New puppy.

One trick that seems to help her learn to let you know whe its time to go out is to hang a bell on the door you use to go outside. Ring it when you take her and in time she will ring it herself.

finding her potty clock quickly will help, but instead of sticking her in the kennel on accidents, take her outside. stay with her, don't leave her alone, but take her outside where she normally goes. that will help associate the want to go outside with the need to go. By doing that, all of mine figured out that by scratching the back door when they needed to go alerted us to open the door. we've only had a few accidents ever since.

We got her at about 9 and a half weeks. We have had her 4 or 5 weeks now. She is NOT fully potty trained yet,....but not being an expert on this stuff I do think she is way ahead of the curve. IMO she should be fully house trained in another 4-6 weeks. And THAT is a good thing as I have understanding,....but low tolerance to accidents. LOL We keep it simple. We let her out in one spot, stay with her....when she does her job we tell her good girl, pet her head, and give her a treat. When she has an accident we pick her up....bring her to it, make her look at it while holding her and pointing at it,...we say NAUGHTY in a stern voice,....then she goes in her portable kennel for a half hour time out. We KNOW this is working because when she does have a slip she feels shame,...that means she knows she did wrong. Those slips are getting fewer and fewer thank goodness. I know that a few of you are old pro's out there....Top and LIG come to mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Awwww, congratulations again.

First, having a trained older dog already puts you ahead of the curve. Another dog is the best trainer/mentor for a puppy. The puppy will watch them and emulate their behavior. Other than that, just continue doing what you're doing. Be consistent, take her out every couple of hours, especially after napping or running around and praise a lot when they go.

Things should be getting better by around 7-8 months but there may be sporadic accidents for maybe up to a year, but she will get it. Just be patient. Again, having a grown dog is a huge huge plus. That is the BEST teacher for your puppy for behavior, potty training, everything.

First, having a trained older dog already puts you ahead of the curve. Another dog is the best trainer/mentor for a puppy. The puppy will watch them and emulate their behavior. Other than that, just continue doing what you're doing. Be consistent, take her out every couple of hours, especially after napping or running around and praise a lot when they go.

Things should be getting better by around 7-8 months but there may be sporadic accidents for maybe up to a year, but she will get it. Just be patient. Again, having a grown dog is a huge huge plus. That is the BEST teacher for your puppy for behavior, potty training, everything.

Thanks!

What I want to know is THIS......What do people do about their carpets? Like I posted earlier,....this is my first time being this involved as my wife trained our other dogs. The thing with me is I am hyper sensitive to dog pee. Kinda funny,...but even if the pup has a minor little accident Im scrubbing that spot like a crazy man. I use THREE different things on 1 little spot because I dont want that getting into the pad. First I soak it up with an old cleaning towel, then hit it with a little baking soda, ....then I hit it with resolve dry foam carpet shampoo, scrub it in then vacuum up,....then I spray the area with Oxy clean pet stain and odor remover. All that and Im still worried because the last thing I want is any of that smell hanging around.

Worst part about it is we just had new carpets put in a year and a half ago when we remodeled. Luckily,...it is only one room where the accidents seem to happen. Good thing they are getting fewer and fewer...Honestly,.....I think were just going to go pick out new carpet for the room in question and have it put in like 3/4 months from now. Not that bad really because once the new carpet we picked out was down we found that we didnt like it anywhere near like we did the sample so it would be a welcome change even without the new dog.

My wife seems to be getting a big kick out of my carpet cleaning binges. She says Ive cleaned more in the last 5 weeks than she ever saw me clean in the last 25 years! She's not wrong! :laugh:

What I want to know is THIS......What do people do about their carpets? Like I posted earlier,....this is my first time being this involved as my wife trained our other dogs. The thing with me is I am hyper sensitive to dog pee. Kinda funny,...but even if the pup has a minor little accident Im scrubbing that spot like a crazy man. I use THREE different things on 1 little spot because I dont want that getting into the pad. First I soak it up with an old cleaning towel, then hit it with a little baking soda, ....then I hit it with resolve dry foam carpet shampoo, scrub it in then vacuum up,....then I spray the area with Oxy clean pet stain and odor remover. All that and Im still worried because the last thing I want is any of that smell hanging around.

Worst part about it is we just had new carpets put in a year and a half ago when we remodeled. Luckily,...it is only one room where the accidents seem to happen. Good thing they are getting fewer and fewer...Honestly,.....I think were just going to go pick out new carpet for the room in question and have it put in like 3/4 months from now. Not that bad really because once the new carpet we picked out was down we found that we didnt like it anywhere near like we did the sample so it would be a welcome change even without the new dog.
Can you close off that area? Anything citrus based helps...

finding her potty clock quickly will help, but instead of sticking her in the kennel on accidents, take her outside. stay with her, don't leave her alone, but take her outside where she normally goes. that will help associate the want to go outside with the need to go. By doing that, all of mine figured out that by scratching the back door when they needed to go alerted us to open the door. we've only had a few accidents ever since.
More good advice...;)

Can you close off that area? Anything citrus based helps...

