QUIZ - What Is the # 1 Most Listened to Tune in the World ?

You said >> "you click on "copy image address"" Your words, not mine. So that's what I did. It didn't work. Got it ?

If you weren't an idiot, and some other idiots in this idiot forum, you'd all know the CURRENT 2016 MO is "copy image" and then just paste it . simple as that. Time for you guys to step up.

lol.....is there anyone here but you who isn't smart enough to figure out how to post pictures?........I don't know why you're calling US idiots....

lol.....is there anyone here but you who isn't smart enough to figure out how to post pictures?........I don't know why you're calling US idiots....

AGAIN (some people need to be told twice) I have posted thousands of pictures for 10 years on forums, and my OPs and posts are loaded with them. (in other forums). Actually, I have been known for my picture posting (as I do it more often than most posters), ..it is only here that when I click copy image, for some reason that doesn't allow the picture to be pasted. So as I said further back in the thread, maybe the mods can work on that/

OK. Enough of that. Now since this thread has devolved into a thicket of thorns here, I might as well skip the quiz routine, and get to the answer.

Sailor's Hornpipe

Most people in America know this tune (which is also a 407 year old dance) as the lead-in music in the old Popeye the Sailor Man cartoons. That's where first heard it. In the UK and British dominion countries, however, the Sailor's Hornpipe has a much bigger and significant meaning than that. It is the national tune of England, and is a bedrock of British culture, with a history dating back to 1609 AD, when it was first known to be played on the fiddle on old, wooden clipper ships (the ones with the huge sails) as a way of providing the sailors exercise and recreation.

Since they didn't walk too much on a ship, and sometime were away at sea for months, they needed something to exercise their legs and relieve intense boredom (remember 17th, 18th, 19th century > no TV, radio, stereos, computers, etc) So, the Sailor's Hornpipe tune was composed on board ship, and it reflects the bouncy, rocking rhythm of the ocean groundswells, which transfer into the ship.

Over the centuries, dozens more hornpipe tunes were composed and played, all having that characteristic ocean rolling rhythm in their melodies. Generally, they have the word "Hornpipe" in their title, preceded by some other word (ex. Fisher's Hornpipe, Durham's Hornpipe, Monroe's Hornpipe, etc)

This is one of the longest lasting facets of culture in the world, as UK sailors still dance the Sailor's Hornpipe dance as part of the Royal Navy procedure, as do sailors in the navies of British dominion countries (ex. India, New Zealand, Belize-formerly British Honduras). The dance is also done by sea cadets as part of their military training for the navy of their respective countries. It mimics the movements of sailors on board old clipper ships, in climbing rope ladders, pulling ropes, rowing , etc It is done without a partner, and usually in large groups of sailors.

The song (and the dance) often starts out in a moderately slow tempo, and speeds up to faster tempos after each completion of the standard 32 bars of the tune - giving the sailors quite a workout.

Because the British colonized the world (87 countries I think), and Sailor's Hornpipe went everywhere they went, it spread worldwide. When sailors went into pubs in the colonized countries the native people learned the tune (and dance) also.

Here's few examples :

This is from Navy Day in India (December 9, 2015) The video starts with a loud parade, but at 2:30 of the time bar, the India Navy sea cadet schoolgirls dance the Sailors Hornpipe (you can scroll to it > 2:30 on the time bar) or just watch the preceding parade, which is just 2 and a half minutes.

Sailor's Hornpipe

Most people in America know this tune (which is also a 407 year old dance) as the lead-in music in the old Popeye the Sailor Man cartoons. That's where first heard it. In the UK and British dominion countries, however, the Sailor's Hornpipe has a much bigger and significant meaning than that. It is the national tune of England, and is a bedrock of British culture, with a history dating back to 1609 AD, when it was first known to be played on the fiddle on old, wooden clipper ships (the ones with the huge sails) as a way of providing the sailors exercise and recreation.

Since they didn't walk too much on a ship, and sometime were away at sea for months, they needed something to exercise their legs and relieve intense boredom (remember 17th, 18th, 19th century > no TV, radio, stereos, computers, etc) So, the Sailor's Hornpipe tune was composed on board ship, and it reflects the bouncy, rocking rhythm of the ocean groundswells, which transfer into the ship.

