Punishment and Penal Substitution

I don't think we should feel weak in the knees and grasp for the fainting couch when we read ancient literature that has elements that do not live up to 21st century standards
When those ancient standards are still invoked to make law and public policy, it becomes problematic.

When those ancient standards are still invoked to make law and public policy, it becomes problematic.
Conservatives would still be trying to outlaw abortion even without the Bible, because it's never been about valuing life. It's about controlling women. Roe v Wade was not overturned by a bible thumper. It was overturned by the atheist Donald Trumpf.

You are not very bright.
I'm not on the team that relentlessly paints the the Hebrew bible or the NT as unrelentingly evil, malevolent, a compendium of ignorance and lies.

Nor am I on the team that consistently represents the bible as inerrant, literally true, and the divine word of the god of Abraham.

From my armchair as an amateur historian and literary critic, the bible is historically, culturally, and morally important literature that has vast and unique influence on the development of western civilization.

I'm not on the team that relentlessly paints the the Hebrew bible or the NT as unrelentingly evil, malevolent, a compendium of ignorance and lies.

Nor am I on the team that consistently represents the bible as inerrant, literally true, and the divine word of the god of Abraham.

From my armchair as an amateur historian and literary critic, the bible is historically, culturally, and morally important literature that has vast and unique influence on the development of western civilization.
Can’t deny it’s had a huge influence!

Conservatives would still be trying to outlaw abortion even without the Bible, because it's never been about valuing life. It's about controlling women. Roe v Wade was not overturned by a bible thumper. It was overturned by the atheist Donald Trumpf.
Gay marriage, LBGTQ issues, foreign policy, health insurance.

Trump pandering to the fundamentalist faction.

So, in the OT, this god used mass killings to punish transgressors of his creation that he made faulty in the first place. He wiped out the entire world, save a few, in the flood. Killed every fucking person, save a few, in Sodom and Gomorrha. The slaughter of the Canaanites. He kills Job’s family based on a fucking bet. Not to mention all the animal sacrifice through the millennia. So, he got tired of all that mass killing and decided to torture and kill one more innocent person, his own son.

Why is this god unable to forgive sin by the very people he created without some sort of penalty? He made them with flaws and then punishes them for those very flaws? The penalty being pain, suffering and death. Of innocents, no less.

And, regarding that atonement thing, now I can sin without consequences simply by accepting that Jesus died for those sins? What a great “get out of jail free” card! Penal substitution.

True forgiveness comes with no strings attached.
I do love how angry you get.

Jesus Christ, these fuckers are as dense as they get. That’s why they’re Trumpers. Simpletons. Gullible. Dense. Willfully ignorant.
This relates to recent post by Concart about information.
People like Yakuda do not distinguish between the truth of saying something and the truth of what is said.

This relates to recent post by Concart about information.
People like Yakuda do not distinguish between the truth of saying something and the truth of what is said.
There is a proverb:
“If you dwell with a lame man, you will learn how to limp.”

They associate so much with a pathological liar that they have become that.

I think it is Bible related. If not, I don't know why Republicans would be against abortion since abortion mostly kills Liberals/Democrats. :laugh:

I think it is Bible related. If not, I don't know why Republicans would be against abortion since abortion mostly kills Liberals/Democrats. :laugh:
I think abortion is mostly a religious objection. The theology that god sends souls into the human body.

The bible is used as a fig leaf, but really probably only about 25 percent of America support a complete and total ban on abortion. The legislative and judicial power to control women would never get traction without atheists, the irreligious, and the Incels of the right wing. Most polls even show a majority of Republicans supporting some form of legal abortion.

It was an atheist president who finally got abortion banned, not a bible thumper. And this board is infamous for thousands of examples of irreligious Rightwing Incels hollering that women should keep their legs closed rather than engaging in activities that could lead to abortion. I've always thought this was more about resentment, grievance, and control, than it is about religion.

It was an atheist president who finally got abortion banned, not a bible thumper.

Trump may (or may not) be an atheist, but he was 100% playing to the Religious Right. He was pro choice much of his adult life and he switched to pro life to curry favor with the Evangelicals.

Trump may (or may not) be an atheist, but he was 100% playing to the Religious Right. He was pro choice much of his adult life and he switched to pro life to curry favor with the Evangelicals.
When rightwing atheists, agnostics, Incels make common cause to ban abortion, it's functionally equivalent to evangelicals opposing abortion.

Total abortion bans would never get traction in this country because of the small minority that support total and complete bans on abortion.

It takes assholes who support abortion bans for reasons other than religion, to get Roe overturned. The atheist Donald Trump got the remaining pro-choice Republicans to look the other way and shut up.

This board has had Rightwing Buddhists, rightwing Taoists, rightwing atheists, rightwing Incels, and the irreligious Rightwing support abortion bans simply because they think a fetus is a human, and women aren't entitled to reproductive choice

Back