New puppy.

I built a 70 foot fence in my back yard a couple years ago out of treated lumber and cedar. The posts go almost 4 feet underground and are encased in concrete. I build to last. Now with the new pup I built another 16 foot section with a lockable door and next weekend another 20 foot section and door. This way when she is a little older we can just let them out to play and they will have lots of running room and we wont have to stay the whole time if we dont want to. Be glad when its done though.

One of the houses we first bought in WA had a large, fenced yard. When I started replacing rotting fence posts I noticed that the ground, in areas was full of rip/rap or small stones.

So it wasn't hard to figure out what happened. The previous owners dog had dug under the fence in several areas and to try to prevent it from happening, they had filled the holes the doggy made with rocks to make it harder for it to do it again. It was a pain in the ass to dig all that sht up, but it still cracked me up.

What I want to know is THIS......What do people do about their carpets? Like I posted earlier,....this is my first time being this involved as my wife trained our other dogs. The thing with me is I am hyper sensitive to dog pee. Kinda funny,...but even if the pup has a minor little accident Im scrubbing that spot like a crazy man. I use THREE different things on 1 little spot because I dont want that getting into the pad. First I soak it up with an old cleaning towel, then hit it with a little baking soda, ....then I hit it with resolve dry foam carpet shampoo, scrub it in then vacuum up,....then I spray the area with Oxy clean pet stain and odor remover. All that and Im still worried because the last thing I want is any of that smell hanging around.

Worst part about it is we just had new carpets put in a year and a half ago when we remodeled. Luckily,...it is only one room where the accidents seem to happen. Good thing they are getting fewer and fewer...Honestly,.....I think were just going to go pick out new carpet for the room in question and have it put in like 3/4 months from now. Not that bad really because once the new carpet we picked out was down we found that we didnt like it anywhere near like we did the sample so it would be a welcome change even without the new dog.

there are cleaners/deodorizer products at the pet stores that do a good job.

we would hit with paper towels to absorb then use the aforementioned product. Seemed to work pretty well. The missus was the better gauge as my allergies leave me with an impaired sense of smell.

I built a 70 foot fence in my back yard a couple years ago out of treated lumber and cedar. The posts go almost 4 feet underground and are encased in concrete. I build to last. Now with the new pup I built another 16 foot section with a lockable door and next weekend another 20 foot section and door. This way when she is a little older we can just let them out to play and they will have lots of running room and we wont have to stay the whole time if we dont want to. Be glad when its done though.

Fenced in yard sure makes life easier with dogs.

The only thing that sucks is I managed to hide my carpenter skills from my wife for YEARS. Then when I built that first section a couple years back she was like....AAAAAAAAA HAAA! The secret is out! ended up doing most of the remodel myself in here too. I was CAUGHT red handed! :laugh:

Yep......we reward with treats all the time. Funny story about that though....... Our older fully trained dog just goes to the door to let us know he needs to go outside to do his job. We let him in...he gets a little treat. But lately, last 6 months or so,..he has taken to FAKING the need to go out,.....just so he can get a TREAT! :laugh: Ive seen him do it...he will go out, look around for a couple seconds, not do anything then RIGHT BACK IN. Then he looks at us and leads us to the treat cannister in the kitchen! :laugh:

HAHAHAHAHA yeah gotta be careful as dogs will connect more dots than you planned on !

Our dogs would get a special treat on Saturday nights after dinner. They elected my dog (Dixie the mastiff mix) to represent them when they got concerned that perhaps I'd forgotten.

They also got their dinner at a particular time and they would do the same thing. When they were early (impatient) I would just point to the clock and Dixie would know that it was not time. When we were actually late she would LOOK at the clock then at me or the missus.

Gotta love um !

HAHAHAHAHA yeah gotta be careful as dogs will connect more dots than you planned on !

Our dogs would get a special treat on Saturday nights after dinner. They elected my dog (Dixie the mastiff mix) to represent them when they got concerned that perhaps I'd forgotten.

They also got their dinner at a particular time and they would do the same thing. When they were early (impatient) I would just point to the clock and Dixie would know that it was not time. When we were actually late she would LOOK at the clock then at me or the missus.

Gotta love um !

Yep....Dogs are smart. And damned cagey too! :laugh:

Hope I dont get the neighbor guys in my neighborhood in trouble again. :) When I built the first section a couple years back it was only a month or so and the house across the street put one up that looked like mine, and the house two doors down did too! :laugh: You have to put the decorative tops on top of the posts,....thats what really sets it off and makes it look nice.

Back