Perseid meteor shower peaks this weekend

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
The 2023 Perseid meteor shower peaks this weekend
Here's what you need to know.

The Perseid meteor shower will peak this weekend as Earth makes a yearly dive through debris left behind by a Comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle.

The peak activity of the Perseid meteor shower will occur around 04:00 EDT (0800 GMT) on Sunday. Aug. 13.

The Perseids are a yearly highlight for meteor hunters who, in the right conditions, could see as many as 100 fireballs and light trails per hour from the meteor shower, according to the Royal Museums Greenwich, with even more potentially visible at the shower's peak.

https://www.space.com/perseid-meteor-shower-2023-peak-this-weekend-aug-12-what-to-know

Great date night. I think we will hang out on the beach Saturday night to witness the festivities.

Another problem I have is light pollution to the East, which should be where most are coming from.

It's pretty easy to get away from light pollution here and find a dark beach, hilltop, or bluff.

Best night sky I have ever seen: ten thousand feet elevation in the high Sierra Nevada.

I've seen a few in my lifetime, they are definitely interesting to watch.

Reminds me of watching a storm for the big lightning strikes.

Never know when the next one will appear.

I recall a meteor shower I just happened to witness once back in the 90's.

I don't know if it was one of the two annual showers or an anomaly, but it took place in the early evening around dusk and I've never seen another one like it since.

They were coming in so low, you could hear the bigger ones hissing.

Very bright and impossible to miss.

I had been out jogging around a local lake and was cooling down, walking it off.

Stopped and just watched them for awhile.

I recall a meteor shower I just happened to witness once back in the 90's.

I don't know if it was one of the two annual showers or an anomaly, but it took place in the early evening around dusk and I've never seen another one like it since.

They were coming in so low, you could hear the bigger ones hissing.

Very bright and impossible to miss.

I had been out jogging around a local lake and was cooling down, walking it off.

Stopped and just watched them for awhile.

I still remember the August meteor shower I watched camping on the Klamath River in the northern California wilderness, while keeping my peripheral vision active for a potential Sasquatch attack.

We don't need meteor showers.

We need a massive asteroid to put us out of our misery.

I sometimes feel the same way.

But then, all the innocent critters and beautiful nature would be destroyed too.

The Earth just needs something that will only wipe out humans.

But then, all the innocent critters and beautiful nature would be destroyed too.

Kill all the innocent humans? Here's my solution; a virus that is 98% fatal except for the vaccinated. That'll get rid of all the dumbasses.

We are the only life in the history of the Earth, the history of the solar system, possibly the galaxy that has ever transcended our base instincts to ask abstract questions about creation, time, matter, energy, and the meaning of life itself. Despite our litany of crimes, that itself justifies humanity. It's hard to fathom why an organizing principle and a mathmatical scaffolding were hung on the backbone of reality and no sentient conciousness was ever supposed to percieve it.

Einstein once said that the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.

We are the only life in the history of the Earth, the history of the solar system, possibly the galaxy that has ever transcended our base instincts to ask abstract questions about creation, time, matter, energy, and the meaning of life itself.

I am curious why an avowed "agnostic" would enjoy making completely unsubstantiated ex cathedra positive claims without any evidence whatsoever. Even most hardened atheists don't make universal negative claims like that.

For all we know dolphins and whales could be doing that very thing.

I am curious why an avowed "agnostic" would enjoy making completely unsubstantiated ex cathedra positive claims without any evidence whatsoever. Even most hardened atheists don't make universal negative claims like that.

For all we know dolphins and whales could be doing that very thing.

How do they store the history of their ponderings?

We would need that for confirmation

Until then it’s not history

I’ll be a couple days late, but on Tuesday I’m heading to Joseph, OR for a few days. In the Wallowa Mountains. I expect a very clear view up there.

Back