Priest says Hell is an invention of the church to control people with fear

We need a cultural revolution. It is not just the church. It's the romantic ideal that is killing us. We seem to see our heroes as Batman now. Now we need to understand the Joker. He is the Batman who believed too much in the singular nature of the individual.

I wonder now if Heath got tired of trying to explain it or why the homosexuality scene in brokeback was not important but had to be shown? Or maybe it finally made sense. We praised and cursed him at the same time.

That priest is not an atheist and we know that you would bring out your branding iron to put an H on people's foreheads.

no, you don't know that....in fact, you had to make it up....I do know that you felt compelled to start this thread.....I asked why....you chose to answer by attacking my beliefs....perhaps that's the answer to my question.....

Of course, certainly the Old Testament.

I see. So when Christ mentions Gehenna (the actual word of the three used to speak of Hell that means that eternal punishment place) he really was speaking in the Old Testament and you should ignore it? When he later mentioned that you would be better putting out your eye than having Gehenna as a final destination he wasn't really in the New Testament and couldn't possibly be in the New Testament and should be ignored?

I'm always interested in how Christians decide which of the verses to ignore and which to pay attention to. I can understand a divide between Old and New Testaments in some ways, but an idea that they should ignore when their actual Deity speaks of something because they just don't want it to be true seems just weird...

man. takes me back to being raised Catholic. They weren't kidding around put the "fear of God" into you.

I'll take care of my karma,and let the cosmos take care of itself.

I see. So when Christ mentions Gehenna (the actual word of the three used to speak of Hell that means that eternal punishment place) he really was speaking in the Old Testament and you should ignore it? When he later mentioned that you would be better putting out your eye than having Gehenna as a final destination he wasn't really in the New Testament and couldn't possibly be in the New Testament and should be ignored?

I'm always interested in how Christians decide which of the verses to ignore and which to pay attention to. I can understand a divide between Old and New Testaments in some ways, but an idea that they should ignore when their actual Deity speaks of something because they just don't want it to be true seems just weird...

Yeah and I wouldn't refuse a blood transfusion because of something in the Bible either, am I going to Hell? Well no, because it doesn't exist!

Damo, do you believe Jesus Christ wrote the new testament or the Gospels?

Hell turns many Christians into the Devil. They believe their desires make them evil. They cannot resist their desires and their dumbass religion tells them that they are evil for them. So they embrace their "devil" and go to war on "God"... the good.. or they find a new good.

There is no Christ and even attempting that model will reduce your options until you are paralyzed or a hypocrite. But then some people don't bother reading the book or they claim that one part is literal and the other is not. There is wisdom in the book but as a whole it's all bs designed to control you. Just the same as the lyrics they spit into microphones and or words they spill on to manuscripts. There is no plot, because the devil is a figment of the imagination. People will pay you to turn them into puppet and puppet masters. They will beg you to do it and then hate you for doing it. There is very little chance that one will ever be one or the other.

They want to get the kiddies excited enough to move. But they are stuck because you frightened them. They can't please you by following that stupid code and they know it. Maybe, they can just dumb themselves down a little more. Or maybe they will go off to college and become an atheist asshole, like those people you hate.

This is why conservatives get lots of votes from very poor people. Those dummies that we all mock, believe it. They REALLY believe it! The studious ones studied it. It was important to them over even homework because their parents did not care about money. They just wasted their kids to be good Christians.

That book is nothing but animal husbandry. How to be a good shepherd. How to be a good father. How to be a good leader. Absolutely, written by men for men. There is plenty of wisdom. As a whole it is all just a fairytale designed to teach you a lesson and it does so incoherently even though they tightly controlled the canon. That is why they kept it from the masses for as long as they could. They knew it was impossible to apply literally and they did not want anyone challenging their interpretations.

This guy has studied. But I am sure every Christian who disagrees will tell us how he has no clue because of one passage in the bible or another. And the book that did not make it? Secondary sources? Anything from them? This guy considered a LOT MORE than one passage.

Forget Christ. He aint coming to save us. No, John Galt either. I will take a Martin Luther. Any improvement is better than this nonsense.

Many Christains stopped reading after spare the rod spoil the child, eye for an eye tooth for a tooth (forget context) or whatever they believe empowers them to judge others. Their every sin is relative, but not anyone elses. Their kid did wrong, oh well, he needs understanding. Somebody elses did wrong! Obviosuly, you need to beat them more. I learned about that one long time ago when they begged my mother to beat us more while looking the other when there kids fucking screwed us over. No, forget those passages about the fatherless child and how they are to be protected. Beat em more. That's what they need another kick in the gut.

At least we have quieted you on that one. We are not done. I am not going to sit idly by as one after another child is brainwashed or beaten. I will keep shocking your culture until it adjusts to something a little more reasonable. I can even charge your kids for the service and YOU will pay me to do it. That's what is happening. You can either move away or you can continue to pay to be mocked. They are going to suck you dry.

Jesus did not mean "hell" when he spoke of Gehenna, it is your fundamentalist back ground that indoctrinated you with that idea, that Gehenna and hell are interchangeable. The fire of Gehenna is meant to "refine", a purification, same as his analogy of gold being perfected by fire, refined. It isn't ment to be translated as a place of eternal punishment from my reading and understanding of Gehenna.

Jesus did not mean "hell" when he spoke of Gehenna

Jesus specifically mentioned paradise when he spoke to the thief on the cross......it would seem to me that being someplace else besides Paradise is a hell of a place to find yourself.....

Back