APP - Proof That God Exists

[edit] organisms exist whether we classify them as "in existence" or not. Reality is not in our heads, it is extant in the world. You sound like a liberal.

Science defines what "organism" means, and what constitutes one. It's not a feeling or opinion, it's a defined fact of life. You've missed out on the whole conversation, and you'll need to read through pages of apple explaining to us how an organism isn't really an organism because it can't live forever. The bottom line is, after days and weeks of denying science, Apple has now decided that the best position is to render science irrelevant, because "Science can classify anything whatever they wish."

How about you? Are you on board with Apple? Do you believe a living growing fetus is NOT a living organism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science defines what "organism" means, and what constitutes one. It's not a feeling or opinion, it's a defined fact of life. You've missed out on the whole conversation, and you'll need to read through pages of apple explaining to us how an organism isn't really an organism because it can't live forever. The bottom line is, after days and weeks of denying science, Apple has now decided that the best position is to render science irrelevant, because "Science can classify anything whatever they wish."

How about you, AssClown? Are you on board with Apple? Do you believe a living growing fetus is NOT a living organism?

But organisms existed before scientists defined life. And i believe a fetus is a living organism. The death culters are anti-science on that one.

No, I completely understand spirituality and practice it everyday in my life. The fact that you reject it and refuse to accept it, is not my problem.

You think it means confused and mushy thinking, and I believe you when you say you practice it, according to your definition.

polyatheist.jpg

"This poor child of five was subjected to every possible torture by those cultivated parents. They beat her, thrashed her, kicked her for no reason till her body was one bruise. Then, they went to greater refinements of cruelty -- shut her up all night in the cold and frost in a privy, and because she didn't ask to be taken up at night (as though a child of five sleeping its angelic, sound sleep could be trained to wake and ask), they smeared her face and filled her mouth with excrement, and it was her mother, her mother did this. And that mother could sleep, hearing the poor child's groans! Can you understand why a little creature, who can't even understand what's done to her, should beat her little aching heart with her tiny fist in the dark and the cold, and weep her meek unresentful tears to dear, kind God to protect her? Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble novice? Do you understand why this infamy must be and is permitted? Without it, I am told, man could not have existed on earth, for he could not have known good and evil. Why should he know that diabolical good and evil when it costs so much? Why, the whole world of knowledge is not worth that child's prayer to dear, kind God'! I say nothing of the sufferings of grown-up people, they have eaten the apple, damn them, and the devil take them all! But these little ones! I am making you suffer, Alyosha, you are not yourself. I'll leave off if you like."

"Nevermind. I want to suffer too," muttered Alyosha.

"One picture, only one more, because it's so curious, so characteristic, and I have only just read it in some collection of Russian antiquities. I've forgotten the name. I must look it up. It was in the darkest days of serfdom at the beginning of the century, and long live the Liberator of the People! There was in those days a general of aristocratic connections, the owner of great estates, one of those men -- somewhat exceptional, I believe, even then -- who, retiring from the service into a life of leisure, are convinced that they've earned absolute power over the lives of their subjects. There were such men then. So our general, settled on his property of two thousand souls, lives in pomp, and domineers over his poor neighbours as though they were dependents and buffoons. He has kennels of hundreds of hounds and nearly a hundred dog-boys -- all mounted, and in uniform. One day a serf-boy, a little child of eight, threw a stone in play and hurt the paw of the general's favourite hound. 'Why is my favourite dog lame?' He is told that the boy threw a stone that hurt the dog's paw. 'So you did it.' The general looked the child up and down. 'Take him.' He was taken -- taken from his mother and kept shut up all night. Early that morning the general comes out on horseback, with the hounds, his dependents, dog-boys, and huntsmen, all mounted around him in full hunting parade. The servants are summoned for their edification, and in front of them all stands the mother of the child. The child is brought from the lock-up. It's a gloomy, cold, foggy, autumn day, a capital day for hunting. The general orders the child to be undressed; the child is stripped naked. He shivers, numb with terror, not daring to cry.... 'Make him run,' commands the general. 'Run! run!' shout the dog-boys. The boy runs.... 'At him!' yells the general, and he sets the whole pack of hounds on the child. The hounds catch him, and tear him to pieces before his mother's eyes!... I believe the general was afterwards declared incapable of administering his estates. Well -- what did he deserve? To be shot? To be shot for the satisfaction of our moral feelings? Speak, Alyosha!

