Our individual police records

Sorry to start a new thread on a discussion being had in another thread but I was hoping maybe someone who knows the answer and didn't see the other thread could answer this.

Let's say I have been convicted of no crimes but have been charged with illegal drug possession at some point and the charges eventually got dropped. Do I have a clean record? If a cop asks me if I have a record do I have to tell him I've been charged with something in the past even if I am not convicted of it?

Fat chance....sorry .....the law never forgets.

I think it depends on the question being asked. Do you have a record if you were charged but not convicted? No. Have you ever been arrested? Yes. Have you ever been charged with a crime? Yes. Those are three different questions that may be asked, for example, on applications for employment or college and you have to look at what exactly the person is asking you. And if you're not sure what exactly is being asked, err on the side of disclosure.

I'm going to throw Superfreak a major softball here. I got arrested in college for counterfeit money. Some jack*ss in my fraternity paid me back with a counterfeit $100 bill. I had no clue. I went to the bank to deposit it and ended up perp walking out of Wells Fargo Bank. Spent a night in the slammer until some FBI tough guy started drilling me in this small concrete room. I tried for about a minute with the 'i'm not going to snitch' mindset then realized fvck that the guy who gave this to me is an asshole. He's Chinese and as it turned out and was part of a major Asian/U.S. counterfeit ring. Eventually when they realized I had nothing to do with they let me go and didn't charge me with anything. I'm not sure whatever happen to the dipsh*t even though he left our fraternity and I think school. I've never been so scared in my life. I thought for sure he was coming after me.

So I guess I say I've been arrested if asked even 20 years later.

Sorry to start a new thread on a discussion being had in another thread but I was hoping maybe someone who knows the answer and didn't see the other thread could answer this.

Let's say I have been convicted of no crimes but have been charged with illegal drug possession at some point and the charges eventually got dropped. Do I have a clean record? If a cop asks me if I have a record do I have to tell him I've been charged with something in the past even if I am not convicted of it?

This is a complicated question. At that point Id say you have an arrest record but not a criminal record. Technically you are innocent until proven guilty and the court system is required to treat you as such so the arrest cant be used against you in any formal way. A judge cant say, well you were arrested three times for DUI and got away with it, so this time I am going to treat you more harshly. Private citizens however may be legally allowed to use such a record against you, (I don't believe they should). Additionally the police will generally have access to your arrest record if they have an encounter with you and I guarantee they will treat you differently, even if they wont admit it.

In Florida, you can have an arrest expunged, but only once in your life and only if you were not adjudicated guilty of the crime. The process takes about a year and requires submitting your fingerprints to the FDLE, who shares with the FBI, it also requires a judges approval. Even if expunged, the FBI, NSA and Armed Forces has access to your arrest record.

If you are arrested in Florida, even if not convicted, your face will show up on MugShots.com, unless you have a good attorney like myself who sometimes can wrangle them into taking your photo down, I generally charge $2,000 if I am successful.

I got into a bar fight while underage and carrying a fake ID (real ID of another person) which I presented to the police responding to the scene as me, which I got away with until I saw that guy that hit me getting arrested and blew him kisses as I walked away, which displeased the cops so they arrested me and upon an inventory of my belongings found my actual, real ID, which got me all sorts of lovely charges. College, man. College.

BUT, I'll have you know that I have no record.

Also, too, I have since reformed my ways.

Also, too, again, LOL at cawacko.

You will always have an arrest record. It is almost impossible to get your arrest record expunged. NCIC keeps records of all arrests. Remember there are some pretty shady people out that that have been arrested repeatedly but never convicted. Law enforcement wants to know that sort of thing. The US government wants to know that sort of thing when they start handing out clearances. But no conviction means you have no criminal record.

You will always have an arrest record. It is almost impossible to get your arrest record expunged. NCIC keeps records of all arrests. Remember there are some pretty shady people out that that have been arrested repeatedly but never convicted. Law enforcement wants to know that sort of thing. The US government wants to know that sort of thing when they start handing out clearances. But no conviction means you have no criminal record.

You can expunge an arrest record from view by the general public.

So, how do you answer the police question? Do you have a clean record? Not criminal, but clean?

i am tempted to find out the most often used name in the u s and change my name to that name...

correct me if i am wrong, but you can use any name you want as long as you are not using i for unlawful purposes. i am not talking about a legal name change, just changing the name i use for my identification

i am tempted to find out the most often used name in the u s and change my name to that name...

correct me if i am wrong, but you can use any name you want as long as you are not using i for unlawful purposes. i am not talking about a legal name change, just changing the name i use for my identification
Correct. If you have no unlawful reason for calling yourself Orenthal James Simpson you can, without legally changing your name.

Correct. If you have no unlawful reason for calling yourself Orenthal James Simpson you can, without legally changing your name.

Exactly. Dungheap ain't just my JPP handle! You should see the looks I get from the barristas, but I love hearing them call it out: DUNGHEAP! Grande skinny low foam extra hot eight pump caramel soy latte in a Venti cup for DUNGHEAP!

I'm going to throw Superfreak a major softball here. I got arrested in college for counterfeit money. Some jack*ss in my fraternity paid me back with a counterfeit $100 bill. I had no clue. I went to the bank to deposit it and ended up perp walking out of Wells Fargo Bank. Spent a night in the slammer until some FBI tough guy started drilling me in this small concrete room. I tried for about a minute with the 'i'm not going to snitch' mindset then realized fvck that the guy who gave this to me is an asshole. He's Chinese and as it turned out and was part of a major Asian/U.S. counterfeit ring. Eventually when they realized I had nothing to do with they let me go and didn't charge me with anything. I'm not sure whatever happen to the dipsh*t even though he left our fraternity and I think school. I've never been so scared in my life. I thought for sure he was coming after me.

So I guess I say I've been arrested if asked even 20 years later.

OMG Cawacko you have to write a book about your life. I can't believe the stuff that happens to you. I'm picturing this young, clean-cut college boy innocently taking his money to the bank when all at once, boom! You just can't make up this stuff.

I'm sorry but I laughed while I was reading your post. Mea culpa.

Back