Preparing for college.

If you're going to party, do it early on and get it out of your system. It's inevitable that you will at some point in your life, better learn how to handle it now. Also, take classes you like, not just classes you need. Never know where they'll lead you.

i felt bad reading OP cause I knew 95% of the advice in this thread would be terrible or non-existent.

OP, just relax. Meet people, try to do new things and break routine occasionally. You'll be fine, it's just life, you are programmed to figure it out.

Howey:
Calling your husband a "bitch" is not the way to promote bliss within the family.

I've called him much worse. But the bitch I was talking about is the expanded use of computers for everything in college now, from administrative matters to financial to testing. He's not familiar with computers, scared of them, and having to prepare and draft papers with PowerPoint and Word is daunting. He barely made it through Eng comp this semester, but did good in Algebra and Psych.

He's going to take some computer classes in the fall.

So I've been asking around - family, friends, teachers, the like -, and I figure you lovely people could help me as well.

I'm about to graduate high school and will be moving off to college in the fall. What were your experiences starting off? And is there anything you wish you knew/had beforehand?

Cheers.

Thank_you_for_the_1M_by_Mikeinel.gif

Get a prescription for some amphetamines, prepare to suffer, prepare to be cold and lonely and to have no friends. It will all be worth it, though, in 6 years when you have that glorious feeling of being slightly above mediocrity.

Get a prescription for some amphetamines, prepare to suffer, prepare to be cold and lonely and to have no friends. It will all be worth it, though, in 6 years when you have that glorious feeling of being slightly above mediocrity.

But maybe the poster doesn't want to be a liberal. :)

Advice? Take it seriously and party in moderation. Don't overload your courses so that you have no time to enjoy life, but don't slack off. Take some classes that have nothing to do withyour major but which will give you knowledge in an area you enjoy.

Balance is the key.

Take Ancient Greek, Mandarin Chinese, modern Chinese history, Soviet history, imperial Chinese history, and classical Greco-Roman history.

Exactly right!

And if he doesn't spend time on message boards, how would he know that there are absolutely no responsible gun owners, that a toy gun is not a toy gun unless it is a toy gun, or that every remark against Obama is, by definition, racism?

Every remark against obama is racism, by definition! :mad:

Stop filling their mind with nonsense.

If you're going to party, do it early on and get it out of your system. It's inevitable that you will at some point in your life, better learn how to handle it now. Also, take classes you like, not just classes you need. Never know where they'll lead you.

I never really partied. Besides with my sisters boyfriends band. Man, those were some crazy guys. We'd drink like a case a person every time, then smoke some of my sisters boyfriends brothers weed, which was seriously the strongest weed I've ever smoked, it doesn't even feel anything like normal reggie, occasionally we'd do some shrooms, half the time I'd be tweaking on vyvanse or snorting adderall and I'd get crazy paranoid when I'd smoke some of that weed of the Gods.

I limited that to about once a week or so, though. And didn't party much other than that. To people I'm just getting to know, I'm so straight lace, they look amazed when I tell them I've smoked weed, I've known people for months, cursed in front of them, and they look so surprised, "I didn't think you knew words like that!", and all of the new girls at work seem to always get into a competition to see who can get me to talk first, "Why are you so silent?"

i felt bad reading OP cause I knew 95% of the advice in this thread would be terrible or non-existent.

OP, just relax. Meet people, try to do new things and break routine occasionally. You'll be fine, it's just life, you are programmed to figure it out.

My advice is self-consciously terrible, though, in a sort of "ironic" hipster sense.

God I want to punch myself. Excuse me.

In 6 years, you may want to come back to now and punch yourself in the face, BTW. Just punch yourself now, to sate your future self, you'll never get another chance.

Back