Preparing for college.

I never really partied. Besides with my sisters boyfriends band. Man, those were some crazy guys. We'd drink like a case a person every time, then smoke some of my sisters boyfriends brothers weed, which was seriously the strongest weed I've ever smoked, it doesn't even feel anything like normal reggie, occasionally we'd do some shrooms, half the time I'd be tweaking on vyvanse or snorting adderall and I'd get crazy paranoid when I'd smoke some of that weed of the Gods.

I limited that to about once a week or so, though. And didn't party much other than that. To people I'm just getting to know, I'm so straight lace, they look amazed when I tell them I've smoked weed, I've known people for months, cursed in front of them, and they look so surprised, "I didn't think you knew words like that!", and all of the new girls at work seem to always get into a competition to see who can get me to talk first, "Why are you so silent?"
'

Once a week is more than I did in the Marines bro. Not A LOT but it's a good deal of partying.

Seriously...have a little fun but concentrate on study.

My better half just returned to college at 45. Talk about a bitch!

She'll beat the pants off her classmates. I was good out of high school, picked up two BA and a minor in 4 years, 3 semesters at University of Chicago, still managed a 3.75. Did much better with 3rd BA, only took 18 months and picked up teaching creds. 4.0.

That is likely my problem in replying to this out of high school, going to university poster. While I'm currently working with high school students, I often am hearing myself as a 38 year old, entering college for the second time. Way different experience.

At 18, one cannot be 38, no matter how committed or mature. One, hormones. Two, those 19 and 20 year old guys are really cute! LOL! Hormones.

Seriously, hormones aside, to the poster: You seem a basically serious student, good for you. Still, have fun in moderation. Especially good advice if high school sucked socially. Being 'smart' and focused in college is really a turn on, so many aren't. Don't let folks copy your notes!

Take a page from one of my kids if you can. Volunteer. Keep your grades up and take as many courses as you can while maintaing good grades. Double major if possible. Apply for RA at the end of freshman year. Not many are allowed as sophomores, at my son's university only 2 out of over 50. He was one. Why? His grades, his extra-curricular sports participation, (he turned down an athletic scholarship in cross country, he didn't think he could do what he felt he had to academically if traveling), and volunteering at both an animal shelter and an Alzheimer's home, (which he'd done throughout high school.)

For 2.5 years, he didn't have to worry about room and board nor books or spending money. Along with the RA job, which covers room and board, he also had 'duties' that paid slightly above minimum wage. That covered the books and spending money. His academic scholarships covered nearly all of his tuition. He took two semesters, (one was summer), at Disney, major applied in 'law enforcement.' He still graduated in 4 years and 1 semester, with high honors. His total debt? Less than $4k. He spent 1 semester in apartment off campus, he wanted that experience. Lord knows he had 'fun,' we have too many pics of him with 'friends' and his not being fully attired, while running through the quads. Mom :rolleyes:

I never really partied. Besides with my sisters boyfriends band. Man, those were some crazy guys. We'd drink like a case a person every time, then smoke some of my sisters boyfriends brothers weed, which was seriously the strongest weed I've ever smoked, it doesn't even feel anything like normal reggie, occasionally we'd do some shrooms, half the time I'd be tweaking on vyvanse or snorting adderall and I'd get crazy paranoid when I'd smoke some of that weed of the Gods.

I limited that to about once a week or so, though. And didn't party much other than that. To people I'm just getting to know, I'm so straight lace, they look amazed when I tell them I've smoked weed, I've known people for months, cursed in front of them, and they look so surprised, "I didn't think you knew words like that!", and all of the new girls at work seem to always get into a competition to see who can get me to talk first, "Why are you so silent?"

I've never been the kind for parties. I'd have to be pretty screwed up to resort to one, which, thinking about it, is probably where I'll be 6 months from now.

So I've been asking around - family, friends, teachers, the like -, and I figure you lovely people could help me as well.

I'm about to graduate high school and will be moving off to college in the fall. What were your experiences starting off? And is there anything you wish you knew/had beforehand?

Cheers.

Thank_you_for_the_1M_by_Mikeinel.gif
The key is to find something your passionate about learning and throw all your energy and passion into learning it. Be open minded about the rest of the experience and learn how to learn. Some balance is fine but focus on your passion with gusto and energy and hard work.......and don't take pussy classes.....challenge yourself. Take the hardest classes you're prepared for. Take the most demanding Profs who bust your ass. So be passionate about which you choose to pursue but challenge both your intellect, ability and work ethic. You learn new passions that way.

But that's all secondary to your major purpose for being at college....GIRLS!!!

If you want to meet girls, choose a major other than comp sci. It was somewhat odd to find more than one girl in a class. Some of them were pretty attractive, but in chemistry or biology half the class would be composed of pretty attractive girls.

Back