"To be shot," murmured Alyosha, lifting his eyes to Ivan with a pale, twisted smile.

"Bravo!" cried Ivan delighted. "If even you say so... You're a pretty monk! So there is a little devil sitting in your heart, Alyosha Karamazov!"

Ivan's question is here. http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/brothers_karamazov/3

"Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence, then, evil." Epicurus

Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence, then, evil.

What about; Able, but not inclined to react in a completely humanistic emotional way? If evil were unknown, how would we recognize goodness? Why would God need to subscribe to your notions and perceptions of words like 'impotent' and 'malevolent? You and other philosophers, have often made the mistake of measuring God in humanistic ways, through humanistic evaluations. Don't feel alone, it's the basis of most organized religions.

What about; Able, but not inclined to react in a completely humanistic emotional way? If evil were unknown, how would we recognize goodness? Why would God need to subscribe to your notions and perceptions of words like 'impotent' and 'malevolent? You and other philosophers, have often made the mistake of measuring God in humanistic ways, through humanistic evaluations. Don't feel alone, it's the basis of most organized religions.

The undeniable truth is that God is portrayed as human. He is created in our own image. The fact that it's a "He" is one demonstration of that.

A jealous God? What is that?

A God that needs to be praised?

A God that "chooses" people?

Question: Why aren't believers comfortable with knowing that only they believe in their God?

Many of the Founders didn't believe it. Jefferson most certainly did not.

They were Diests, not Christians.

The undeniable truth is that God is portrayed as human. He is created in our own image. The fact that it's a "He" is one demonstration of that.

What is true is, mankind has created a humanly image of God. This has nothing to do with whether or not a God actually exists. I believe mankind created organized religions because they sought a way to understand and comprehend a spiritual entity. We developed these depictions of God with human attributes, because human attributes are something we can relate to and comprehend. If there had been a way for man to have made a spiritual connection without the need for comprehending it in a human way, then maybe we would worship spiritually without religion? And maybe the world would have been a better place for it? Perhaps organized religion is mankind's biggest error in understanding and comprehending spirituality? I have no problem with any of these debates, but the bottom line remains, religion does exist, and isn't going away; And humans have always had a profound connection to spirituality.

A jealous God? What is that?

Well, that would be a piece of religious dogma, some people need to believe that God is a jealous God. Because some people choose to believe this, doesn't mean this is how God must exist.

A God that needs to be praised?

Again, a humanistic requirement we placed on God, it has nothing to do with whether or not a God exists. For the record, the Christian religion does not believe that "God needs to be praised" but rather; You are so grateful to God, you willingly give your praise. They do not teach he needs or requires praise.

A God that "chooses" people?

Again, you are speaking of man-made criteria, developed so they could better understand a spiritual entity. Whether they are correct, is certainly debatable, but again... has no bearing on whether or not a God actually exists.

Question: Why aren't believers comfortable with knowing that only they believe in their God?

I don't think it's not being comfortable. We find that whenever people experience a spiritual connection for the first time, it is a profound experience. Imagine a whole new world you never realized existed, and you have just been enlightened to it... Your natural reaction is going to be excitement, and enthusiasm for telling others about it. "Hey, I used to be just like you, I didn't believe..." I know this is difficult for a non-believer to understand, it's kind of like those picture patters you stare at and 'see' an image... some people just don't 'see' the image, no matter how hard they try. You haven't tapped into your spiritual energy, so you have no basis for which to believe in it. Other people can tell you about it and explain it, but like the picture pattern, you don't see a thing. Now.... If suddenly, you saw the image, and some guy standing next to you says; "I don't think there really is an image, I think they are just making that up!" You can't ever convince him that you saw the image, he either believes there is an image that people are able to see, or it's all a lie.

Many of the Founders didn't believe it. Jefferson most certainly did not. They were Diests, not Christians.

All of the founders HAD to believe that we are a nation "endowed by our Creator" because that is what they based the nation on. The entire "Deism" argument is rejected when we examine history and how things were in that time. Tell me, if you were a founding father hoping to forge a new nation which guaranteed freedom of religion, would you want to be known by the public as some big wig Baptist or Methodist? Do you think people would trust such folks to establish freedom of religious beliefs? Wouldn't it be much more diplomatic and helpful to your argument, if your personal religious convictions were kept private? That if any public record of your involvement with churches, be at a minimum... while at the same time, holding a 'universal' understanding we all believe differently? Isn't that where the Deist philosophy rested? Deism was simply a way the founders had of distancing themselves from "the church" for the express purposes of impartiality.

