Pokemon Go

13707663_10210558961679020_2196480171318366485_n.jpg

Distracted teen bitten by snake while playing 'Pokemon Go'

An 18-year-old in North Texas was rushed to the hospital this week after he failed to notice a snake and was bitten while playing "Pokemon Go."

"The first thing I did was text my friends," Lane Smith said, laughing, in an interview with Medical Center of Lewisville personnel.

According to the medical center, Smith and a friend were playing "Pokemon Go" on Tuesday night in Flower Mound, Texas, when his friend noticed a "stick" moving in their path.

The stick turned out to be a small brown snake. Hospital officials suspect it was a venomous copperhead.

Smith, focused on his cellphone instead of his destination, didn't notice as the snake wrapped itself around his foot. It bit his toe and within minutes, his foot began to swell.

"Snake bites can produce an array of symptoms, including pain and swelling, nausea, convulsions and even paralysis," said Dr. James Doyle, emergency medical director for the Medical Center of Lewsiville. "Quick treatment is essential for the best outcome."

Smith felt pain spreading up to his thigh and his parents rushed him to Flower Mound Emergency Center, a department of Medical Center of Lewisville, according to hospital officials.

He was assessed and treated before medics took him by ambulance to the main hospital to determine whether he needed antivenin. He did not and doctors said he was released within 24 hours.

He's recovering at home.

Despite the accident, Smith told medical center personnel that he'll continue to play "Pokemon Go." He and doctors shared the following advice for players:
•When traveling as part of the game, always go with a friend or group, never alone.
•Don't go out at night when visibility is low – stay in well-lit, populated areas.
•Be cautious in grassy or wooded areas – day or night.
•Wear appropriate clothing, including closed-toe shoes.
•Don't play in streets or when driving a car.
•Be aware of your surroundings. The app will buzz your phone to alert you when a Pokemon is near, so you can watch where you are walking.

Driver rescued from fiery crash by man playing 'Pokemon Go'

One of three people who came to the rescue of a driver after witnessing a fiery, late night crash in Pennsylvania is crediting the game "Pokemon Go" with putting him in the right place at the right time.

Tom Borza told WPXI that he was playing the cellphone game when he heard the crash on Gibsonia Road in West Deer Township around 10:45 p.m. A car went over a hillside and into a creek before it caught fire.

Borza and two others jumped into action. Another one of the rescuers, Wayne White, grabbed a pair of fire extinguishers from his car in an attempt to put out the flames.

"I had no chance of putting the fire out with this, but it knocked it down enough to where we could get close to the car," White said.

Borza said he and the other two rescuers were worried that the car would explode.

"You don't really think of your own safety," White said. "It's the spur of the moment."

Still, the trio worked to get the driver out of the car.

"I ran up and opened the door. This square block of black smoke came out," Borza said. "(The driver) was dead weight so I grabbed his belt and ripped him out."

The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment, where he was last listed in fair condition.

Police did not provide any further details on the crash.

Florida man shoots at 'Pokemon Go' players

A man shot at two teens who were playing "Pokemon Go" Saturday in Palm Coast, deputies said.

Flagler County deputies said that around 1:30 a.m., a man heard a loud noise outside his home, leading him to grab a handgun and walk outside.

A car was parked in front of his home, the man said, and he heard someone in the car say, "Did you get anything?"

The homeowner said that he stepped out in front of the car, which then accelerated toward him, and he fired several shots.

Deputies investigated the incident early Saturday, but were unable to find the car - until they received a call around 10:30 a.m. from the car’s owner.

The owner of the car said her 19-year-old son and his friend were playing "Pokemon Go" when a man confronted them and fired several shots.

The mother said the teens didn’t tell her about the incident until they noticed bullet holes in one of the rear tires.

Deputies say the investigation is ongoing.

I hear the libs & the ALCU are going to try & push a bill requiring ppl to be @ least 18 to play & also require a permit (about $25) to play the game..

This will insure/pay for safe zones where no poke's are allowed & free healthcare for any sore or injured...:dunno:

I hear the libs & the ALCU are going to try & push a bill requiring ppl to be @ least 18 to play & also require a permit (about $25) to play the game..

This will insure/pay for safe zones where no poke's are allowed & free healthcare for any sore or injured...:dunno:

They probably also push for free health care for Pokémon that are injured in battles. :palm:

Back