Problems with Linux

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Contrary to what most of you have heard about Linux, I've been spending more and more time booting into windows over the past few days. The ridiculous amount of complexity and loss of functionality just isn't worth it. I guess this makes me "stupid" - well sorry. There should never be any reason ever in a MODERN OPERATING SYSTEM to open up a terminal and type in some obscure commands simply to run a file. LInux users will tell you stuff like "ZOMG, you know, think about how hard it would be for you to split one file into two new file "NEW" and "OLD", and put all files that are three months old in the old file, and all new files in the new folder. CAn't do that in WINDOZE can you? Just keep on sucking Bill's balls!"

Thankyou. I'll never want to do that, so I guess there will be no problem.

To install a program, you shouldn't have to compile from code. You should be able to click on an icon on a desktop and it should install. That's fucking common sense. Linux users don't think so. Apparently, complexity prevents viruses.

I'm not a fucking idiot. All this does is prevent me from install the things I want, and if I did download a virus it would just mean it would longer for it to destroy my system.

Also, all the Linux desktops do is ripoff Mac and Windows. Badly. No originality at all.

I hate Linux as much as I hate the computer literate...I prefer to use Windows because I need my computer for basic tasks, not for inanities.

I need my computer for inanities.

Windows does inanities better. Windows does complex tasks better. There's simply no software available that's worth shit for linux, and if there is, it's available for Windows too, and on a Windows box it's also easier to install.

I need my computer for inanities.

Windows does inanities better. Windows does complex tasks better. There's simply no software available that's worth shit for linux, and if there is, it's available for Windows too, and on a Windows box it's also easier to install.

I meant inanities such as you were referring to (progammer orgasms)-- games and things like that I did not include as inane.

I meant inanities such as you were referring to (progammer orgasms)-- games and things like that I did not include as inane.

Windows has good programming software.

The C++ software I use for Windows is also available in Linux. I tried installing it - guess what, it's complex as shit.

God. I'm going to format this entire partition and put ubuntu on it. Gentoo was an idiot for recommending Fedora to me.

Like everything, watermark is a wishy washy emo that can never make up his mind.

Watermark one week ago:

Grind = QedVeritas
Watermark = thesupersacfiter

11:34:30 PM thesupersacfiter: I just got linux
11:34:42 PM qedveritas: woooooow
11:34:45 PM thesupersacfiter: Dammit
11:34:55 PM qedveritas: yeah i wasn't switching back and forth anymore lol
11:34:55 PM thesupersacfiter: Well, it's like a million times better than windows

11:35:07 PM qedveritas: a lot of things are a million times better than windows
11:35:17 PM thesupersacfiter: How could you torture yourself through that sucky operating system all those years?
11:35:22 PM qedveritas: errmmm
11:35:26 PM thesupersacfiter: That's like the worst operating system in existence.

11:37:48 PM thesupersacfiter: Gentoo recommended Fedora to me.
11:37:56 PM thesupersacfiter: It's pretty cool.

11:43:04 PM thesupersacfiter: But I have to spend ALL THAT TIME loading up Vista to get to most of my library that doesn't run on Wine.
11:43:13 PM thesupersacfiter: It takes like 15 minutes.
11:43:21 PM thesupersacfiter: And once I'm there, well, it's windows, and it sucks.
11:43:26 PM qedveritas: lol
11:43:36 PM qedveritas: so like everything else, i guess you were fickle about windows too
11:44:08 PM thesupersacfiter: Well, let me put it this way.
11:44:19 PM thesupersacfiter: I haven't crashed once since I've installed Linux
11:44:24 PM thesupersacfiter: And it boots up within a minute.

Like everything, watermark is a wishy washy emo that can never make up his mind.

Watermark one week ago:

Grind = QedVeritas
Watermark = thesupersacfiter

11:34:30 PM thesupersacfiter: I just got linux
11:34:42 PM qedveritas: woooooow
11:34:45 PM thesupersacfiter: Dammit
11:34:55 PM qedveritas: yeah i wasn't switching back and forth anymore lol
11:34:55 PM thesupersacfiter: Well, it's like a million times better than windows

11:35:07 PM qedveritas: a lot of things are a million times better than windows
11:35:17 PM thesupersacfiter: How could you torture yourself through that sucky operating system all those years?
11:35:22 PM qedveritas: errmmm
11:35:26 PM thesupersacfiter: That's like the worst operating system in existence.

11:37:48 PM thesupersacfiter: Gentoo recommended Fedora to me.
11:37:56 PM thesupersacfiter: It's pretty cool.

11:43:04 PM thesupersacfiter: But I have to spend ALL THAT TIME loading up Vista to get to most of my library that doesn't run on Wine.
11:43:13 PM thesupersacfiter: It takes like 15 minutes.
11:43:21 PM thesupersacfiter: And once I'm there, well, it's windows, and it sucks.
11:43:26 PM qedveritas: lol
11:43:36 PM qedveritas: so like everything else, i guess you were fickle about windows too
11:44:08 PM thesupersacfiter: Well, let me put it this way.
11:44:19 PM thesupersacfiter: I haven't crashed once since I've installed Linux
11:44:24 PM thesupersacfiter: And it boots up within a minute.

