Protest? next Saturday

To Northerners, it is apparently anyone who lives South of the Mason-Dixon.

To me you have to hit all points on the Redneck Trifecta:

1) Must have inordinate love of NASCAR and football
2) Must have ridiculously laughable accent
3) Must drink Bud Light or something equally shitty

By my definition, there are many northern rednecks as well.

I believe the modern definition of Redneck is essentially the same as Hick. I cannot qualify because I loathe NASCAR, am a snob when it comes to beer, and have a quaint Northwest accent (sorry ladies, its bland and lacks the sexiness of British, South African, and New England, but at least its not silly and trite).

I believe the modern definition of Redneck is essentially the same as Hick. I cannot qualify because I loathe NASCAR, am a snob when it comes to beer, and have a quaint Northwest accent (sorry ladies, its bland and lacks the sexiness of British, South African, and New England, but at least its not silly and trite).

Three, have you ever thought that other people who naturally have other accents may think your accent is silly and trite?

AND unsexy?

I agree. By some people's definition I am a redneck. I work outdoors part of the time, I live in a rural area, I like to hunt, hike, fish, camp, canoe ect. And I am a southerner.

But I am a voracious reader, a huge fan of Shakespeare, I have all my teeth, I am not stupid, and my family tree has forks. So that prevents me from fulfilling the terms of some people's definition of a redneck.

I don't work outdoors, I live in a metropolitan area, and I have never hunted before. And I'm all that other crap.

So I'm an uber-un-redneck.

Three, have you ever thought that other people who naturally have other accents may think your accent is silly and trite?

AND unsexy?

Well, I think we can all agree that the English and South African dialects are sexy, along with New England and Australian, and perhaps Irish as well.

We in the Northwest basically sound the same as the Midwesterners, whose dialect, btw has been ranked as the "official" American dialect. It may not be sexy, but it is easily the clearest and most concise of accents. The Southern accent blows balls.

Well, I think we can all agree that the English and South African dialects are sexy, along with New England and Australian, and perhaps Irish as well.

We in the Northwest basically sound the same as the Midwesterners, whose dialect, btw has been ranked as the "official" American dialect. It may not be sexy, but it is easily the clearest and most concise of accents. The Southern accent blows balls.

A lot of women think it sounds sexy on matthew mcconaughey. But not many think it sounds sexy on Dixie.

It's sort of the difference between normal English and Cockney English. And the fact that even if a chick speaks cockney or had a humungous hillbilly accent I'd still screw her if she were hot.

I know quite a few non-southerners that would disagree. In fact, I have seen numerous foriegn men go nuts over my wife's accent in voice chats. For some people a southern accent seems to mean ignorance. And some people are not so biased or uninformed.

My job was a little busy last week but things have calmed down again for me. the best way to get trhough tough times is to get drunk. I think I read that in the Bible or something.

Pshaw...why just tough times? Be flexible. :clink:

To Northerners, it is apparently anyone who lives South of the Mason-Dixon.

To me you have to hit all points on the Redneck Trifecta:

1) Must have inordinate love of NASCAR and football
2) Must have ridiculously laughable accent
3) Must drink Bud Light or something equally shitty

By my definition, there are many northern rednecks as well.

Damnit, I missed out, I hate NASCAR. Other than that I score on all of those indicators :)

I bet you say WaRshington don't you? :cof1:

A lot of women think it sounds sexy on matthew mcconaughey. But not many think it sounds sexy on Dixie.

It's sort of the difference between normal English and Cockney English. And the fact that even if a chick speaks cockney or had a humungous hillbilly accent I'd still screw her if she were hot.

There's another one in England now, they call it "Estuarine English". It's hard to describe but the bit that shits me is when they pronounce "good" as (trying to find a way to explain this) "gud". Instead of the longer vowel sound in the "oo" in "good" which stretches the "oooh" sound and the lips have to form an "o" shape and there is an aspiration, the "gud" is short, sharp and essentially without aspiration and the tongue pushes towards the teeth rather than being drawn back as in the pronunciation which relies on the lips being made into an "o" shape and where the tongue is kept back in the mouth.

Also in Estuarine English there's a modified glottal stop. While Cockney English uses the glottal stop a great deal and it's done without any affectation, it seems to me at least, that in EE the glottal stop is almost used as an accessory. It doesn't need to be there but it's used t distinguish the EE user from the poncey Home Counties type.

Where the bloody hell is Charver when you need his expertise? He could explain this better than I can.

Of course you'd do that, but I can't imagine you would hold any sort of respect or admiration for her...

I know quite a few non-southerners that would disagree. In fact, I have seen numerous foriegn men go nuts over my wife's accent in voice chats. For some people a southern accent seems to mean ignorance. And some people are not so biased or uninformed.
It does mean ignorance...

I bet you say WaRshington don't you? :cof1:
I say it deliberately because its funny. Honestly, I don't think its a native pronunciation, but rather something that transplants from New England have brought, seeing as how we get a lot of them every year...

"It does mean ignorance..."

Only in that it shows the ignorance of those who believe such tripe.

No, its ignorance. That's why Gregory Peck doesn't have the accent in To Kill a Mockingbird. He's playing an intellectual.

You base your beliefs about intelligence on a 45 year old movie? And you claim our accents show our ignorance? lmao

Of course you'd do that, but I can't imagine you would hold any sort of respect or admiration for her...

It does mean ignorance...

I say it deliberately because its funny. Honestly, I don't think its a native pronunciation, but rather something that transplants from New England have brought, seeing as how we get a lot of them every year...

How can an accent be ignorant? Sure, most intelligent people choose to speak the "normal" accent in the country, the stage accent. Others don't. There's nothing wrong with that. You have to have a special amount of intelligence, Three, to realize that there is no "proper language".

Back