Cant close it off. Citrus??? Yep......I can try it. It IS getting better and better though. One of us is pretty much here with her all day to let her out in timely fashion. Having said that....she's young so accidents are going to happen. She is super smart though,....catching on good.

ABSOLUTELY....:) I wish there was a paw print emoji around here...lol

Great advice. Pretty much what we are doing.

Cant close it off. Citrus??? Yep......I can try it. It IS getting better and better though. One of us is pretty much here with her all day to let her out in timely fashion. Having said that....she's young so accidents are going to happen. She is super smart though,....catching on good.
OK...she'll learn quickly....
Resolve is good... (I think the product with the citrus is called Angry Orange....Amazon, of course..)
TREATS!!!! I told you, ours still get them...and expect them....lol...Dehydrated sweet potatoes....and now cauliflower, thanks to Hawkeye's tip....

OK...she'll learn quickly....
Resolve is good... (I think the product with the citrus is called Angry Orange....Amazon, of course..)
TREATS!!!! I told you, ours still get them...and expect them....lol...Dehydrated sweet potatoes....and now cauliflower, thanks to Hawkeye's tip....

Yep......we reward with treats all the time. Funny story about that though....... Our older fully trained dog just goes to the door to let us know he needs to go outside to do his job. We let him in...he gets a little treat. But lately, last 6 months or so,..he has taken to FAKING the need to go out,.....just so he can get a TREAT! :laugh: Ive seen him do it...he will go out, look around for a couple seconds, not do anything then RIGHT BACK IN. Then he looks at us and leads us to the treat cannister in the kitchen! :laugh:

Yep......we reward with treats all the time. Funny story about that though....... Our older fully trained dog just goes to the door to let us know he needs to go outside to do his job. We let him in...he gets a little treat. But lately, last 6 months or so,..he has taken to FAKING the need to go out,.....just so he can get a TREAT! :laugh: Ive seen him do it...he will go out, look around for a couple seconds, not do anything then RIGHT BACK IN. Then he looks at us and leads us to the treat canister in the kitchen! :laugh:
They're so smart that way...that's why we had to go to the "healthier" snacks...lol

We got her at about 9 and a half weeks. We have had her 4 or 5 weeks now. She is NOT fully potty trained yet,....but not being an expert on this stuff I do think she is way ahead of the curve. IMO she should be fully house trained in another 4-6 weeks. And THAT is a good thing as I have understanding,....but low tolerance to accidents. LOL We keep it simple. We let her out in one spot, stay with her....when she does her job we tell her good girl, pet her head, and give her a treat. When she has an accident we pick her up....bring her to it, make her look at it while holding her and pointing at it,...we say NAUGHTY in a stern voice,....then she goes in her portable kennel for a half hour time out. We KNOW this is working because when she does have a slip she feels shame,...that means she knows she did wrong. Those slips are getting fewer and fewer thank goodness. I know that a few of you are old pro's out there....Top and LIG come to mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What breed is she?

What breed is she?

Humane society dog,....mixed breed. Looks to have a lot of pit in her though. Huge paws for a puppy. She is cinnamon colored with white on the under part of her neck chest and belly. Also has a tiny white patch about the size of a quarter on the top of her neck between her back and head. Absolutely beautiful looking dog IMO. And light green eyes.

She came from a big litter too. All healthy, all lived. There were 9 of them. The pregnant mother was abandoned and ended up at the shelter and she had the pups there.

I built a 70 foot fence in my back yard a couple years ago out of treated lumber and cedar. The posts go almost 4 feet underground and are encased in concrete. I build to last. Now with the new pup I built another 16 foot section with a lockable door and next weekend another 20 foot section and door. This way when she is a little older we can just let them out to play and they will have lots of running room and we wont have to stay the whole time if we dont want to. Be glad when its done though.

I built a 70 foot fence in my back yard a couple years ago out of treated lumber and cedar. The posts go almost 4 feet underground and are encased in concrete. I build to last. Now with the new pup I built another 16 foot section with a lockable door and next weekend another 20 foot section and door. This way when she is a little older we can just let them out to play and they will have lots of running room and we wont have to stay the whole time if we dont want to. Be glad when its done though.
Nice!

Great advice. We are already pretty much doing everything you said accept the bell on the door. That sounds like a REALLY good idea. I think we are going to try that. Sure cant hurt.

OK good. Full disclosure the bell trick did not work with my dog but she was very good about walking to the door and luckily she was usually seen doing so the way the house was laid out.

But the bell HAS worked for lots of other people I know so fingers crossed !

Humane society dog,....mixed breed. Looks to have a lot of pit in her though. Huge paws for a puppy. She is cinnamon colored with white on the under part of her neck chest and belly. Also has a tiny white patch about the size of a quarter on the top of her neck between her back and head. Absolutely beautiful looking dog IMO. And light green eyes.

Thank you for rescuing a dog. Puppies, kittens, and babies you have to love them all.

Back