R.I.P. Ma...

Grief is a process not a singular event. What you feel is what you feel. There is no right or wrong way to feel. Don't worry about it.

And my condolences for your loss. My Mom died back in 1997, and my Dad in 2004. I still miss them both.

I don't know why I'm posting this here. Almost none of you will care. But it's my own little thing I guess.

If you couldn't guess from the title, my ma died yesterday at around 4:30am. On March 15th last year she was in a horrible car accident that left her with 3 breaks in her neck. It was a miracle she survived that. Afterwords she was somewhat paralyzed from the waist down. Since then she had also been doing physical therapy to try and heal her spine and walk again. She was doing so good, and we all felt she was going to walk in another 6 months or so. Maybe with a walker, but walk none the less.

However on March 15th this year, she found out that she had terminal cancer. We don't know the point of origin, didn't really care to find out. What would it matter? In any case they gave her 6 months at max. That's part of the reason for my reduced posting (if any of you had noticed).

Anyways, I'm not sure what to say. I really wish I could say I'm broken up about it, but in all honesty I'm not. I loved my mom more than anything, but I'm happy she doesn't have to suffer. It just feels weird to me, that I'm not deeply saddened or anything.

Well there's my sob story. Like I said, I don't know why I'm posting it, but I consider some of you guys friends.

I'm very sorry to hear this. My sympathy to you and your family.

Also for some reason I thought chapdog started this thread. I am really losing it.

WCC, that sucks. Makes me realize my parents are probably going to die soon too. And then after that, I'm screwed. That's why we all need to support transhumanism

If life extension technology ever comes into play, we probably aren't going to know until it's right upon us. Saying that a technology is "50 years or so away" is the most pointless prediction that you can make. People typically predict that life-extension technologies will come into play just shortly before they die.

The running logic is that we don't have to expect such rapid progress to happen all at once, but smaller leaps that help us bridge over to the next step. This bridge will then get us to the next stage, etc. I find it highly plausible. The technology already exists in growing new organs from stem cells, etc (I think they've already done a spleen)

The thing about predictions is that they're all full of shit and nothing ever works out like you planned. That's why I don't trust the singularity.

I'm so sorry, Billy. Both for your losing her, and I understand why you feel as you do, and especially for the hell she went through the last 13 months. I think it's an expression of love that you don't want her to suffer any more.

When my father died I found it hard to function. It seemed strange that the weather was great and people were having fun. I feel for ya, dude.

I don't mind. What is singularity? In this context I mean.

The basic idea is that as technology advances, those technologies will spur on more and more technological advances. When we invent complicated AI, that AI can make AI more complicated than itself, and so on, and so on, producing a sudden and massive increase in the amount of technological advance.

A "singularity", in math, is a spot on the graph where the line starts hyperbolically approaching infinity, which is the concept here:

singularity.jpg

And the general idea for how this will effect humanity.

But I'm personally skeptical of the singularity. It sounds too utopic. Maybe it will be the basis for a future evil communist empire?

Back