Over the centuries, dozens more hornpipe tunes were composed and played, all having that characteristic ocean rolling rhythm in their melodies. Generally, they have the word "Hornpipe" in their title, preceded by some other word (ex. Fisher's Hornpipe, Durham's Hornpipe, Monroe's Hornpipe, etc)

This is one of the longest lasting facets of culture in the world, as UK sailors still dance the Sailor's Hornpipe dance as part of the Royal Navy procedure, as do sailors in the navies of British dominion countries (ex. India, New Zealand, Belize-formerly British Honduras). The dance is also done by sea cadets as part of their military training for the navy of their respective countries. It mimics the movements of sailors on board old clipper ships, in climbing rope ladders, pulling ropes, rowing , etc It is done without a partner, and usually in large groups of sailors.

The song (and the dance) often starts out in a moderately slow tempo, and speeds up to faster tempos after each completion of the standard 32 bars of the tune - giving the sailors quite a workout.

Because the British colonized the world (87 countries I think), and SAilor's Hornpipr went everywhere they went, it spread worldwide. When sailors went into pubs in the colonized countries the native people learned the tune (and dance) also.

Here's few examples :

This is from Navy Day in India (December 9) The video start with a loud parade, but at 2:30 of the time bar, the India Navy sea cadet schoolgirls dance the Sailors Hornpipe (you can scroll to it > 2:30 on the time bar) or just watch the preceding parade, which is just 2 and a half minutes.

Sailor's Hornpipe

Because the British colonized the world (87 countries I think), and SAilor's Hornpipr went everywhere they went, it spread worldwide. When sailors went into pubs in the colonized countries the native people learned the tune (and dance) also.

Here's few examples :

This is from Navy Day in India (December 9) The video start with a loud parade, but at 2:30 of the time bar, the India Navy sea cadet schoolgirls dance the Sailors Hornpipe (you can scroll to it > 2:30 on the time bar) or just watch the preceding parade, which is just 2 and a half minutes.

On board navy ships, British sailors were required to dance hornpipe fiddle tunes (usually Sailor's Hornpipe). In many British dominion countries they still do. It was the usual procedure to start the tune slowly and play it the first time through (32 bars). Then, the second time it would be a little faster. Then the 3rd time faster. This was to allow the sailors to toughen up to it. Here's the tune played by a very fine fiddler (she's also a classical violinist) exactly the way it's been played on British ships for hundreds of years.

Besides being the #1 most played, listened to, and danced to tune in the world for over 400 years, Sailor's Hornpipe is also the National Tune of England. Here is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Paegant (2012)

Oh was that last post too formal ? Here's one a bit less formal. It's from the 1985 movie The Bounty. It has a fiddler playing a tune I actully don't recognize (even though I play the fiddle myself), and the sailors doing their required dance exercise.

Einstein would be able to figure out how to post an image.

Tell that to the people who set up this forum. They're the ones out of step. And this whole thread is out of step from the topic, but then I've come to expect that in this forum. You guys might not don't know how peculiar you are. geez.gif

Tell that to the people who set up this forum. They're the ones out of step. And this whole thread is out of step from the topic[SIZE], but then I've come to expect that in this forum. You guys might not don't know how peculiar you are. View attachment 3288

The real peculiar guy here can't figure out how to post a picture.

Brian-Regan-Dumb-Look.gif

LOL

The real peculiar guy here can't figure out how to post a picture.

No it's this antiquated dumbass forum that is peculiar,

Does THIS (Post # 28) look like I don't know how to post pictures ? Dumbass.

http://www.politicaljack.com/thread...st-listened-to-tune-in-the-world.93236/page-2

Anyway, we're past that. enough alreadyTalk about the TOPIC or get out of the thread.

And when you can play 1/10 of all the fiddle tunes on one instrument, that I can play on 2 (mandolin & fiddle) THEN you can talk about dumb.

In the meantime, this forum is what's dumb. You all need to get with it, not me. I'm doing it the 2016 correct way.

Now the leave thread alone. It's a good thread, about an important and nice topic, that you are getting educated to - YOU'RE WELCOME.

Last edited:
Back