Grind one week ago:

11:43:26 PM qedveritas: Hey, how old is your brother? 15? Can I meet him?
11:34:30 PM thesupersacfiter: Why?
11:43:27 PM qedveritas: I like little boys. :)

Last edited:
Opinion: Why Linux sucks as a desktop OS

by Lockergnome on April 26, 2003 at 10:50 am · Comments
Categorized by General / Related Information

vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS…

“What brought this article on is availability of cheap PCs, sub $300 PCs from mass merchandisers like Walmart. These PCs are loaded with various Linux distros like Mandrake, for instance. The assumption is that these PCs are being bought by first time users (or maybe as a second PC) who are not computer experts or light Windows users. I’ve recently witnessed three instances of where these PCs were purchased, then the hard drive was reformatted and a copy of Windows was installed. I am sure there is more of that going on. The obvious conclusion here is that Linux for whatever reason did not pass the grade. Here are some reasons, in my opinion.”

I'm going to have to pirate OS X.

ARRRRRR!

Opinion: Why Linux sucks as a desktop OS

by Lockergnome on April 26, 2003 at 10:50 am · Comments
Categorized by General / Related Information

vbRAD has an opinion column on why Linux sucks as a desktop OS…

“What brought this article on is availability of cheap PCs, sub $300 PCs from mass merchandisers like Walmart. These PCs are loaded with various Linux distros like Mandrake, for instance. The assumption is that these PCs are being bought by first time users (or maybe as a second PC) who are not computer experts or light Windows users. I’ve recently witnessed three instances of where these PCs were purchased, then the hard drive was reformatted and a copy of Windows was installed. I am sure there is more of that going on. The obvious conclusion here is that Linux for whatever reason did not pass the grade. Here are some reasons, in my opinion.”

I'm going to have to pirate OS X.

ARRRRRR!

***Yawn***

Why don't you take this to one of those Geek-Techno sites...I think they would be able to help you more than anyone in here!;)

Why don't you take this to one of those Geek-Techno sites...I think they would be able to help you more than anyone in here!;)

This is a geek techno site. I can find help easily enough, but i can only complain here.

Using my computer isn't Linux. Using my computer is installing Dev-C++ without having to take 8 aspirin's. Linux is an interesting hobby OS but I don't need a stupid hobby... I need a computer.

Okee Dokee...........

This is a geek techno site. I can find help easily enough, but i can only complain here.

Using my computer isn't Linux. Using my computer is installing Dev-C++ without having to take 8 aspirin's. Linux is an interesting hobby OS but I don't need a stupid hobby... I need a computer.

Then ask damo for help...or maybe UScit...:corn:

Grind one week ago:

11:43:26 PM qedveritas: Hey, how old is your brother? 15? Can I meet him?
11:34:30 PM thesupersacfiter: Why?
11:43:27 PM qedveritas: I like little boys. :)

Watermark one weak ago:

11:43:26 PM thesupersacfiter: Grind I have a confession :(
11:34:30 PM qedveritas: what's up watermark? you can tell me
11:43:27 PM thesupersacfiter: I like balls on my face, yuuuuum. :)

Get Ubuntu, it's good for lazy bastards like me because you really don't have to compile anything because there are a few thousand applications nicely wrapped up and ready to automatically install for you. Stay away from Automatix or Easibuntu though, they'll just give you grief.

When you've installed Ubuntu (a doddle by the way) look for Synaptic Package Manager. It will list all the packages held in the repositories you've identified. Check with your isp because sometimes (like mine does) they will mirror repos so that if you're on a download limit (this is Australia, we get treated like shit by all our isp's) you can download packages and not blow youor download limit.

When you want to use a command line to do it just open the terminal and do the sudo thing and install everything from the command line automatically. The command line in Ubuntu is an easy tool and very powerful.

I'll leave Slackware and Gentoo for the real geeks, they're both beyond me, Ubuntu is fine.

Amazingly, all my software works well with my Operating System... And often I pay as much as you do for yours if you are getting knock offs made for Linux....

Of six computers running in my house two have crashed, one was using OSX, the other Vista. All 4 of the others have never crashed and all use XP.

I installed Ubuntu. The problem WAS Fedora. Vista doesn't even begin to compare.

To compare XP to Ubuntu would be unfair so I won't. XP was probably the worst version of Windoze.

It took me FIVE hours to get my network card working under Fedora. 10 minutes on Ubuntu. I'm a happy man.

To bad I forgot that all my class notes were on that partition... oh well.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I installed a bunch of programs using Automatix. I hope you don't hate me for deliberately ignoring your advice Di.

Course not, I'm not a Linux fanboy :D The Linux community gets hysterical over Automatix. No, indeed my cautionary advice was given with the intention of assisting you to have a nice clean Ubuntu that won't crash on you. If Automatix works for you then who am I to criticise? I've used it myself on occasion but then it started causing me problems so I just removed it and rely on SPM or when I'm feeling adventurous, I download tarballs and see if I can fuck my computer up all by myself.

Good luck with Ubuntu, I'm very happy with it. My only problem is that I'm too computer stupid to know how to partition things properly so that if I need to reinstall than I won't lose data. I back up everything onto an external hard drive just in case I have to reinstall. So far so good. I'm using Gutsy and that works fine. I'm staying away from Hardy Heron until it's ready for the road as I had huge problems with early versions of Gutsy.

Back