Not Clear?

The Speaker of the House is next in line. Who do you think is third in line for the Presidency?
Well, I answered that above. Simply the idea that they wouldn't replace a VP with a new nominee is wishful thinking. If they felt this was coming they'd likely do it before it even got to that point.

Well, I answered that above. Simply the idea that they wouldn't replace a VP with a new nominee is wishful thinking. If they felt this was coming they'd likely do it before it even got to that point.

I think that both you and SF are right about this, as far as it goes...I also think that if you impeached both of them over this war, the next President, no matter who it is, is going to get the message and get out.

Then he wouldn't go to jail. I don't think a pardon could affect an impeachment.
She's right. However conviction would be unlikely. Much like they don't have the votes to override a veto they don't have the votes to convict.

Impeachment isn't a criminal trial such as that. If he were impeached by Congress the Trial would still go on in the Senate. It is exempted.

I thought it would be. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. Of course, plenty of things that go on in DC make no sense.

She's right. However conviction would be unlikely. Much like they don't have the votes to override a veto they don't have the votes to convict.

Agreed. That's why I wrote in my original post, the following:

"That is a moral decision this country must make. They want the war done with, what are they willing to DO ABOUT IT. Because sitting around bullshitting in your living room...pretty much meaningless. "

I am talking about the people, not Congress. What are the people going to do about it, other than a lot of talking? Because if the people want impeachment, well, then you are going to see some votes starting to come in for it.

I think they would equally want to impeach people who say the war is "lost" (Harry Reid) yet still want to fund anything other than a return.

There would be no moral justification for even continuing the war as long as they were saying it should be when we have already "lost" the war in Iraq.

I think they would equally want to impeach people who say the war is "lost" (Harry Reid) yet still want to fund anything other than a return.

There would be no moral justification for even continuing the war as long as they were saying it should be when we have already "lost" the war in Iraq.

If the war was ended, no one would be in the position of having to decide whether or not to fund it. I think it would end upon impeachment.

I thought a crime had to have been alleged to have been committed. Ie clowtoon lying under oath, to be impeached. Do you mean impeachment is basically just a no confidence vote ?

I thought a crime had to have been alleged to have been committed. Ie clowtoon lying under oath, to be impeached. Do you mean impeachment is basically just a no confidence vote ?
Not really, impeachment is fundamentally a political thing. The worst "punishment" they can mete out would be removal from office. After that if a crime was committed they could be prosecuted for that crime. (Once again, specifically exempted in the constitution from Double Jeopardy).

Not really, it does set off a Trial in the Senate. Costly, wasteful trials like Clinton's.

Not really, it does set off a Trial in the Senate. Costly, wasteful trials like Clinton's.

Did the Senate trial cost anything? I know the endless investigations into the blow job, and who was where when it happened, and how they were positioned, and whether or not there was any dirty talking involved, cost millions, but the Senate trial?

Even if so, costly ok, but always wasteful? Is there never a good reason for impeachment?

Did the Senate trial cost anything? I know the endless investigations into the blow job, and who was where when it happened, and how they were positioned, and whether or not there was any dirty talking involved, cost millions, but the Senate trial?

Even if so, costly ok, but always wasteful? Is there never a good reason for impeachment?
Of course it costs something. They do get paid to waste their time there, and they get overtime above their salaries, they just have to file paperwork for it. Trials always come at a cost, and one involving a jury of 100 Senators is not cheap.

I didn't say "always" wasteful. However, in every case in the past so far they have been.

Back