Washington's Farewell Address: He says, "It is foolish to believe man can govern without God." ....doesn't sound like someone who supposedly believed the opposite, does it?

What is true is, mankind has created a humanly image of God. This has nothing to do with whether or not a God actually exists. I believe mankind created organized religions because they sought a way to understand and comprehend a spiritual entity. We developed these depictions of God with human attributes, because human attributes are something we can relate to and comprehend. If there had been a way for man to have made a spiritual connection without the need for comprehending it in a human way, then maybe we would worship spiritually without religion? And maybe the world would have been a better place for it? Perhaps organized religion is mankind's biggest error in understanding and comprehending spirituality? I have no problem with any of these debates, but the bottom line remains, religion does exist, and isn't going away; And humans have always had a profound connection to spirituality.

I agree with much of what you've said here .. however, if you travel to the deepest, darkest corners of the earth and soughout people who have been disconnected from the rest of the world .. do you know what you'd find? Religion. Religion is dogma, doctrine, a belief system. It exists, but that is no proof that their deity does. That only exists in the mind of the believer .. no different than Bigfoot.

Well, that would be a piece of religious dogma, some people need to believe that God is a jealous God. Because some people choose to believe this, doesn't mean this is how God must exist.

That's what the Bible tells them. God is depicted as a human throughout the Bible.

Again, a humanistic requirement we placed on God, it has nothing to do with whether or not a God exists. For the record, the Christian religion does not believe that "God needs to be praised" but rather; You are so grateful to God, you willingly give your praise. They do not teach he needs or requires praise.

Yes, they do. "Praise God." You should spend a Sunday at a black church good sister. :0)

Again, you are speaking of man-made criteria, developed so they could better understand a spiritual entity. Whether they are correct, is certainly debatable, but again... has no bearing on whether or not a God actually exists.

I agree .. facts have everything to do with whether God exists .. and the belief in God has nothing whatsoever to do with facts. I has everything to do with faith .. which does not require fact.

I don't think it's not being comfortable. We find that whenever people experience a spiritual connection for the first time, it is a profound experience. Imagine a whole new world you never realized existed, and you have just been enlightened to it... Your natural reaction is going to be excitement, and enthusiasm for telling others about it. "Hey, I used to be just like you, I didn't believe..." I know this is difficult for a non-believer to understand, it's kind of like those picture patters you stare at and 'see' an image... some people just don't 'see' the image, no matter how hard they try. You haven't tapped into your spiritual energy, so you have no basis for which to believe in it. Other people can tell you about it and explain it, but like the picture pattern, you don't see a thing. Now.... If suddenly, you saw the image, and some guy standing next to you says; "I don't think there really is an image, I think they are just making that up!" You can't ever convince him that you saw the image, he either believes there is an image that people are able to see, or it's all a lie.

Again, I don't disagree.

All of the founders HAD to believe that we are a nation "endowed by our Creator" because that is what they based the nation on. The entire "Deism" argument is rejected when we examine history and how things were in that time. Tell me, if you were a founding father hoping to forge a new nation which guaranteed freedom of religion, would you want to be known by the public as some big wig Baptist or Methodist? Do you think people would trust such folks to establish freedom of religious beliefs? Wouldn't it be much more diplomatic and helpful to your argument, if your personal religious convictions were kept private? That if any public record of your involvement with churches, be at a minimum... while at the same time, holding a 'universal' understanding we all believe differently? Isn't that where the Deist philosophy rested? Deism was simply a way the founders had of distancing themselves from "the church" for the express purposes of impartiality.

First, you have a misunderstanding of "Deism" and "Creator."

Deism is the absence and the rejection of superstitious dogma and teachings. Are you aware that Jefferson wrote his own Bible? What do you think he left out of it? Deism is the acceptance of wisdom and reason. Perhaps you forget the the age the Founders lived in was called the "Age of Enlightenment .. the Age of Reason."

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."

"Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live."

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."

"What is it men cannot be made to believe!"

-- Thomas Jefferson

“I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religion than it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

“I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own — a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism.”

“I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.”

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.”

-- Albert Einstein

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies."

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."

-- Benjamin Franklin

Deists see the Creator as Nature .. as I do. They did not refer to the Crhristian God.

