Ramen

Oh I bet a good part of the Asian audience was offended by that comment.

I doubt it, the Asians use it as an ingredient they don't serve it as a drink because it tastes like hell without the balance of the rest of the ingredients.

Seriously, if you are tasting, say, garlic powder directly before you add it to food do you think it is delicious?

Oh, and Mott, remember to answer without trying to defend the honor of your wife who was not attacked. Fish sauce was attacked, because alone it tastes like, apparently, death.

http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2009/12/01/100-awesome-ramen-recipes-for-starving-college-students/

Some sound pretty good.

Ham Ramen Dishes

1. Fry 1 cup diced ham in 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Add cup green peas and cook until tender. Stir in package of ramen seasoning packet, teaspoon garlic powder, boiled ramen noodles and three chopped green onions.
2. Make a ham ramen frittata by melting a tablespoon of butter in a large ovenproof skillet and adding 3 sliced scallions and 4 slices of deli ham diced. Cook three minutes and then pour over 6 beaten eggs that have been mixed with 2 packages boiled ramen noodles and one chicken-flavored ramen packet. Shake pan to evenly distribute and top with cup shredded cheddar cheese. Place skillet in preheated 350-degree oven and bake until egg is set, about 6 to 8 minutes.
3. For ham and cheese ramen, boil a package of noodles with the seasoning packet. Drain noodles and stir in cup each diced ham and cheese. Cover the sauce pan and allow to sit for 5 minutes so the cheese melts.

BTW - I had some Ramen just this very night... I put in some faux duck from the Asian store and some vegetables. It was tasty.

Yeah, because now is indicative of what it was like 20 years ago when I was in the Navy. If you go by that standard the 40 or so channels available on Cable really were 500, the internet was everywhere and there never were 7000 baud modems.

BTW - I watched a chick on that extreme coupon show my wife loves so much buy Ramen in California from a regular supermarket... She got the ones that with a coupon gave her a $.05 bonus and bought a ton of the things getting a bunch of meat for free because of the extra 5 cents...

Also, that was the first time I ever saw some in a can in my life. I had no idea such a horrible thing existed. Instead I simply made my own tortillas...

Many - many - many years ago; a friend of minem who grew up in New York, was living in AZ and ended up marrying a childhood sweetheart from New York; who had also moved out here.

Eventually they both moved back to New York; but about 3 or 4 times a year he would fly out here to visit and to check on a house they had and were renting out.
Every time he returned to New York, he would take several dozen of my wife's home made tortillas and 3 or 4 bottles of her salsa.
His biggest complaint was that he couldn't find tortillas or good salsa; but then, this was quite a while ago.
He tried to talk us into moving to New York and opening a Mexican Resturant. He said we would probably have a line waiting outside, waiting on a table to clear, within a week.

We thought about it; but he was kind of "connected" and I really didn't want to have LARGE Gentlemen in "trench coats" with reserved tables, being our biggest customers.

He tried for years to talk us into it.
Thinking back; it might not have been such a bad idea, after all.

He passed in 1988; but we're still really good friends with his wife.

I doubt it, the Asians use it as an ingredient they don't serve it as a drink because it tastes like hell without the balance of the rest of the ingredients.

Seriously, if you are tasting, say, garlic powder directly before you add it to food do you think it is delicious?
Oh you're absolutely right. When you smell it it smell like what it is, fermented rotten fish, same if you taste, heat and acidity though kill that aroma and it does a wonderfull job of enhancing and rounding out savory flavors. I remember when my wife first turned me on to it I thought it was disgusting, until I was showed how to use it properly.

Oh, and Mott, remember to answer without trying to defend the honor of your wife who was not attacked. Fish sauce was attacked, because alone it tastes like, apparently, death.
LOL No, I'm defending it because I actually like it. For example I made Thai Chicken Curry last night and with out adding a tablespoon of fish sauce it would have been very bland. Well not bland, it was to spicy. It was more balanced. It brought out the savory flavors which would have been otherwise overwhelmed by the chillis. :)

Last edited:
Back