention is not a logical reason to say that it didn't.

Anyway...Atkins seems like a jerk to me.

I don't think we have any explanation at this time for the creation and rational intelligibility of the universe.

Einstein said the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.

I believe it's way too early to claim we know whether the rational intelligibility of the universe is accidental or a random coincidence, or whether it is a signature pointing to a purposeful higher organizing principle.

I have no problem with theism being criticized, challenged, examined or countered by rational arguments. ESPECIALLY, when religious doctrine begins to invade secular policies such as education, foreign policy, health policy. Either should theists.
Yes, I wrote in an earlier post in this thread that it's healthy to question religious orthodoxy.

Yes, I wrote in an earlier post in this thread that it's healthy to question religious orthodoxy.
It’s healthy for reasonable people to question any doctrine. Atheism, agnosticism, theism, secularism.

The key words are “reasonable people”, which seems to be in short supply these days. And by “reasonable people”, I refer to those who have chosen to be at least moderately informed of the position they take, regardless of the particular issue and their side.

The true danger of today’s society is not the lack of information. It’s all right there at our fingertips. The danger is misinformation, malinformation, disinformation and the inability or desire to sort those out from the truth and reality. We constantly see that on this forum alone.

It’s healthy for reasonable people to question any doctrine. Atheism, agnosticism, theism, secularism.

The key words are “reasonable people”, which seems to be in short supply these days. And by “reasonable people”, I refer to those who have chosen to be at least moderately informed of the position they take, regardless of the particular issue and their side.

The true danger of today’s society is not the lack of information. It’s all right there at our fingertips. The danger is misinformation, malinformation, disinformation and the inability or desire to sort those out from the truth and reality. We constantly see that on this forum alone.
We wouldn't have Quakers, the Big Bang theory, or the music of Beethoven if people weren't willing to challenge orthodoxy and convention.

I read an article this morning that one major shift in the culture wars is that white bluecollar men with only a high school education have acquired this virulent resentment of the college educated white collar professionals, the experts, the scientists -- aka anyone who can earn a higher income than them simply by having a piece of paper from a university.

White blue collar men don't feel like good paying Middle class jobs are available to them in any significant quantity, and they tend to feel that the 21st century socioeconomic system is turning them into losers.

We wouldn't have Quakers, the Big Bang theory, or the music of Beethoven if people weren't willing to challenge orthodoxy and convention.

I read an article this morning that one major shift in the culture wars is that white bluecollar men with only a high school education have acquired this virulent resentment of the college educated white collar professionals, the experts, the scientists -- aka anyone who can earn a higher income than them simply by having a piece of paper from a university.

White blue collar men don't feel like good paying Middle class jobs are available to them in any significant quantity, and they tend to feel that the 21st century socioeconomic system is turning them into losers.
The anti-science rhetoric that I’m seeing these days is shocking.

The anti-science rhetoric that I’m seeing these days is shocking.
Three decades of global warming denial is on the cusp of bringing harm to their children and grandchildren. The deep south and the gulf coast are facing the worst consequences of global warming, and those happen to be the places with the densest concentrations of climate deniers.

The term New Atheism describes the positions of some atheist academics, writers, scientists, and philosophers of the 20th and 21st centuries. New Atheism advocates the view that superstition, religion, and irrationalism should not simply be tolerated. Instead, they advocate the antitheist view that the various forms of theism should be criticised, countered, examined, and challenged by rational argument, especially when they exert strong influence on the broader society, such as in government, education, and politics.

Major figures of New Atheism include Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Daniel Dennett, collectively referred to as the "Four Horsemen" of the movement, as well as Ayaan Hirsi Ali, until her conversion to Christianity in 2023.

That is not atheism, Sybil. It's a religion.

Three decades of global warming denial is on the cusp of bringing harm to their children and grandchildren. The deep south and the gulf coast are facing the worst consequences of global warming, and those happen to be the places with the densest concentrations of climate deniers.
The Church of Global Warming is not science, Sybil. It's a religion.
No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth.

My view is that, while I dislike particularly nasty confrontation I figure that after a couple centuries of hellfire and brimstone being spewed out of the pulpits and all the screams about how eeeeeevil atheists are, it is fine that 4 atheists speak up and get a bit mouthy in return.

I honestly don't know why four little voices in a sea of religious intolerance is such a big problem for some people.

Also: PW Atkins had the best p-chem book. I drug mine through all of my career. And "The Periodic Kingdom" was a good book as well.

I don't think there is much to be gained in the grand scheme of things by calling religion evil, and believers idiots. Which is where the New Atheists tend to go.

And it really wasn't great over the last couple millennia for atheists to be demonized from the pulpit.

A literal mountain of religious zealots have murdered and killed those who fail to believe in the same god as they do but the real scandal is when Richard Dawkins calls God a delusion.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Back