Washington's Farewell Address: He says, "It is foolish to believe man can govern without God." ....doesn't sound like someone who supposedly believed the opposite, does it?

Are you aware of the Treaty of Tripoli?

Article 11: "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Muslim] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1796t.asp

Wriiten by George Washington.

Ratified unanimously by the United States June 10, 1797

"Every man, conducting himself as a good citizen, and being accountable to God alone for his religious opinions, ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience."

I agree with much of what you've said here .. however, if you travel to the deepest, darkest corners of the earth and soughout people who have been disconnected from the rest of the world .. do you know what you'd find? Religion. Religion is dogma, doctrine, a belief system. It exists, but that is no proof that their deity does. That only exists in the mind of the believer .. no different than Bigfoot.

Again, we observe that "religion" is simply man's way of comprehending something incomprehensible. Can you explain how some people who haven't been exposed (or influenced) by the outside world, are found to be practicing spiritual beliefs? If this is some sort of superficial fad, which we really didn't need, it seems to transcend time and culture, and find its way to the most remote and isolated people on the planet. You couldn't have given a better example of proof for God.

That's what the Bible tells them. God is depicted as a human throughout the Bible.

Again, you can't examine the existence of God based on specific religious teachings, one doesn't necessarily relate to the other. God CAN exist and not be the version depicted in the Christian Bible, there is no law written or unwritten, which says this has to be the case, and IF God exists, he must meet the criteria established by Christians.

Yes, they do. "Praise God." You should spend a Sunday at a black church good sister. :0)

Again... "Praise God" (because you are grateful) is a far cry from "God Commands You to Praise Him!" That notion is simply not expressed by Christian religions, black or otherwise.

And, oh by the way, in case you wanted to know... I am a guy not a "sister."

I agree .. facts have everything to do with whether God exists .. and the belief in God has nothing whatsoever to do with facts. I has everything to do with faith .. which does not require fact.

Again, a "fact" is what we accept as factual. "Proof" is what we perceive it to be. "Faith" is also what we perceive it to be. We have faith based on our perception of proof and what we accept as factual. It has nothing to do with science or physical proof, nor does it need to have anything to do with this.

First, you have a misunderstanding of "Deism" and "Creator."

I understand both very well. Again, Deism was a convenient way for the founding fathers to separate themselves from "the church" and religion itself, because their personal religious beliefs were to have nothing to do with the Constitution or how it was written. It's ironic you can see the importance of freedom of religion, yet you can't imagine why the architects needed to remain impartial. IF we were suddenly in a situation where we had to form a new nation, and we wanted to establish religious freedom, would we put Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson in charge of designing such a system? Could you even imagine the outcry? How could devout religious believers ever be trusted to establish a truly impartial system of religious freedom?

I understand the word "Creator" in the Declaration, is capitalized. That means something.

I also realize; "We are endowed by our Creator, certain inalienable rights..." couldn't have been written by Atheists.

Are you aware of the Treaty of Tripoli?

Hmm.. let's see, Dec of Indie or Treaty of Tripoli... let me think about which one of these is more instrumental and pertinent to our particular founding of government?

Dixie,

What I have discovered in my conversations with Christians is that I know the Bible better than most.

Again... "Praise God" (because you are grateful) is a far cry from "God Commands You to Praise Him!" That notion is simply not expressed by Christian religions, black or otherwise.

Psalm 150:1-6 ESV: Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals!

Deuteronomy 28:47-48 ESV: Because you did not serve the Lord your God with joyfulness and gladness of heart, because of the abundance of all things, therefore you shall serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you, in hunger and thirst, in nakedness, and lacking everything. And he will put a yoke of iron on your neck until he has destroyed you.

Exodus 20:1-26 ESV: And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, ...

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ESV: Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Leviticus 26:1-46 ESV: You shall not make idols for yourselves or erect an image or pillar, and you shall not set up a figured stone in your land to bow down to it, for I am the Lord your God. You shall keep my Sabbaths and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord. “If you walk in my statutes and observe my commandments and do them, then I will give you your rains in their season, and the land shall yield its increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. Your threshing shall last to the time of the grape harvest, and the grape harvest shall last to the time for sowing. And you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely. ...

There is more ..

And, oh by the way, in case you wanted to know... I am a guy not a "sister."

A thousand pardons my brother. I meant no disrespect.

Back