Nk Threatens War

talk doesn't work. That is exactly what Bush has been doing. what else can he do but invade? Are you guys suggesting he should invade? Diplomacy is not working, talk has gotten us no where. Working with the UN has done nothing, working with the regional powers has failed. All talk and what do we have?...................BOOM!

Grab that lead with both hands. Take it from the person who is supposedly doing it so poorly, do something other than simply say, "Now what do we do, fearless leader?"

No-one is stating that. It is all-hands-to-the-pumps, all are pressuring China.

We are just wondering what the self declared 'leader' will do, and if he has the ability to do anything.

Once again. You'd be the simpering fool on the sideline at work (using your own analogy) pointing and saying, "You are driving the company into the ground!" but unwilling to take point yourself.

Sigh. Bush declared himself lead. The EU is pressuring China, you are trying to deflect the issue by asking why others aren't taking a lead that Bush loudly declared was his.

That's pretty sad.

So take it from him. What part of this are you having trouble with? Instead of pretending there is no other option than to let Bush have his way, DO Something!

talk doesn't work. That is exactly what Bush has been doing.

Talk works, you just have to say the right words. The problem might be that it was the Bush admin doing the talking.

They made it clear to every rogue state on Earth that if you don't go nuclear you are very likely to be attacked.

Grab that lead with both hands. Take it from the person who is supposedly doing it so poorly, do something other than simply say, "Now what do we do, fearless leader?"

No-one is stating that. It is all-hands-to-the-pumps, all are pressuring China.

We are just wondering what the self declared 'leader' will do, and if he has the ability to do anything.
Already answered. Bush has the leverage by the plain fact that over 50% of their export comes here. If that is the tact that is necessary to be taken.

Pressuring China is just following more of that lead...

Step up, take point. But don't pretend that somebody else's leadership is the only option.

Once again. You'd be the simpering fool on the sideline at work (using your own analogy) pointing and saying, "You are driving the company into the ground!" but unwilling to take point yourself.

Sigh. Bush declared himself lead. The EU is pressuring China, you are trying to deflect the issue by asking why others aren't taking a lead that Bush loudly declared was his.

That's pretty sad.
I'm inclined to agree. I'm still unclear on just what "taking the lead" would entail here, but my impression is that it means talking first and loudest. That would be Dubya (by proxie, of course). Ain't nobody going to posture before he does.

A more productive question might be: who do you think isn't doing what they should? The obvious answer is China, of course, but that's a bit unreasonable, IMHO. They're probably scrambling to sort out just what their own interests are at this juncture. They were almost blindsided, I think.

Bear in mind that I'm . . . extremely critical of the PRC government in my personal life. So much so that I don't ordinarily discuss Chinese politics online.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm still unclear on just what "taking the lead" would entail here, but my impression is that it means talking first and loudest. That would be Dubya (by proxie, of course). Ain't nobody going to posture before he does.

A more productive question might be: who do you think isn't doing what they should? The obvious answer is China, of course, but that's a bit unreasonable, IMHO. They're probably scrambling to sort out just what their own interests are at this juncture. They were almost blindsided, I think.

Bear in mind that I'm . . . extremely critical of the PRC government in my personal life. So much so that I don't ordinarily discuss Chinese politics online.
I agree wholeheartedly with the PRC assessment. I don't really know of any Buddhist who doesn't.

a couple of nukes would indeed solve the problem. Maybe it should be considered. show NK what a real nuke is suppose to do. LOL

Incinerating millions of people and reducing them to ash is nothing to laugh at.

I don't think there is any good option at this point.

a couple of nukes would indeed solve the problem. Maybe it should be considered. show NK what a real nuke is suppose to do. LOL

Rogue nation threatening to use nuclear weapons....

You make the US sound like NK....

Already answered. Bush has the leverage by the plain fact that over 50% of their export comes here. If that is the tact that is necessary to be taken.

I don't think China's exports to the US will have that much influence.

The EU imports $4000m more from China than the US (2005 figures - EU $137,997.910m - US $133,673.497) and that doesn't give it priviledged access to China.

What else does Bush have in his armoury?

I don't think China's exports to the US will have that much influence.

The EU imports $4000m more from China than the US (2005 figures - EU $137,997.910m - US $133,673.497) and that doesn't give it priviledged access to China.

What else does Bush have in his armoury?
Our exports to China. Counting the EU as one nation, I guess it is more. However as a single nation nobody takes more from China than the US. Pretending that there is no leverage there is pretense.

Counting the EU as one nation, I guess it is more. However as a single nation nobody takes more from China than the US. Pretending that there is no leverage there is pretense.

The US is a federal union of states, the EU is a federal(ish) union of states.

Roughly the same population, economy size and land mass size

Counting the EU as one nation, I guess it is more. However as a single nation nobody takes more from China than the US. Pretending that there is no leverage there is pretense.

The US is a federal union of states, the EU is a federal(ish) union of states.

Roughly the same population, economy size and land mass size
As I said, counting it as one nation... That's all good. It still doesn't change that there is massive leverage there if we are willing to use it.

Life Imitates 'Team America'

Hans Blix: "I'm sorry, but the U.N. must be firm with you. Let me see your whole palace, or else."
Kim Jong Il: "Or else what?"
Blix: "Or else we will be very, very angry with you, and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are."--dialogue from "Team America: World Police" (2004)

Back