New Gun

ib1yysguy

Thinking of buying one of these:

barrett98b.jpg

barrett 98B

Notice the integrated ballistics computer on the Leupold. Shoots a .338 Lapua Magnum over 1000 meters a second with sub MOA accuracy.

Any thoughts? Is there a better choice for a gun chambered in .338 Lapua for long distance competitive shooting?

Thinking of buying one of these:

barrett98b.jpg

barrett 98B

Notice the integrated ballistics computer on the Leupold. Shoots a .338 Lapua Magnum over 1000 meters a second with sub MOA accuracy.

Any thoughts? Is there a better choice for a gun chambered in .338 Lapua for long distance competitive shooting?

Not out of the box, though there are cheaper choices caliber wise for a competition caliber. You'd be looking at around $100 for a box of shells. Even reloading the caliber is expensive. Hell a .50BMG is a lot cheaper and potentially just as accurate.

Not out of the box, though there are cheaper choices caliber wise for a competition caliber. You'd be looking at around $100 for a box of shells. Even reloading the caliber is expensive. Hell a .50BMG is a lot cheaper and potentially just as accurate.

.50 is cheaper than .338? The rifle is going to be larger and my understanding is the rounds have too much energy to be useful for hunting.

.50 is cheaper than .338? The rifle is going to be larger and my understanding is the rounds have too much energy to be useful for hunting.
Well you didn't mention hunting, you mentioned competition, so rifle weight is negligible. But yeah, 50BMG is a lot cheaper. Larger supply, more rifles chambered in it, Etc. All translates into cheaper ammo and components.

But in short, the .338 Lapua is pretty over powered for hunting anything, let alone North America. You'd be best served with a 338WinMag at best.

Long range competitions use very specialized equipment. You are looking at 1,000 yards and sometimes more.

The .50 cal is a better choice unless you have unlimited funds. But none of that is going to be cheap.

ib, have you done any shooting at 300 to 500 yards?

Sweet rifle! I had the opportunity to shoot one last spring. Feels odd to have the weight sitting back, but its an accurate little rifle.

I would love to buy one, but the prices are a little high for such a gun in my book.

It's too high, but I figure it's an investment. And I thought it balanced very well actually, I think I could have shot it one handed (though not with any modicum of accuracy).

Long range competitions use very specialized equipment. You are looking at 1,000 yards and sometimes more.

The .50 cal is a better choice unless you have unlimited funds. But none of that is going to be cheap.

ib, have you done any shooting at 300 to 500 yards?

I've never had a gun that's been accurate enough for anything beyond about 300. The Barrett 98 is specialized for long range shooting. It's accurate out to a mile for a man-sized target. I'm sure I could compete with it after a few years of practice and a few grand in bullets.

Back